Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Sep 2015 (Tuesday) 04:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

30 or 35mm prime for street photography, Canon 6D

Pencilnink
56 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 08, 2015 15:01 |  #16

MBB89 wrote in post #17699684 (external link)
I own both the Sigma 35A and Voigtlander 40mm Ultron pancake.

For "street" photography I find the Voigtlander to be far and away better as it is way more discrete and a joy to MF. For most other things the Art is a slightly better lenses (truly, the Voigtlander is stellar as well) with the largest difference being their size.

I picked up the Voigtlander on Ebay for $200, they can be found quite cheap a lot.

Did you buy the Voigtlander in EF mount or M42? I always thought about trying out that lens for the same reason as it's smaller than the Sigma 35A and $200 seems cheaper than what I remember of what that lens went for.

sponsored links
pawelx
THREAD ­ STARTER
389 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by pawelx.

Sep 09, 2015 03:09 |  #17

vertigo235 wrote in post #17699412 (external link)
Only caveat is that you need to go ahead and by the Sigma Dock with it, then calibrate it with your body once you get it. It can take a bit to get all the settings right but once you do it should focus perfectly with your body.

oh:( first time I've heard about needing to purchase the additional Dock, and having to calibrate with it.. None of the reviews that I read online mentioned the Dock. DPReview (http://www.dpreview.co​m …/sigma-35mm-f1-4-dg-hsm/5 (external link)) listed "Fast, silent, and accurate autofocus" as one of the lens's pros. Another review https://photographylif​e.com/reviews/sigma-35mm-f1-4/2 (external link) "Autofocus accuracy is also excellent... I ran a number of different AF accuracy tests with the LensAlign lens calibration tool and the lens was spot on at all times. I have also been receiving reports from our team members and readers that highly regard the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 for its AF accuracy"

Canon 6D, 24-105 f/4 , 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500
Lenses previously owned: 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Tamron 18-270...

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 09, 2015 06:25 |  #18

I don't have the dock, my 35 A didn't need any adjustment. Though the dock is cheap enough and helps future proof incompatibilities if canon or Nikon change there AF protocol's.

For the price of one 50 1.2 L you can get the 35 and 50 art plus the dock, both lenses are sharper than the L equivalents.

artyH
Goldmember
2,097 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 09, 2015 09:33 |  #19

I like the Canon 35F2IS, but the Sigma is reportedly sharp. If you go for it, buy from a dealer with a good return policy.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …X-DG-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)
Some people have reported AF difficulties with the lens in low, artificial lighting. I have run across lenses on the past, from Sigma and Canon (85f1.8) that had problems, and a warranty or good return policy was essential.

pawelx
THREAD ­ STARTER
389 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 09, 2015 09:43 |  #20

artyH wrote in post #17700758 (external link)
I like the Canon 35F2IS, but the Sigma is reportedly sharp. If you go for it, buy from a dealer with a good return policy.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …X-DG-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)
Some people have reported AF difficulties with the lens in low, artificial lighting. I have run across lenses on the past, from Sigma and Canon (85f1.8) that had problems, and a warranty or good return policy was essential.

thanks. I placed my order with amazon, their return policy I think is quite OK.

Canon 6D, 24-105 f/4 , 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500
Lenses previously owned: 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Tamron 18-270...

artsf
373 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2015

Sep 11, 2015 23:29 |  #21

I like my 35mm f/2 IS as low light and walkaround light setup. However, for creativity, f1.4 is essential at this focal length and Sigma 35 doubles DoF control over 35 f/2. For low light, f/2 is just fine as f1.4 would render DoF too small for many typical low light scenarios. The size of Sigma 35 is offputting to me for a walkaround prime and a possibility of needing a "calibration dock" is not attractive at all. Unfortunatey, there are not a lot of choices around this, perharps, most versatile focal length. I plan to rent Sigma 35 in the near future for side by side comparison.

artyH
Goldmember
2,097 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 12, 2015 09:53 as a reply to  @ pawelx's post |  #22

I got the bad 85 from Amazon, and they swapped it out for a new one. The exchanged lens has been great. I did have to justify my problem with the lens, but they did honor their return policy. I hope that you ordered from Amazon and not an affiliate. If the sale is fulfilled by Amazon, the other company will warranty the product, but I don't know if this is the case for all of the non-Amazon companies that sell through their site.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,025 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 12, 2015 17:02 |  #23

35 f2 IS

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5659/21176546498_890d551d8a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ygik​uE  (external link) Relax (external link) by Scott Tice (external link), on Flickr

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,104 posts
Gallery: 1552 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 12, 2015 17:12 |  #24

pawelx wrote in post #17700780 (external link)
thanks. I placed my order with amazon, their return policy I think is quite OK.

Heya,

Just make sure it's with Amazon and not a third party that has their own return policy. That's the only thing to watch for.

I got my 30 ART from Amazon. With a the USB dock too. Played with it for a few weeks, trying to calibrate it. I'd get some of it calibrated, but then another range would be out. I got tired of it and sent it back to Amazon for a refund (didn't feel like replacing it until I got a copy that was calibrated close enough to my bodies, totally by chance and people go through several copies doing that, not worth it to me). I picked up the 35 F2 IS instead, and haven't looked back.

Anyhow, Amazon should do you right.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Arutemu
Goldmember
2,817 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 12, 2015 20:42 |  #25

Yongnuo 35 f/2.0 is supposed to be a Canon 35 f/2 clone and only goes for around $100. Has AF too.

住めば/external linkFlickrexternal link
GEAR / FEEDBACK

sponsored links

3,445 views & 1 like for this thread
30 or 35mm prime for street photography, Canon 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.