Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Aug 2015 (Friday) 17:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have You Ever "Checked" Camera Gear

Bogino
513 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 21, 2015 17:01 |  #1

When traveling on an airplane? Is that absolute "no way" or would you pack a lens or 2 in checked baggage?

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
rdalrt
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 21, 2015 17:27 |  #2

Regular checked baggage? No.

Last time I flew with my gear (couple years ago) I had to gate check my Think Tank Airport Intl. with a couple 1D4's, 400 2.8, 70-200, 24-70, 16-35 and misc. other stuff. Was none to happy about that. But at least since it was gate checked, I was able to actually stand and watch the handlers load the bag on the plane before I boarded.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,894 posts
Gallery: 403 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 21, 2015 17:32 |  #3

rdalrt wrote in post #17677995 (external link)
Regular checked baggage? No.

Last time I flew with my gear (couple years ago) I had to gate check my Think Tank Airport Intl. with a couple 1D4's, 400 2.8, 70-200, 24-70, 16-35 and misc. other stuff. Was none to happy about that. But at least since it was gate checked, I was able to actually stand and watch the handlers load the bag on the plane before I boarded.

Then it goes up a steeply inclined jiggly conveyer belt without sides. Most of the bags reach the top without issue, but I have seen some fall off. Scary.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 21, 2015 17:35 |  #4

Archibald wrote in post #17678003 (external link)
Then it goes up a steeply inclined jiggly conveyer belt without sides. Most of the bags reach the top without issue, but I have seen some fall off. Scary.

Heh, true. But this was at a little regional kind of airport and we were out on the tarmac. So stood right there watching it get put on the little conveyor and taken off at the top. Thankfully everything worked out. And thankfully, I very rarely need to fly with my gear.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,322 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post edited over 4 years ago by Dan Marchant. (2 edits in all)

Aug 21, 2015 18:07 |  #5

The airline aren't going to accept any responsibility for loss or damage by baggage handlers, or if they do the totals are limited to a few hundred $ and certainly won't cover the cost of a bunch of photo kit. So it better be insured up the wazzo and in a bomb proof pelican case.

Canadian handlers dropping cases down a stairway - https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=t8EBjRkqUp0 (external link)

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Gallery: 703 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 21, 2015 18:12 |  #6

It is generally not the baggage handlers that are the problem, it is the conveyor system with steep drops inside the airport where most of the banging and crashing of luggage goes on.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,894 posts
Gallery: 403 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 21, 2015 18:36 |  #7

Dan Marchant wrote in post #17678043 (external link)
The airline aren't going to accept any responsibility for loss or damage by baggage handlers, or if they do the totals are limited to a few hundred $ and certainly won't cover the cost of a bunch of photo kit.

Travellers can certainly make claims for lost luggage, and for quite a bit more than a few hundred dollars. However, it is a big hassle for the traveller and success is not assured.

But lost luggage is a big hassle for the airline too, and can be very costly if there has to be a big payout or if there is litigation. Obviously if you have valuable items, take them as hand luggage. Then if the airline for whatever reason demands you check the bag containing the precious goods, inform them of what is in there and the value. It is in the airline's interests to accommodate the traveller and avoid the risk.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 21, 2015 18:51 |  #8

I used to work at O'hare airport for one of the bigger airlines there. I didn't load the planes but I was outside and have seen some horrible circumstances with luggage going up and down those belts.

Example: an entire case of small circuit boards fell off the belt at the top. Hundreds of little circuit boards were laying on the ground being stepped on, ran over by ramp service vehicles and no one picked them up until they were done unloading the plane. I started to pick them up but someone told me something else could fall off and I could get hurt.

There should be less strict rules for carrying on camera gear especially if the airlines are not going to take responsibility for it.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 21, 2015 19:17 |  #9

I myself have taken "sensitive" photo gear as "carry-on"...

Some things, such as tripods and monopods, I've checked in, no hassles there...

One time some checked in luggage was misplaced from a cross-country flight. Fortunately, the found it and got it to me. And fortunately there was no needed photo gear, just clothes, but I would definitely stow valuable stuff in the carry-on!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 21, 2015 19:31 |  #10

I'll check tripods, monopods, chargers, tools and extra batteries. Anything else is in bags sized and styled (clearly soft-sided and non-rolling) to be used only as carry-ons.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

tdlavigne
364 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Aug 21, 2015 19:43 |  #11

No way. I've read far too many horror stories of the schemes and tactics baggage handlers or TSA agents have for theft of valuable items. I also know a pair of people who've had items stolen (one a dslr, another a macbook). If I ever needed to travel and transport a lot of gear (that couldn't all fit on the plane with me), I'd try the old "Transport a gun/claim it at check in" thing. Supposedly that helps a smidge since there needs to be more strict policies in place for the transport of firearms. Even then though, there was a study that showed even then firearms and equipment packed with firearms was still stolen, albeit less often than regular luggage.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 21, 2015 19:47 |  #12

Never. I ALWAYS carry my camera gear with me.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 24, 2015 03:36 |  #13

Here is my test to decide which gear can go in the hold and which comes in the cabin.

Put the piece of equipment in a bag and throw it out of a 2nd floor window - twice. Then run over it with a truck. Finally, leave it unattended in a busy street for two hours.

If it survives that lot intact and unstolen, then it's safe to go in the hold.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,999 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 24, 2015 05:43 |  #14

hollis_f wrote in post #17680711 (external link)
Here is my test to decide which gear can go in the hold and which comes in the cabin.

Put the piece of equipment in a bag and throw it out of a 2nd floor window - twice. Then run over it with a truck. Finally, leave it unattended in a busy street for two hours.

If it survives that lot intact and unstolen, then it's safe to go in the hold.

A friend of mine takes the rubbish home from his shop, so that he doesn't have to pay commercial refuse prices. One evening he put the box, all taped up so it didn't spill, with the day's trash on the ground outside the front door of the shop. He had to step back inside for something and as he did so someone took their opportunity grabbed the "parcel" running off at top speed. I would have loved to see the thief's face when he got to open his prize. Would have been even funnier if the thief had been caught in the act, the consequences would be the same regardless of the contents of the stolen package.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Savethemoment
488 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 24, 2015 07:20 |  #15

No freaking way. It comes with me as carry on. Which leaves not much space for other carry on, like books and food and stuff. But I'm happy to suffer for my art ;-)a

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

sponsored links

4,184 views & 4 likes for this thread
Have You Ever "Checked" Camera Gear
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.