Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Sep 2015 (Wednesday) 11:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I have my body and lens professionally cleaned after dust/sand exposure?

pawelx
389 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 02, 2015 11:37 |  #1

I've been using my combo (Canon 6d + 24-105 f/4 lens) for about 3 years now, but primarily only on foreign trips so ~15k shots, 10 weeks of intensive usage in total maybe.

I often shoot in dusty locations, whether a windy beach, safari trip, etc.

I don't see any particles of sand on the sensor, and always make sure that when I change lenses, I do so with the camera pointing downwards, and to swap lenses in the minimum amount of time. So hopefully no or not much dust inside the body. However, I worry that dust/sand particles have been blown onto the outside of camera body, and onto the lens, and that by zooming in and out I've been sucking those particles inside the lens.

Is this a valid worry, and should I spend the almost £300 that I've been quoted to have body and lens completely taken apart and thoroughly cleaned?
My worry is that if I don't do it for long enough, the lens will eventually jam, or body stop working. Is it a valid worry?

Canon 6D, 24-105 f/4 , 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500
Lenses previously owned: 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Tamron 18-270...

sponsored links
pawelx
THREAD ­ STARTER
389 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 03, 2015 11:07 |  #2

apologies for shamelessly bumping my own post like this, but does no-one here actually ever shoot in dusty conditions, or has their lens professionally cleaned?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,408 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 03, 2015 21:46 |  #3

Heya,

You're worrying for what here?

Take a white piece of paper and have it well light. Stop down your lens to F22 and expose the white paper (long exposure if you have to), at base ISO. Take look at it and see if you notice any dust particles or stuff on your sensor. If you don't see any obvious issues, then you're worrying for nothing. Dust in a lens doesn't change anything, so no need to worry about that.

If you do find you have tons of dust and it's actually effecting images, then sure, pay up and have it cleaned if you want, if you feel it's affecting your images in a way that leaves you uneasy.

I would never pay £300 for a cleaning. That's crazy talk.

You're over-worrying.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,384 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 03, 2015 21:49 |  #4

Google and watch you tube and you'll see it is not as fearful as you think.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

pawelx
THREAD ­ STARTER
389 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 04, 2015 09:48 as a reply to  @ Naturalist's post |  #5

I'm not seeing any symptoms of dust being inside the camera at the moment. I'll do the white-sheet experiment as per your suggestion, but from the photos I've taken, I can't see any issues.

I worried that accumulated dust would cause the lens to jam, or camera electronics to stop working...

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,391 posts
Gallery: 442 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 04, 2015 10:26 |  #6

pawelx wrote in post #17694766 (external link)
I'm not seeing any symptoms of dust being inside the camera at the moment. I'll do the white-sheet experiment as per your suggestion, but from the photos I've taken, I can't see any issues.

I worried that accumulated dust would cause the lens to jam, or camera electronics to stop working...

Is there sand IN the lens? Do the rings feel gritty when you turn them?

If your sensor is dirty, clean it your self. I've had my sensor "cleaned professionally" It came back just as bad but the spots were moved around.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

frlaf108
31 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Sep 04, 2015 10:57 |  #7

I'd recommend a professionnal cleaning a you state and a lookup. I wouldnt take any chances of later damages that could occur (uncertainty)

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 04, 2015 12:57 |  #8

Some people will spend huge amounts of time and money to keep their gear in pristine condition.

Others go out and take photos.

If you don't have issues with your images then don't worry about it. Manual cleaning of the sensor occasionally is probably a good idea. I wouldn't pay someone else to do it.

Lenses are surprisingly robust. Having one fail in some way because of a bit of dust is very unlikely. Even if you can see dust on the internal elements it is very unlikely to have an impact on the image.

These tools are meant to be used.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,003 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 07, 2015 14:36 |  #9

I don't think your worries are valid at all. I shoot in huge amounts of dust. And sand. And wind-blown ash from wildfires. And I have never actually even thought about having my gear "professionally cleaned".

If you see a real, tangible problem, then maybe take a moment or two to blow out your body with a rocket blower. But to worry about things that you can not even feel or see seems to be senseless. Just shoot and enjoy the extreme conditions that you are able to capture!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,146 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by ed rader. (2 edits in all)

Sep 07, 2015 14:48 |  #10

I get my camera cleaned once a year whether it needs it or not. used to do it myself but I now let a shop do it. lenses, never, except for the glass which I do myself. and I shoot frequently and often in very tough conditions.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

pawelx
THREAD ­ STARTER
389 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 08, 2015 04:18 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #11

thank you everyone for replies. I asked half-expecting everyone here to tell me that they do get their kit cleaned, professionally and frequently. Sounds like I've been worrying unnecessarily

sponsored links

2,646 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I have my body and lens professionally cleaned after dust/sand exposure?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.