Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Mar 2015 (Monday) 09:30
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "If you have owned a BlackRapid strap, please choose below and report on what has been your experience?"
RS-4 Classic
15.2%
RSS-Sport Extreme
12%
RSS-L Sport Extreme (for left-handed shooters)
1.3%
RSS-2 Sport 2 (slim)
4.4%
RSS-2 L Sport 2 (slim, for left handed shooters)
0%
RS-5 Cargo Ballistic
6.3%
RS-7 Curve
31.6%
RS-W1 Elle for women
1.3%
RS-2SW Kick Sling (for women)
0%
DR-2 Double Strap
13.9%
DR-2 Slim Double Strap
1.3%
Metro Sling
3.8%
Yeti Dual Harness (convertible to single sling)
1.9%
Yeti Slim Dual Harness (convertible to single sling)
1.3%
35-inch Shot
0%
63-inch Cross Shot
1.3%
Wrist Strap
3.2%
Binoc Strap
0%
Backpack Strap
0.6%
Tether Strap or Kit
0.6%

125 voters, 158 votes given (10 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BlackRapid poll and feedback

Lumens
384 posts
Joined Dec 2013

May 08, 2015 08:50 |  #31

OK, This thread just cost me!!!

I have the RS-7 and have been very happy with it, but I find many times I want two cameras with me - my 7D and 6D. I have also found my Carabiners do come lose at times. So I just ordered the Yeti Slim Dual Harness with Locking Carabiners.

I could really use it this weekend as I plan to be in an area with great landscapes and great wildlife so the 7D/100-400 and 6D/24-105 combination would work really well. Problem is the harness won't arrive until middle of next week.

FUJI XT1 -> XF 10-24, XF 18-55, XF 55-200, XF 27mm pancake
6D -> Canon 28mm f2.8 IS, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro IS
Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon EF 70-200 f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400L IS
7D -> Canon EF-S 15-85

sponsored links
Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,702 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 25, 2015 09:06 |  #32

I just bought a wrist strap. It is good for what it is. I like it because I don't have to remove the Fastenr. It's kind of overpriced for what it is, though. $20?! I was thinking of getting one for each body... but I don't really need a second wrist strap.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 26, 2015 11:43 |  #33

I had the RS4 for a long time, but the things I didn't like about it included the carabiner as far as squeakiness (used dry lube on it) and how the carabiner would sometimes get locked up too tight and needed pliers to unscrew. The strap would twist underneath the shoulder pad from time to time. I'm sure this would be better with the newer straps that are wider as the RS4 is probably 1" wide (don't have it near me).

I had switched to using the RS4 permanently attached to a RRS quick release clamp, which then attached to the Arca Swiss style plates on my camera(s).

I then currently took that model and just switched up to using an ECHONiNER strap connected to a BlackRapid FastenR, which is threadlocked to a RRS QR clamp.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/572/20414031958_4d1b2f6093_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.ocabj.net/2​015-camera-strap-setup/  (external link)

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

ThreeHounds
718 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Aug 26, 2015 16:03 |  #34

I recently got the RS-7. Use it with my gripped 5dmklll, often with the 70-300 L. It balances well and keeps the camera right where I can grab it. I's attached to a Sirui TY-LP70 Arca Swiss plate.
When reading reviews, i became a little pranoid by lots of folks saying they didn't trust the mounting screw to not unthread itself, so I just added a couple drops of Locktite. between that and the rubber washer, it's staying put.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Trugga
648 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 26, 2015 16:18 |  #35

I've has the Black Rapid RS DR-1 Double Strap (not listed in poll) for about 6 months.

Used mostly as a single but on a couple of occasions a double.

As a single it is a really comfortable way to cary & use the camera, with either wide or large zoom lenses. As a double, I find I'm having to support both cameras when moving/walking around.

I like the system, I like the brand proveance, the system appears secure and gives conficence (not to mention the lack of neck ache after a day out)
Dislike the price, especially as I bought 2x Black Rapid FastenR-T1 for Use with Manfrotto RC2 Plates as well

Lawrence

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,702 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 27, 2015 08:04 |  #36

Trugga wrote in post #17684015 (external link)
I've has the Black Rapid RS DR-1 Double Strap (not listed in poll) for about 6 months.

Thanks for your feedback, Trugga. Give me a couple of days to check and see if I'm missing other straps and I'll contact a moderator to see if we can add additional selections on the poll.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

BossBob
66 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 30, 2015 03:51 |  #37

My wife and I have had various rs straps since 2009. They work well until you need to carry a backpack when you can get into a tangle with too many straps, or use a walking pole when the camera either gets in the way or swings. I'm not a fan of the solution for securing the caribenier finding it difficult to remove the caribenier from the t1 with a manfrotto rc2 tripod plate fitted to a camera. I'm currently trying a Peak Design CapturePro mounted on my belt or backpack strap.

