Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Sep 2015 (Tuesday) 19:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Challenge #550: "The End of the __________"

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,255 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Maureen Souza. (2 edits in all)

Sep 01, 2015 19:39 |  #1

Okay. I have been pouring over these off & on all day & still cannot decided whose pictures I like best so I guess that is a good thing. :-D But winners need to be chosen so here it goes and please know it was a tight contest.
First Place goes to Trumper. I spent thousands of hours listening & loving my LP's from age 8 & onward. I still have most all my albums and I still have a turntable to this day so this picture really tugged at my heart.

Second Place goes to Raven. I was hoping for someone at the end of their rope & you captured it flawlessly. I would hang that on my wall.

Third Place goes to Rafael Stunning shot of the volcano & town at it's mercy below. I love everything about this because it holds so many stories inside all those buildings while telling a bigger story in the mountain.

Thanks to all who entered; I have to say that I always hope for more entries but everyone who did participate this week did a wonderful job. I will post my "End of the Day" photo I took off the balcony of my hotel room while in Morro Bay over the weekend just for fun.

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #550 - "The End of the _______"

There are ends of many things so I would love to see your take on your end ;-)a I am hoping to see diversity & creativity here so dazzle me.

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo.
Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, [COLOR=Blue]Sept. 7, 2015.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G7 X and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the first line of the post.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -
Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click [COLOR=#003366]FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page.
Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon.
Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos.
Thank you.

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

sponsored links
Trumper
962 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 02, 2015 05:20 |  #2

G1X MK11 End of the track

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 02, 2015 18:09 |  #3

the end a a long slumber.

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/550_endofslumber_CRW_0199_960px.jpg
poxershot Pro1

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 03, 2015 10:21 |  #4

The End Of The Road

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/EndOfTheRoad.jpg

G3

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Raven.

Sep 07, 2015 03:45 |  #5

The End of the/my Rope

G16

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v8/p1452529970-5.jpg

~ Jim

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 07, 2015 12:30 |  #6

End of Summer in WNY: Asters and Goldenrod
G1X

HOSTED PHOTO

Maureen ­ Souza
THREAD ­ STARTER
33,255 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 07, 2015 13:56 |  #7

Closed. I will have results up this evening.

5DMK4
7DMK2

Maureen ­ Souza
THREAD ­ STARTER
33,255 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 07, 2015 23:36 |  #8

The End of the Day

HOSTED PHOTO

5DMK4
7DMK2

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 08, 2015 02:50 |  #9

Congrats Trumper and Rafael. And thank you, Maureen, for the second spot and for hosting this week.
End of my rope, indeed, the day I was shooting that. :-)
Was trying to keep the camera out of the rain and the dog from running around in the background.

Agreed that the photos this week were very good.
And I especially like your shot of Morrow Bay. Beautiful!

~ Jim

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 08, 2015 07:18 |  #10

Congratulations to Trumper, Raven and Rafael. Excellent shots!

I was totally taken with Rafael's photo. It's a rare cityscape that has an active volcano in the background. Very impressive! It'd be interesting to get the full story on that one.

The end of 'my' rope? Very clever. And the end of the track is such a throwback to my youth. I wore out my Zeppelin and Yes vinyl, as well as Sgt. Pepper. Nice!

Thanks Maureen, for hosting and picking!

Steve

Trumper
962 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by Trumper. (2 edits in all)

Sep 08, 2015 08:19 |  #11

:eek: Blimey,having seen all these other photos i am gobsmacked.My old record player sat in the loft for many years with boxes of LPs gathering dust and cobwebs.
I decided a couple of years ago to bring them back and get a new cartridge on the deck.My teenagers have been bought up with cd's and mp3's and now they have heard how music can sound,more soulful a less clinical sound.
All the other photos were brilliant although i am glad i don't see Rafaels volcano that close :).
Right i will now try and think of a subject EEEK.:-)

This weeks challenge now posted

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1439856 new challenge have fun.:-)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 08, 2015 10:21 |  #12

Congratulations Trumper, Raven and Rafael - all worthy winning shots!

Trumper, I have been surprised lately to see new record players sold in some stores like The Source - I thought they'd gone for good.

Rafael, what's the history of eruptions from your volcano? Has it ever covered the Quito area itself with ash or lava in prehistoric times, or do you feel totally safe? Here on the west coast we've had the Mt. St.Helen eruption and know there's huge earthquake and tsunami bound to happen again as it has done many times before, so we're always aware but never prepared.

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 09, 2015 01:04 |  #13

Congratulations Trumper and Raven.
I have LPs too, and a very good turntable with a small electronic problem that I can solve, so it will be in the workbench soon thanks to the winning photo :)

I needed a dictionary to follow Raven with the idiom in the photo's title. Very clever, and nice picture too.

"Stunning shot of the volcano & town at it's mercy below."

Thanks, Maureen for the comment, the place, the challenge. The town is my city, Quito, and the picture was taken from a window of my own home on 02 Set. at 4:24:02 PM, 200mm equivalent and cropped from 3264 to 2059 pixels before re-sizing.

The full story? Well, the eruption began in August 13, 138 years after the last large eruption so we are learning how the volcano awakes.

The experts count '86 known eruptions'. The original dwellers of these lands had no written registers and the first recorded eruption in historic times was in 1534, the same year the Spaniard 'conquistadores' arrived and 'founded' their city in the same place of the ancient Quito.

Large eruptions in 1744, 1768 and 1877 literally flattened the colonial city of Latacunga 20 miles South of the volcano.
Quito is 34 Miles North of the Cotopaxi and somewhat protected by valleys in the South and East of the city, but those valleys are now part of the residential areas and have more that 300.000 inhabitants. We can not be totally safe with a huge volcano close to the city, but we have had earthquakes and ash from other volcanoes as the Pichincha at just 8 miles West of my home or the very active Reventador 50 Miles to the East.

The Cotopaxi is large enough to destroy its surroundings on a large event.
The Christian Catholic people of Quito have a prophecy of the local Saint Mariana de Jesús:

"Quito will not be destroyed by earthquakes or volcanoes. Quito will be destroyed by bad governments".

So, it seems the end of our rope will eventually arrive, one way or the other ... :(

teekay I love your picture. Infrared? I hope some day try the IR thing.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 10, 2015 11:02 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #14

Thanks for the info- you obviously live in a beautiful but dangerous sounding city, Rafael - hope you stay safe.

Yes, my entry was an old IR shot from my converted G3. I played round with processing it using my recently bought Adobe Lightroom, which I'm finding is a powerful tool but not exactly user friendly.:rolleyes:

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by rpolitsr.

Sep 11, 2015 03:52 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #15

I use Lightroom and Photoshop most of the time. I love how some tools in LR mimic the old darkroom and enlarger work.

This week the Cotopaxi shows less external activity, but it does not mean the end of the cycle.
Experts from the USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) are intereted in this volcanic event and visited the volcano with the local experts of the IGEPN, the Geophysical Institute of the Escuela Politecnica University where I studied.

From pictures of August 21, I assembled an animated gif. Not the best, but I think it shows how we see the mountain at sunset.

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/550_chat_cotopaxi_anim_640_5_b.gif

rafael

sponsored links

3,800 views & 4 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Challenge #550: "The End of the __________"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.