Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Sep 2015 (Thursday) 23:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma Repair Amazingly Fast... maybe too fast?!

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by boufa.

Sep 03, 2015 23:25 |  #1

I sent in for repair a Sigma 18-250 lens, that was sort of out of warranty, the gearing for the zoom was all screwed up and twisting the lens no longer operated the zoom.

I sent it UPS to arrive on Tuesday this week, and I was just notified by UPS that Sigma is sending a package to me. Looks like it was sent the same day that my damaged lens was received.

What do you guys think happened... (I have to wait the 3 day holiday weekend to get the package from UPS)
1) They fixed it and sent it back in 1 day... unlikely too fast
2) They refused to fix it... Wouldn't they call me and offer me a price to repair it before sending it back?
3) They just swapped the broken one for another one (a refurb I would imagine)... seems most likely, but do they do this?
4) ?!?!?

I double checked the address, I did send it to the right place. I wasn't expecting them to honor the warranty, but I figured they would call with a repair price, and I would let them scrap it, I already replaced it.

(The sort of out of warranty explanation.... When I purchased the lens, more than a year ago, the warranty was only 1 year. Not long after I purchased it, Sigma changed to 3 year warranties. When I called, they said it wouldn't hurt to send it in, they might honor the new 3 years, even though I purchased it as 1 year)

Any ideas, or experiences....What do you expect I will find when I pick it up from UPS?

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

sponsored links
boufa
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 05, 2015 13:20 |  #2

It got delivered early... turns out, I get to answer my own question, for those who may someday be interested.

Drum roll please.......
#1!!! They received the lens Tuesday sometime, and by 4 pm that same day it was fixed and on its way back. They also honored the 3 year warranty, despite that it was only a 1 year warranty when I bought it. With shipping (I sent it ground they sent it back to me 3 day) I took exactly 1 week to send in and get fixed and come back.

Nice work Sigma... Very, very pleased.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM

P4ulG
528 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 05, 2015 15:19 |  #3

I had a similar experience over here. Had a back focusing 120mm-400mm. Even though I'd had the lens 1year 9 months they extended the warranty to 3 years and fixed it. I sent it on the Monday and I had it back Thursday morning. Fantastic service.

Canon 6D Canon 600D Canons 24-105mm L 85mm 1.4 IS L 70-300mm L. 100mm F2.8 macro L IS. 16-35mm L nifty fifty. 55-250mm IS. Speedlights Siggy DG530 super Canon EX430II Vivitar 3700

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,118 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by John from PA.

Sep 05, 2015 15:30 |  #4

If you think about repair services it is very easy for a provider to provide promp service and therefore reap the benefits. Simpy eliminate large backlogs and work to maintain mimimal backlog. If a tech gets sick, OK, backlog may grow, but others can pick up the slack for a day or two.

boufa
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 06, 2015 22:53 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #5

That has always amazed me, how companies get so far behind, and then don't even try to catch up. If I order an item, it should not take 4-6 weeks for processing, or 12+ weeks for a rebate, etc.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,119 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by ed rader.

Sep 07, 2015 13:38 |  #6

sigma has caused so much misery in the photographic world that it's good to see them toss the occasional bone :-D

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,750 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 07, 2015 13:58 |  #7

ed rader wrote in post #17698333 (external link)
sigma has caused so much misery in the photographic world that it's good to see them toss the occasional bone :-D

ed rader wrote in post #17698333 (external link)

you mean alot like you and your constant Canon nut swinging

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

sponsored links

1,521 views & 3 likes for this thread
Sigma Repair Amazingly Fast... maybe too fast?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.