Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk 
Thread started 07 Aug 2015 (Friday) 17:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Could you help me out with this architectural shot?

Munirhamdan
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by Munirhamdan.

Aug 07, 2015 17:54 |  #1

Hello all! This is my first post in this forum and I wanted to see if anyone could help me out with a shot I just can´t nail.

A little background:
So, I have always considered myself an advanced amateur, meaning I have a nice amount of gear, enjoy the hell out of it, use it constantly but up until a week ago I had never earned a dime using it. Being an amateur photographer can be deceiving, you go out, shoot hundreds of pics, choose a couple you like and feel like a pro. But, once you grab an assignment you have to raise the bar by a hell of a lot. It simply makes you respect the craft of photography a hell of a lot more.

The Gear:
As I said, I have a nice amount of gear:
-Davis and Sanford tripod
-Sony A99
-Sony CZ 24-70mm f2.8
-Sony 20mm f2.8
-Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art
-HVL-43m flash

The Asignment:
Photographing a University Campus for their website and online magazine.

The issue:
Ok, I never told or implied to the client that I was an A class architectural photographer. I just haven´t earned that title yet. Still, he liked my interior & Exterior shots of random buildings I´ve found interesting around Mexico City. So I was hired.

The facilities are simply awesome. It´s an old building adapted to the 21st century and they did a great job with the decor. But, being an old building in Mexico City, the spaces are really reduced.

(Straight out of camera JPEGs)

Picture A:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ok, so the weather was not helping out that day. It was rainy and I could not get anything interesting in the sky. I don´t find the image appalling just not interesting at all. The big issue is space, I barely managed to squeeze that image into frame with the 20mm on a full frame camera. In all honesty, I love fish eye lenses(even if I just sold mine) but I never thought I´d meet a shot that demanded anything wider than 20mm! But, right behind me there was a huge concrete wall and I just could not get around that limitation.

Picture B:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I know the pic is a bit slanted, but that´s an easy fix. The big issue is that this building has a bunch of huge trees a few feet away from it, you can see them in the frame at the top of the pic.

To fix the shot I decided to tell the client that due to the weather I would like to retake those images. The reshoot is this Monday at 9:00 AM. I can´t seem to get a hold of any photographer friend that has anything wider, so, I´m guessing there is a way to deal with this that I have just not thought about. The pay wasn´t much, but my priority is not saving time and resources, it´s having a happy customer and pride in my work.

Thank you all for pitching in! I will post the resulting images after the reshoot.

sponsored links
farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 09, 2015 19:56 |  #2

You need a ladder or stand on top of a van or something, you are to low.

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 09, 2015 21:32 |  #3

The reshoot is this Monday at 9:00 AM.

Why 9 AM? Why not 6 AM? Or 8 PM? Are you sure that 9 AM is when the light makes it look it's best?

I can´t seem to get a hold of any photographer friend that has anything wider, so, I´m guessing there is a way to deal with this that I have just not thought about.

Sometimes you can shoot several images & assemble them into a panorama. But I haven't tried it with that much wide angle distortion. Photostitch should be on the CD that came with your Canon. I've used it & it works well.

Tips on shooting panoramic photos

Panorama software, the best?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,714 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 09, 2015 21:56 |  #4

No amount of photoshop is going to make those images usable. You need to be farhter back, and higher up to lessen the distortion. A wider lens wouldn't help here as the keystone distirion would be even more dramatic. Is there a building across the street or somwhere you can shoot from a higher angle?

iAMB
847 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 10, 2015 15:39 |  #5

Talk to them and see if you can have more access to certain areas that would normally be off limits. Such as on top of building, etc.... I can imagine they can fulfill your request, being the school is the one who hired you,

Canon 6D Mk I
24-70mm F/4L , 70-200mm F/4L , 50mm 1.8 I , Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 & 35mm F/1.4
"I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning"
-Adam

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by BlakeC.

Aug 10, 2015 15:41 |  #6

iAMB wrote in post #17663869 (external link)
Talk to them and see if you can have more access to certain areas that would normally be off limits. Such as on top of building, etc.... I can imagine they can fulfill your request, being the school is the one who hired you,

+1

Also, I noticed you said SOOC JPEGS. I would shoot RAW that way you will have more control in post. Not sure if the a99 offers it, but possibly RAW+JPEG if you aren't comfortable with RAW yet.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 23, 2015 23:18 |  #7

Others have made good suggestions.
Study architectural images (good ones, not the crap that comes up in a Google image search) Architectural Record is a good start.

When looking at the images, ask yourself these questions.

Where is the photographer standing? What time of day is it? Where is the sun in relation to the building? What is the weather? How high or low are they in relation to the building? Are there trees? Did he get on top of an adjacent building? Did he shoot out a window? What is the relation of a building to its neighbor? Did he want people in the scene to show life? Did he shoot at night? Does he use vertical compositions?

Why are you constrained to 9AM? Is that the only time you are allowed near the building?

Architectural photography is an exploration of a space to get a view that makes sense to someone that is not there.
Try to explain the space with as few images as possible.

sponsored links

3,518 views & 3 likes for this thread
Could you help me out with this architectural shot?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.