Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 15 May 2015 (Friday) 21:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

In the market for a pro 50mm lens ... which one do you like and why

scottsoutter
202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by scottsoutter. (3 edits in all)

Jul 31, 2015 12:56 |  #16

I've cycled through five, and for reasons I don't fully understand I seem to have stabilized on the 50 1.4 ZE Zeiss Planar. I'm not sure any of them count as a pro lens, but hey... I'm an amateur so let's roll the tape:

Every single one has had more than one drawback, including my current one, and to be honest I have brought those foibles upon myself ;-)a

50 1.8 aka the nifty. Everyone should own this lens at some point in their life. Forced myself to use this for three months as my only lens as I tried to figure out how to use a dslr outside of the "green box" of auto. It sounded like someone shaking a box of gravel when I autofocused it. I like the fact that it's featherweight, but it felt pretty cheap... and I didn't like how short the throw was when I selectively focused manually. Gave it to a neighbor kid who was just starting out with a dslr so she could get a feel for a fast prime.

Pentax Super Takumar f/1.4. Loved this lens on my Rebel. Had a weird yellowish cast to it from an old radioactive element which warmed up my photos a touch. It focused like a dream and had a really lovely bokeh. Unfortunately, it hit the mirror on my 5d2 and I sold it essentially out of fear of a nasty repair bill.

Minolta MC Rokkor 50mm f/1.2 (sounds a bit like a rapper, actually). Loved loved loved this lens on my Rebel. It was a nightmare to get it in focus though with that tiny light-stealing viewfinder at 1.2, but when I did (often only though the use of liveview) it had a super dreamy character. Very forgiving for people (providing I was able to get their eyes in focus, never a guaranteed thing...). Like the Super Tak, it hit the mirror on my 5d2 and I needed the money to buy a couple of other vintage beauties: a c/y Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 and the...

Contax/Yachica Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar. To be fair, I didn't really give this one much of a chance. I spent most of the year I owned it with the c/y 35 glued to my camera. When I did pull it out I enjoyed using it. It was pretty beat up on the barrel but still had that Zeiss/Cosina microscope like feeling to it. My biggest beef with it ended up being that I kept missing exposure and missing shots with it having to set focus, then adjust aperture, then meter, then go back and open it up to focus again because I wanted a different composition, then forget to set the aperture and end up with something so damn white hot that it was virtually unrecognizable as a photograph of anything other than a ball of plasma. Sigh. Because of that, I ended up selling both my C/Y zeiss beauties to a videographer and a film enthusiast.

Which leaves me with the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ZE Planar. It's wonky, it has some focus shift issues, I have mediocre eyesight so I end up missing focus a bit, I still haven't got it fully dialed in for microfocus adjustment so I can't fully trust the confirmation lights... but it's light, it lets me be very precise when I take my time and set up a shot, and it renders colors beautifully letting me spend more time taking pictures and less time on lightroom.

I should probably come in to the modern age and get a good autofocus 50, but if I'm feeling lazy chances are I will continue to fall back on the walkaround zoom.

5d ii, 17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 35 f/2.0 ze distagon, 50 f/1.4 ze planar, 50 f/1.8, 70-200 f/4 is, 135 f/3.5 sonnar, 420ex, 430ex ii

sponsored links
frlaf108
31 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Sep 04, 2015 10:48 as a reply to  @ post 17559401 |  #17

I agree with some others regarding the Sigma Art 50 1.4. I have the 50 1.4 since I don't shoot professionnaly but hte sigma blows it out of the water

bkdc
888 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by bkdc.

Sep 07, 2015 19:34 |  #18

If you want the best optics with autofocus, it's the Sigma Art. If you want reliable and fastest autofocus in low light, it's the 50L. If you're a wedding photographer, the focus will be the most important. If you're not chasing people and moving things, then you might go for the Sigma.

I wish Canon would make an optically improved 50mm f1.4. The 50's are really old in the tooth. There's really nothing that f1.2 gives me except a tiny extra light (which probably helps with focusing).

