Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Sep 2015 (Monday) 12:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How would you spend $1000 to get your photography business up and running?

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 08, 2015 16:19 as a reply to  @ post 17699857 |  #16

Yes, i understand the reach and that it is saying Facebook will have the ad up in that many peoples feeds, it in no way relates to clicks to your Facebook page or website. Instead of spending $1,000 on Facebook advertising, and getting only a few clicks to the Facebook page, I wanted to see what it did with $10.

I quickly found that WOM and others sharing our page garnered MUCH more attention than paid ads. So instead of spending $100 on ads, that money being spent on gas and travel to cover more events, and then having people share the link to the story (which is what everyone in the automotive world does on facebook), was the way to go.

Andrew | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 08, 2015 20:17 |  #17

FWIW I've been using paid advertising on FB for years now. My long term average (3-4 years) sits at around... for every $1,000 spent it leads to about $20,000 in sales (at least). 90% of all my paid advertising is on Facebook. I've run predominantly the same ad/post for well over a year now. Once you find the right effective content you don't need to change it because the audience continually changes (engaged women change status when they get married). For info my weekly FB ad spend is $49 per week ($7 per day). Every now and then when I'm pushing that I'm at an expo or more often than not that I WON'T be at an expo (yes you read that right) I'll increase my spend for a period.

Things to bear in mind. Likes are not the end goal. Getting people to your sales funnel is the end goal (if you don't know what that is read up). My focus is always on getting people to the website and into the funnel. If I lose them in the pre-qualification stages of the site I'm not fussed. I'll either lose people on 1) Not liking my work or 2) Not being in their price bracket or 3) Not being available on their date. In all three cases I'd have lost them anyway. They are not my target market. The ones who make it through pre-qualification are the target market.

By an large most articles you read online which bang on about FB being useless etc are because they have crud ad content and are trying to get likes not sales. Most also target the wrong demographics and have terrible sales funnels (or rather usually non at all). Get the punters you your conversion point and convert. Ignore any mainstream online photography mag or moaning photography blog that says FB is dead, it isn't, far from it. They are just clueless when it comes as to how to use it effectively.

Peter

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 09, 2015 14:56 |  #18

Myboostedgst wrote in post #17699872 (external link)
Yes, i understand the reach and that it is saying Facebook will have the ad up in that many peoples feeds, it in no way relates to clicks to your Facebook page or website. Instead of spending $1,000 on Facebook advertising, and getting only a few clicks to the Facebook page, I wanted to see what it did with $10.

I quickly found that WOM and others sharing our page garnered MUCH more attention than paid ads. So instead of spending $100 on ads, that money being spent on gas and travel to cover more events, and then having people share the link to the story (which is what everyone in the automotive world does on facebook), was the way to go.

Sounds like you're looking for both content and traffic to monetize, not actual qualified leads towards someone purchasing your photography service. Very different approach all together (coming from someone who's shot editorial content for 15+ years for automotive publications).

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17700114 (external link)
FWIW I've been using paid advertising on FB for years now. My long term average (3-4 years) sits at around... for every $1,000 spent it leads to about $20,000 in sales (at least). 90% of all my paid advertising is on Facebook. I've run predominantly the same ad/post for well over a year now. Once you find the right effective content you don't need to change it because the audience continually changes (engaged women change status when they get married). For info my weekly FB ad spend is $49 per week ($7 per day). Every now and then when I'm pushing that I'm at an expo or more often than not that I WON'T be at an expo (yes you read that right) I'll increase my spend for a period.

Things to bear in mind. Likes are not the end goal. Getting people to your sales funnel is the end goal (if you don't know what that is read up). My focus is always on getting people to the website and into the funnel. If I lose them in the pre-qualification stages of the site I'm not fussed. I'll either lose people on 1) Not liking my work or 2) Not being in their price bracket or 3) Not being available on their date. In all three cases I'd have lost them anyway. They are not my target market. The ones who make it through pre-qualification are the target market.

By an large most articles you read online which bang on about FB being useless etc are because they have crud ad content and are trying to get likes not sales. Most also target the wrong demographics and have terrible sales funnels (or rather usually non at all). Get the punters you your conversion point and convert. Ignore any mainstream online photography mag or moaning photography blog that says FB is dead, it isn't, far from it. They are just clueless when it comes as to how to use it effectively.

Bingo. I assume that some of the ad content / images were A/B tested, and that landing pages were A/B tested for effectiveness. But once you find a formula that works, you can run it almost endlessly at a limited budget to generate some fairly high returns. This is EXACTLY why I think that using the $1,000 to run some test ads and figure out what images / ad copy / landing pages to find the demographic that works is quite possibly the best way to spend that money in marketing.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 09, 2015 15:06 |  #19

JacobPhoto wrote in post #17701139 (external link)
Sounds like you're looking for both content and traffic to monetize, not actual qualified leads towards someone purchasing your photography service. Very different approach all together (coming from someone who's shot editorial content for 15+ years for automotive publications).
i

I am not looking to monetize at all, hence the reason I said that it is not a business. I even specifically said that my business is very different than his. I was simply letting him know what did and did not work for me, and allowing him to use his own discretion on how much it pertained to him.

