Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Sep 2015 (Tuesday) 22:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mixing strobes with a speedlite

Shawn_BS
534 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Shawn_BS.

Sep 01, 2015 22:28 |  #1

I recently got a great deal on two Alien Bees B800 strobes with the radio transmitters. I already own a 580exii. When I tried to mix the two in ETTL mode, I'm only seeing the 580 in the images. I think that's due to the pre-flash setting off the strobes. I switched it to manual, and now it's intermittent when I see both in the images.

I'm assuming I will need to switch to something like radio poppers to get the system to work, so my question is this: Has anyone else has this issue and solved it without the additional purchase of radio triggers? If I do need triggers, what would work best to set off both types of flash?

Thanks!

sponsored links
OceanRipple*
834 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by OceanRipple*.

Sep 02, 2015 03:05 |  #2

If you like the radios that trigger your ABs (?Cybersyncs) then stay with those. Then either, buy more Receivers & 'Speedlite hot-shoe adapters' for your 580Exiis - or - buy 'Ex friendly' add-on optical slave units for your Speedlites. Either way, 580ExIIs must be strictly M flash (with Canon Wireless disabled).

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 02, 2015 06:58 |  #3

need more info.

are you saying the 580 is on camera?

what does the rest of the set up look like?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,078 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 02, 2015 07:29 |  #4

Cybersyncs from paul buff are a nice mixture or reliability and value. You could also get a set of the ynrf602 triggers for a bit less. BTW radio poppers is a name brand, and you dont want them.

Green ­ Li
753 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 02, 2015 12:06 |  #5

yep. more info is needed. the you are triggering the strobes optically, is there a chance that the light from 580ex is not hitting the sensors on the strobes?

PHOTO-TIPS-ONLINE.com – photo tips, photography reviews (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Google (external link)+

Dreamz
97 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 02, 2015 14:25 |  #6

Shawn_BS wrote in post #17691911 (external link)
I'm only seeing the 580 in the images. I think that's due to the pre-flash setting off the strobes. I switched it to manual, and now it's intermittent when I see both in the images.

I'm assuming I will need to switch to something like radio poppers to get the system to work, so my question is this: Has anyone else has this issue and solved it without the additional purchase of radio triggers? If I do need triggers, what would work best to set off both types of flash?

Thanks!

I have the same issue with 600EX-RT with 2 Rovelights....When i take photos - All i see is 600EX light..for some reason.... I havent tried it with radio trigger.I didnt mess with any settings....I will try it and let u know.

Green ­ Li
753 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 02, 2015 15:29 as a reply to  @ Dreamz's post |  #7

As mentioned above, the first thing to do is switch to Manual, otherwise the TTL pre-flash will trigger the strobe prematurely.

PHOTO-TIPS-ONLINE.com – photo tips, photography reviews (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Google (external link)+

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by bsmotril.

Sep 02, 2015 21:08 |  #8

The ABs automatically go into optical slave mode when powered on and will fire on the 580's preflash UNLESS you install a null jumper plug in the ABs trigger cable socket. When shipped new, they come with the plug. If you don't have them, Radio Shack sells solder on plugs, just use one of those without any cable soldered on to it. You need to do this even if you use Buff's own radio triggers that connect via the RJ11 phone cable connect port.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

GeeMack
778 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 03, 2015 08:04 |  #9

I too have a couple of AB800s and am mixing in my 580EX II. Currently I'm using the ABs for main and fill with the 580 (snooted) as a hair light. I have a YN622 on the 580 with YN622 TX on the camera. All lights are in manual mode. I have no issues triggering the ABs with the 580 configured like this.

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C
glmphotos.zenfolio.com (external link)

Shawn_BS
THREAD ­ STARTER
534 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 03, 2015 12:32 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #10

I'm using the cybersyncs for the AB, but they don't set off the 580.

And I know, I interned at a photo studio a few years ago and they called all the triggers "radio poppers" so it's just a term I still use in general. I should have clarified that. Thanks!

Shawn_BS
THREAD ­ STARTER
534 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 03, 2015 12:33 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #11

I'm using the AB as key and fill, the speedlite is my hair light.

When I shoot in manual, it only goes off about half the time.

Shawn_BS
THREAD ­ STARTER
534 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 03, 2015 12:36 as a reply to  @ GeeMack's post |  #12

That was my main question, essentially. Would I need to get triggers to use them together. I have the cybersyncs from Buff, but the speedlite isn't firing with them.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,078 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 03, 2015 12:42 |  #13

Shawn_BS wrote in post #17693771 (external link)
That was my main question, essentially. Would I need to get triggers to use them together. I have the cybersyncs from Buff, but the speedlite isn't firing with them.

How is the speedlite configured, do you have a cybersync connected to it?

Shawn_BS
THREAD ­ STARTER
534 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 03, 2015 12:49 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #14

No, and it's in manual mode

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,078 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 03, 2015 13:01 |  #15

Shawn_BS wrote in post #17693790 (external link)
No, and it's in manual mode

It would need to be in manual mode, but how is it supposed to be triggered?

sponsored links

3,036 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mixing strobes with a speedlite
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.