Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Sep 2015 (Sunday) 09:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is wrong with my camera?

amandatarvin
55 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 06, 2015 09:01 |  #1

Hi all, had a disappointing experience at a wedding... I invited a new photography friend to come shoot it with me. I have a 5d mk II(it is probably 7 years old or so, I am the second owner). I have a 70-200 2.8 L II on it... Which I have been disappointed in, because it seems really soft unless shooting at 4.0 or up. And even then I feel like it's just hard to focus it(I use back button focus) and it's really hit or miss. Unless it's my camera... I feel like my camera is slowing down, it doesn't seem to have the same low light ability(at the reception)... We get to the reception and my 580 ex speed light(with new batteries) takes forever to recycle(it was so dark, I did have it on the highest power) I could only take a shot like every 30 seconds or longer. My friend that I invited whom was shooting with the 5d mk III with a 35mm prime lens, with the 480 ex light was getting these amazing clean sharp images of the reception(even with no flash!). Is it my equipment? Is it that her gear is just better? My images were looking muddy, merky and grainy... So frustrating!!!! I mean my images were so bad I don't even want to use them. I don't think I have a spare $2500 to spare right now... Who do I send my camera to to have refurbished? And how much does that cost? Also what the heck with my flash? It just sucks when you have like a $5000 camera set up and your images look like crap.

Canon 5d MKII, Tamron SP AF Di 28-75 mm F/2.8, canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 580ex flash

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,106 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 06, 2015 09:14 |  #2

You dont give us much to go on. You think your images were crap and his were good. But there are so many technique issues that could make the difference. Can you post some images that show the issues you have?

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 06, 2015 09:23 |  #3

Hi Amanda. It is impossible to say what the problem is without seeing some images (with exif intact) as it could be a camera problem or it could be your technique. I am not saying it is your fault, I have no idea of your level or abilities and have seen none of your work, but most often muddy, murky images are down to incorrect settings used by the photographer.

However, yes, the mkIII is a better camera. It has better low light capability and better focusing, both of which are areas you are having trouble with. Having said that, the mkII has been used (and is still used) by a lot of pro wedding photographers who managed to get excellent results with it., so you shouldn't be getting muddy, murky shots if you are setting it up correctly.

Are ALL shots you get out of this camera showing issues, or just some? If some are coming out fine then it is most likely a settings issue on the others. Have you tried swapping cameras with your friend for a test shoot and see if she can produce better images with yours and how yours look when you use hers? For an accurate test, don't let her set up the camera for you, choose your own settings.

If you post up some of your problem images we can try and help with what may be wrong, whether that is with the equipment or your technique.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,417 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt.

Sep 06, 2015 09:44 |  #4

580 Flash on AA batteries is supposed to take up to 5 sec. to recycle, and Canon says when it takes 30 sec. it is time to replace batteries.
You claim 'new batteries', but if you are shooting FULL POWER, you can deplete even a brand new set of AA alkaline batteries in only about 100 shots, again according to Canon.

Terminology: "Open UP, Stop DOWN"...so I presume when you allude to "because it seems really soft unless shooting at 4.0 or up" that you are really referring to using the smaller aperture (and 'stopping down') so that DOF gets you past focus error?!

What ISO did you have set on the camera? You state, "My friend that I invited whom was shooting with the 5d mk III with a 35mm prime lens, with the 480 ex light was getting these amazing clean sharp images of the reception(even with no flash!)." Your camera should have been able to take the same photos up to ISO 25600, but the 580EXIII goes 2EV faster to ISO 102800! And if their ISO setting was higher, the flash also does not have to work as hard, so that full power blasts are not necessary, making recycle times shorter as well.

I agree with sandpiper's reply.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PhotosGuy
75,776 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 06, 2015 10:16 |  #5

amandatarvin wrote in post #17696833 (external link)
I have a 70-200 2.8 L II on it... Which I have been disappointed in, because it seems really soft unless shooting at 4.0 or up.

Also, keep in mind that most lenses are sharpest about 2-3X (f-stops) stopped down from wide open.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,025 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 06, 2015 10:25 |  #6

Share your settings and post some images as we cannot form opinions based on your initial post. Your camera and lens should have been just fine, even in dark circumstances. Sounds like something else is wrong... technique or faulty equipment.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 07, 2015 05:11 |  #7

A few different images would really help!

Perhaps you can do some tests swapping lenses / camera with your friend? Perhaps that could give some clues.

