Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 04 Sep 2015 (Friday) 12:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Solo Artist Poster Mini-Shoot

YankeeMom
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Gallery: 312 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by YankeeMom.

Sep 04, 2015 12:03 |  #1

I was asked to take portraits for posters that will be used for advertising this young singer and her back-up musicians. Not really my forte', but willing to give it a go! They requested at the artist be the main focus of the photos with the supporting players in the background. They also chose the location, outfits, etc. The only real input I had was time (for lighting) and positions/compositions (based on what they envisioned.) They are very pleased and I am happy enough. They are nice and reflect her nice popish/contemporary music, but not edgy. Pretty basic, "clean" processing, though I know you can do other fun things with music groups.

Anyway, always fun to try something new! (NOTE: They do not have a logo and I highly recommended that they get this girl branded. I suggested various fonts and this is the one they chose for now. Not my favorite, but I'm only here to serve.)

Feedback is welcome and ask me anything! :)

1.) This is one of two favorites that they chose for the posters.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/717/20954320529_6b72467c30_b.jpg

2.) The other file they selected for advertising/posters, etc.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/611/20518452334_59e2aace1f_b.jpg

3.) I like their choices, but still wanted to process a few more that I personally like.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5679/21114885356_6df9955ef3_b.jpg

4.) I like this, but it is far from perfect, the glaring issue being the crop at her feet, but hard to rectify without cutting off the guy's feet in the background! Not so greatly thought through on my part, but still usable if needed.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5753/20520010943_e18bb52464_b.jpg

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
connor8100
71 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 05, 2015 05:10 |  #2

Top notch work as always, lighting and processing are great. I agree that 1 and 2 are keepers, maybe lose the picnic table in 1. Maybe I'm off base here but 3 and 4 are not flattering to her hands. I do admire your work and look forward to seeing your posts. Chris

YankeeMom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 05, 2015 12:46 |  #3

Great eye on that picnic table! Not one of us noticed that. Wow. :) Thanks for the comments, too.

Kristin
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)
| Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Pinterest (external link) | Instagram (external link)

YankeeMom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by YankeeMom.

Sep 05, 2015 17:34 |  #4

OK, had to replace that photo in their gallery, so it updated here. Thanks for the great feed-back, connor8100 -- it looks a lot better. :)

Kristin
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)

vfotog
167 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 07, 2015 04:12 |  #5

the font is very fussy. I am very surprised that they chose the first two if they want her as the focus. With all of them being on the same plane, it looks as if they are a band of equals instead of a solo artist. a solo artist is usually photographed by themselves unless they are performance shots.

YankeeMom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 07, 2015 12:22 |  #6

I was a little surprised by the choice, too, vfotog. I assumed they would want the last two (my choices,) but I can see why they like them. I made sure that I closed down just in case and for that reason. As for the font, I told them that they might want to hire a designer to made a logo for her, but they are not ready for that. So, I presented several font options and that is the one they chose. (I had another idea in mind, but they love it, so . . . ) Thanks for the feedback! Music groups is certainly new for me and for them, too.

Kristin
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)

P4ulG
530 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 07, 2015 12:32 |  #7

Great work No.1 for me Very relaxed and infomal.

Canon 6D Canon 600D Canons 24-105mm L 85mm 1.4 IS L 70-300mm L. 100mm F2.8 macro L IS. 16-35mm L nifty fifty. 55-250mm IS. Speedlights Siggy DG530 super Canon EX430II Vivitar 3700

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,270 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 07, 2015 12:52 |  #8

The font looks like it was picked by the prom organizing committee. It's not the most readable or professional looking choice. It takes away from some good photos.

YankeeMom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 07, 2015 15:18 |  #9

Thanks, guys. Gonzogolf, apparently the singer "didn't care," so her mother picked it. She told me that she liked it because it is feminine and pretty (like her daughter, which is true,) but I really hope they hook up with a designer at some point and get proper branding. They are getting a lot of positive feedback on the ads, so not thinking they are motivated to change anything soon. :/

Kristin
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)

vfotog
167 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 08, 2015 03:05 |  #10

YankeeMom wrote in post #17698434 (external link)
Thanks, guys. Gonzogolf, apparently the singer "didn't care," so her mother picked it. She told me that she liked it because it is feminine and pretty (like her daughter, which is true,) but I really hope they hook up with a designer at some point and get proper branding. They are getting a lot of positive feedback on the ads, so not thinking they are motivated to change anything soon. :/

well, it is feminine and pretty, but too busy. I wouldn't have included it in the choices actually. And I think someone should have shown them the font reproduced in various sizes, including small. That's going to be hell to read on a letterhead and even worse on a card.

YankeeMom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 08, 2015 12:18 |  #11

I don't think they'll keep it long term. I highly recommended that they meet with a designer at some point and she agreed. We've used different fonts for different events. Thanks for the feedback!

Kristin
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,687 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 08, 2015 18:20 |  #12

Beautiful pictures! I wish I was this good.

The Font and its placement leave a lot to be desired. I am not a font expert by any means, but I find it hard to read quickly and often is very crowded. "White Space" is important to maintain around the words.

They could consider breaking up the first and last name on separate lines, and/or angle the words. I would especially consider placement of the words. Slightly faded and across the people would keep the eyes attention to a central focus. Placing it up top immediately draws your eyes away from the singer and group, causing confusion of what is important in the composition. Totally different situation from a Concert Poster that has a traditional block for Time/Date at bottom.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 09, 2015 13:43 |  #13

My favorite is #3, and by a pretty wide margin.

I'd like to see them without her name on them. If they're going to be used for posters, then an example of what one of those posters might look like could be cool.

Very nice work...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

YankeeMom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 09, 2015 21:16 |  #14

Thanks CanonCameraFan and Road Dog. I'm definitely pushing for a pro designer for them, CCF.

Road Dog, I made sure to give them files with no writing on them as well. For now, they wanted just their name for some ads, but others will have dates, times, etc. :)

Kristin
Calibrated with Spyder 4
Website (external link)

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
6,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 06, 2016 18:27 |  #15

Nailed that 3rd one! I like her out front bang on focus :)

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM CC & LIGHTROOM CC CLASSIC PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

sponsored links

4,392 views & 2 likes for this thread
Solo Artist Poster Mini-Shoot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.