But I don't have a whole lot more to offer regarding my own "business" experience. I can however, advise based on the fact that I just booked a wedding photographer for my own wedding next year. I never even searched Google, or went to a trade show/event. I simply asked for referrals on Facebook and remembered who recently got married and looked their photos posted to Facebook. A few photographers who I saw one or two images posted online, but did not have access to look at the rest of the images, I simply passed over. My guess is those photogroahers want to make print sales, hence the reason not putting them online. Coming from a young person, I am not going to buy prints, period. So because I couldn't see their work from that wedding, they weren't even considered.

That is getting into more of your business philosophy, but figured it was worth mentioning. I did my searching 100% on Facebook (tough I did post here in the classifieds section just in case). I also know that many people who I have spoken with from my graduating class also only used Facebook/Pinterest. For us young people, Social Media is everything.

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 09, 2015 15:51 |  #20

VERY FASTLY ....

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 09, 2015 16:52 |  #21

I think in the Wedding FAQ (or maybe another thread) I worked out that it would cost around $10K to equip yourself from nothing to enough gear to photograph a wedding. Minimum two cameras, minimum three lenses (you need spares in case things fail), two flashes, and ideally big studio flashes with a battery pack. Then there's the little things, memory cards, batteries, etc.

Assuming you had all that a website is essential, and a portfolio is essential. You'll probably be working for free to start with, to get the experience and portfolio.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 09, 2015 18:47 as a reply to  @ JacobPhoto's post |  #22

I use several different calls to action in content each of which is specifically geared to the different buyer personas. The landing pages as such are regular pages on the website however my sales funnel has many ways through it based on how people enter it.

Peter

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 09, 2015 18:53 as a reply to  @ Myboostedgst's post |  #23

Your personal experience on how you booked your wedding tog is quite irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Looking elsewhere on the forum I gather you're a guy. That facts coupled with the fact you are a photographer place you into a very small category when it comes to looking at the main buyers of wedding photography as a whole. How you chose your photographer is not that common.

Peter

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 09, 2015 19:00 |  #24

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17701425 (external link)
Your personal experience on how you booked your wedding tog is quite irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Looking elsewhere on the forum I gather you're a guy. That facts coupled with the fact you are a photographer place you into a very small category when it comes to looking at the main buyers of wedding photography as a whole. How you chose your photographer is not that common.

You are completely right. A young guy who is getting married is clearly not his target market. And the fact that I have 4 other sets of friends who are getting married in a two year span and did it the same way as me is also clearly not his target market.

Hopefully the OP understands this and completely disregards my entire post, as he wouldn't even want me as his client.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

Sep 09, 2015 19:16 as a reply to  @ Myboostedgst's post |  #25

What I'm saying is your world view / experience compared to how the general market works are quite different. Whether you like it or not you fall into the more minority category (statistically speaking being pretty much insignificant).

Advertising is a numbers game. In order to garnish the best ROI you target those who are 1) The main decision makers and 2) In places where they make those decisions.

The fact that your previous post about spending just $10 to make a decision on something shows a tendency of making decisions marketing based on what is very limited data. You can't make an informed decision based on such a limited spend. Likewise you can't judge how the ENTIRE wedding market buys based on your limited experience and circle of friends.

Peter

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 09, 2015 19:22 as a reply to  @ JacobPhoto's post |  #26

Once homed it is also the least effort too. Set and forget.

Peter

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Myboostedgst.

Sep 09, 2015 19:37 |  #27

I had a rather long reply typed up, but I'll just leave it at this.

I am the OP's target market. I told the OP how I decided on my wedding photog. I also added that the people that I know all did the exact same thing. It is his decision if he wants to take that into his decision making process or not.

I said my facebook ads did not do much. That is fact. I also said that I am sure it wasn't the best directed. I said that my time was better spent on trying to get more WOM instead. So how that translates to "dont do facebook ads" or "it does not work" (or whatever you are trying to imply) is beyond me.

Good luck on your business OP, and hope that you get the information that you need. There is nothing more that I can ad to help you out, so I am going to move on.

bakerbranded
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,685 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 10, 2015 11:17 |  #28

Hey guys, I appreciate everyone's responses so far!

SCOTTY BWEDDING & LIFESTYLE PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)
7D/40D/20D: Σ 30 f1.4 & Σ 17-50 f2.8 OS

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Sep 10, 2015 11:56 |  #29

Out of 8 weddings last year, 23 weddings this year, and 16 weddings next year, I've had TWO grooms contact me as opposed to the bride. In one case, the bride was living outside of the country, and in the other, it was a photographer from this site (who was basically just looking for a huge discount since his wife was "in the wedding industry". Market to the women unless you've got unlimited funds for advertising.

I really wouldn't spend anything on advertising until you've really got the ball rolling. Spend it on necessary gear, and let your work and relationships get you the leads. If it ever becomes a full-time venture, you'll be glad you've got the $1000 in the bank. There'll come a point when you'll need/want to put cash into advertising. You'll spend at least $1000 just to figure out what works.

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

Sep 10, 2015 17:30 |  #30

FWIW $1000 is around 30% of my total annual marketing spend. It goes a long way of you spend it in the right places.

Oh... and don't bother with print advertising or online directories. Complete waste of money.

Peter

sponsored links

8,971 views & 17 likes for this thread
How would you spend $1000 to get your photography business up and running?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.