Prpbably not the first thing to look at but microfocus adjustement may help

Check menu settings inc. microfocus - possibly you or the prevous owner have left some incorrect settings?

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

panicatnabisco
967 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 09, 2015 12:29 |  #8

Yo're stopped down with a slower lens on a body that doesn't have the same ISO and AF performance, that's the first problem. The second is going full power on your flash so unless the venue have a ceiling 3 stories high, that's overkill and will slow down recycling time.

You don't have the 70-200mkII on your gear list, so perhaps you are borrowing it? It might be a good idea to do some micro adjusting to see if what is regarded to be the sharpest 70-200 is actually at fault.

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 09, 2015 21:40 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Nah...this could be so many factors. And of course.....not sure why you would want to shoot a wedding when you aren't sure what is wrong with your gear. For one thing, if you were just running around and getting shots, you don't shoot in full power, ever. Do you know anything about fill light? Or bounce flash off the wall or ceiling? What is the shutter speed you were using? Was the IS active at all? Did you shoot with other wider lenses?

Here is my take...it looks like you are shooting in an environment in which you don't know how to expose the scene. That you were trying to expose the scene normally as if you were outdoor. Given with the limitation of the 5d mark II at ISO 3200 and beyond, you will get grainy shots with lots of image noise.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Roamingbull
628 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 09, 2015 22:57 |  #10

Really, it sounds like you had your settings off. Shooting with too low of an ISO in Low light, or something. Do you shoot in manual, AV, or Auto? If your shooting in Auto, the camera can get confused, and AV is Auto to an extent. Full manual can get you those crisp shots if you have the settings correct. The fact you were having issues with your flash may also be an indicator that this is the case. Anyway, not a slam just a thought based on what you said you had going on...

Also note, a prime (the 35mm) is a great lens for that type of setting. That may also add to the reason your friend got those shots.

I may be off, not enough info to comment, like everyone said... Post one you thought you did good, post one you thought was not so good, and post one that you thought was horrible, each with your exif data.

Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer....
My web site is Eternal Reflections (external link)
Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

palad1n
Goldmember
1,753 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 11, 2015 09:38 |  #11

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17696900 (external link)
amandatarvin wrote in post #17696833 (external link)
I have a 70-200 2.8 L II on it... Which I have been disappointed in, because it seems really soft unless shooting at 4.0 or up.

Also, keep in mind that most lenses are sharpest about 2-3X (f-stops) stopped down from wide open.

70-200 f/2.8 should be stack sharp wide open. stepping down make shots sharper, but improvement is negligible.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

Corey ­ Thompson
297 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Corey Thompson. (3 edits in all)

Sep 12, 2015 22:24 |  #12

The 35mm prime is a faster lens and will be better in low light due do it having a larger aperture. Prime lenses also typically shoot much sharper photos than zoom lenses, especially if he has the 35L. The 70-200 f2.8 is an amazing piece of glass, but zooms will always be a compromise compared to a good prime lens. With a zoom you sacrifice quality for convenience.

The 5dm2 has an older autofocus system that is much slower to focus in low light than the 5dm3. The 5dm3 has better low light and better high ISO performance. It's all around a much better camera. That's not to say though that the 5dm2 can't take awesome pictures. Can you imagine what type of equipment wedding photographers had available 15-20 years ago before digital took over?

Another thing to keep in mind is that a wide angle prime will always be easier to focus than a telephoto lens. With a telephoto, you need to be much further away from the subject. If you stand too close then your autofocus system will just hunt around and not know what to do because it can't focus that close. With wide angle primes, it's less important how far you are from the subject to be able to focus quickly and accurately.

In my limited experience shooting portraits, I've produced great results using my 50 and 85mm primes when the photos are more spur of the moment. When I have the ability to get people to pose and take my time with composition, my 70-200 is great. it's hard for me to run and gun with my 70-200. I'm speaking purely from my experience photographing children and families together in their natural element.

Corey
Visual Sensory Photography (external link)
Instagram (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link)
Gear

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 12, 2015 22:35 |  #13

Trolling?

Gear List / Photos (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 13, 2015 04:19 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

NBEast wrote in post #17705270 (external link)
Trolling?

Nah....probably a newbie blaming the gear....:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,053 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 13, 2015 10:05 |  #15

TooManyShots wrote in post #17705502 (external link)
Nah....probably a newbie blaming the gear....:)

Hmmmm. She joined POTN 4 years ago........not sure if that really qualifies her as a newbie.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

4,634 views & 2 likes for this thread
What is wrong with my camera?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.