Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Aug 2015 (Monday) 14:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moving files from Apple Aperture to Apple Photo's

offtheroad
259 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 24, 2015 14:19 |  #1

How is the best way to migrate files from Apple Aperture Library and Aperture Vault to Apple Photo's

"You don't know how far you can go, untill you've gone too far."

MikeWL
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Aug 28, 2015 13:49 |  #2

I don't have an answer to your exact question, but I would advise that you make sure you are 100% positive that you want to do it before you start.

I use iPhoto and Aperture together. Aperture is more powerful, but iPhoto is more user-friendly for the rest of the family. A few months ago I wasn't paying attention to the Apple Software Update and I let it install and migrate me to Photos. It didn't take long to realize how much I hate Photos. It is a dumbed-down version of iPhoto, meant to be used by people taking snapshots with their iPhones, not photographers. MANY of the cool organizational features of iPhoto are simply gone. SO, I migrated myself BACK to iPhoto. It still runs just fine along with Aperture.

The problem is Aperture is no longer being supported by Apple. We'll probably be able to run it for a few years, but eventually we won't be able to. I'm hoping they see the error of their ways before I have to find another solution. I know Lightroom and some other tools are WAY better. But I'm an amateur and don't want to spend that kind of money.

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM

connor8100
71 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by connor8100.

Aug 30, 2015 06:09 |  #3

I am in the same boat, think I will let Aperture be my DAM until I upgrade the computer which will be this year, I hope. I did purchase Affinity photo from the app store and have found it to be quite powerful. It's a low cost ($49) alternative to photoshop. At this point, photo's does not really allow external editors but that is supposed to be remedied by Apple in a future update. I will probably migrate to Photo's and have Affinity do the heavy lifting so to speak. At the very least you may want to check out the Affinity forums and their tutorials on vimeo. By the way I am in know way connected with Affinity. There is a lack of documentation because of the newness of the software but there seems to be plenty of help. I am running Affinity on a 2008 iMac with 4 gigs of ram , not super fast but not a lot worse then aperture runs. Hope this helps. Chris

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

664 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moving files from Apple Aperture to Apple Photo's
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.