RF 24-70 f/4L IS | RF 50L | EF 35L II | EF 40 f/2.8 pancake | EF 85 f/1.4L IS | EF 100L IS Macro | 600EX-RT x 3

Pencilnink
56 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 08, 2015 04:18 |  #19

Sigma 50 for me as well for many of the same
sentiments as others have mentioned. Sharpness and value vs the 1.2. Plus I was able to get it brand new for $685 ߘ

Henry ­ Lydecker
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Sep 12, 2015 05:46 |  #20

For a long time I had an excellent Canon 50 f/1.4, with great image quality and focus, but one day it got knocked onto the ground by someone, and while Canon fixed it, its focus motor kept breaking after a few months. I then decided "what the heck, let's try Sigma". I then got the original Sigma 50 f/1.4, but despite seeming great, it would always end up focusing inaccurately on jobs, leading me to only use it for portraits using live view focusing. I'm back to a new Canon 50 f/1.4, I tried a few Sigma art 50, but they were all inconsistent. I don't know if I can ever trust Sigma again, maybe if I try one out for an hour with zero focus issues I can be convinced.

I really want a new Canon 50 f/1.4 (IS please!) like Canon's newer lenses.

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,530 posts
Gallery: 395 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 21, 2015 12:10 |  #21

LovingMemoriesPhotos wrote in post #17648107 (external link)
they introduced the 50A last fall and i couldn't resist. Pairing with the 135L, it's the secret that only the owners know :D

I once told someone on this forum that, for me, the S50A/135L combo was like a "cheat code" for Canon shooters. Sharpness and contrast of this lens produce B&W results that still floor me after 10 months of use.

The S50A is fast focusing enough that I never wish it focused as fast (or accurately) as my 135L. I did an initial MFA of +13 on my 6D and It has been good ever since.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

jbalazek
30 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Dec 05, 2015 11:52 |  #22

Another Sigma 50Art lover here.

---------------
Joe
Novice married to more of an expert
Canon 6d, Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC, Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 35 f/2, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50 ART

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,574 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 06, 2015 19:35 |  #23

I have the 50L and LOVE it. Awesome lens

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by InfiniteDivide. (3 edits in all)

Dec 15, 2015 22:33 |  #24

I also enjoy using my 50L, especially as a walk-around lens.

I have seen the new 50mm stm in the store too, it's almost as small as the 40mm pancake in size.

I have heard great things about the Pentax Super Takumar f/1.4 converted to EF
as well as the 50mm f1.2 AIS Nikon lens on EF

I chose the 50L because it is one of the fastest Full Frame lenses with AF
I can lock AF wide open, and then it will stop down to increase to my desired dof.
When I bought mine the Sigma 50mm Art was still a rumor.
And after the Art lens came out, I didn't find my 50L photos to look any worse. :)

Here is a shot with my 50L wide open.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

Owl_79
786 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 17, 2015 15:29 |  #25

I hope there will be soon EF 50mm 1.4 USM II. It would be great upgrade!

wishlist:
-Ring type usm
-better optics (iq at wide open)

That's pretty much it.. :)

Canon
http://tonskulus.kuvat​.fi/kuvat/ (external link)

Silver-Halide
809 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 17, 2015 15:57 |  #26

Doesn't the 1.4 have some durability/longevity issues? I used one copy that was nice but wound up paying $900 for an 1.2L instead of $300 for a 1.4. I like the 1.2 but if a 1.4 for $300 were a little more durable it would be hard to go for even the compratively better optics of the 1.2

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,680 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 18, 2015 14:50 |  #27

The durability issues I've heard were around the AF motor. Changing to a true ring USM would potentially fix that completely and we'd only have to argue about its sharpness and out of focus blur in comparison to the 50L

Gear List

sponsored links

8,186 views & 4 likes for this thread
In the market for a pro 50mm lens ... which one do you like and why
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.