Pencilnink
55 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 08, 2015 03:50 |  #38

I have an RS-7 and have used it for years. These straps work great even if I put a backpack strap over it.

blackjack999
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 22, 2015 10:26 |  #39

Have the RS-Sport 2 (slim) : don't use it anymore. I dont like the way the camera moves when attached to this strap.
And I wanted a strap that I could remove/put easily. That's why I get a Slide from Peak Design.

7D l 24mm f/.14 Art
Flickr (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 22, 2015 10:34 |  #40

I have the BR Double. I used it for weddings but I can't stand it anymore. It is comfortable with 2 cameras and sits well on your shoulders. I adjust the cameras to be at my waist but you cannot adjust them too short or you don't have enough slack to pull your camera up and use it easily, especially if you try to turn it for portrait orientation. The double is great if you are just standing in one spot and don't crouch. The cameras swing horrible so you have to hold them at your side with your hands. I like to get low; so if I crouch one camera will hit the ground. I do like taking the harness apart and using it has a single camera sling.

I ordered the Spider Holster Pro Double. That seems much more promising to use with 2 cameras.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Lyndön.

Oct 18, 2015 19:56 |  #41

RS-5 Cargo and original DR-1 Double Strap here.

I love the straps, but honestly I've rarely used the cargo portion of the RS-5. I used to keep my phone in the pocket occasionally until iPhones grew too big to fit. I may have used the zipper once or twice.

The RS-5 is my everyday strap, and the double strap gets used for weddings with two gripped bodies and I wouldn't be without it. I've never had an issue with swinging or with cameras touching the ground when crouching. I use the little elastic band in the back, and the cameras tuck into the small of my back when not being used... if I'm going to be walking any distance I use the front bumper to lock the camera in place. It takes just a second to snap and unsnap.

GEAR LIST

Lester ­ Wareham
26,465 posts
Gallery: 2291 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Lester Wareham.

Nov 28, 2015 12:34 |  #42

Using Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap with a 7DII and Tamron 150-600.

It is much more comfortable than a conventional strap and putting the TMA plate into the backpack load belt which was my previous method.

I have these observations, which are not necessarily the straps fault, but are specific use case related:

1. Take care if on uneven ground or climbing around; I slipped in a wet chalk path (first time out with the strap). Because the strap hangs low the kit it swings like a big pendulum, I could not hold onto it and use my arm to break my fall. The kit came in hard on the pentaprism and TMA and dug out quite a bit of chalk but thankfully seems OK. I was luck not to break my wrist of something.

2. With that particular lens and the strap mounted on the TMA foot the AF switch rubs against my hip and gets switched off. The work around is to rotate the lens on the TMA, although this means the TMA is over the camera grip and gets in the way a bit. Another workaround might be a fat rubber band over the switch tbc.

3. The lens carried this way sticks out for and aft so to speak, taking a lot more space up and likely to get knocked in crowded and confined situations.

4. If wearing a backpack the strap needs go underneath. With correct adjustment this does not inhibit use too significantly but can get in the way of getting the pack on and off a bit.

So to summarise it is a good system but not suitable for all situations.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 28, 2015 18:46 |  #43

i had the RS-4 classic version of there strap for about two weeks! couldn't get the HANG of my camera/lens hanging upside down and really never trusted that hook at the bottom!i think thats why they keep trying to improve this system!so i just ended up going back to my tamrac with quick clips.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

appdroid
78 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 09, 2015 14:49 |  #44

I have received my DR-2 might have an event on the 26th of this month. Hoping to get better feel after using all day. I will update once I finish the event. As of now its been serving me good. Just haven't used all day for an event yet.

5D MKII Gripped l 60D Gripped l 24-70 2.8 L l 70-200 2.8 L l 16-28 2.8 l 50 1.4
http://www.Picturesque​byAP.com (external link) flickr (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Dec 09, 2015 14:51 |  #45

To follow up on my previous post...
Spider Pro is amazing! So comfortable! The camera stays at my waste, doesn't swing around, it's locked in place and will not fall out, has a quick release if i need to grab it quick, i can leave it unlocked, it has a pad for the camera to rest against. AWESOME!

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

sponsored links

12,436 views & 5 likes for this thread
BlackRapid poll and feedback
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.