Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Sep 2015 (Sunday) 12:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So many Eos 7D mk 1 for sale.

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 12, 2015 13:05 |  #46

artyH wrote in post #17702185 (external link)
I don't think you will any advantages, uness you shoot sports or birds, etc. It is a fast action camera. A few years ago, I was thinking of getting one. I went to a local store, checked out the 60D and 7D and walked out with the 60D. You need to try one in a store, if possible, and see if you like the complexity, size and weight of the 7D.
It is a very sophisticated camera, but I doubt if there is going to be much in the way of a difference in the images, if you are shooting portraits or architecture.
You might find that you prefer your T3i. It has the articulating screen, and is light and compact.

The 7D does bring at least one major advantage to the table as regards general photography that the T3i doesn't have: spot focusing. I've found that to be invaluable for focusing on exactly what I want.

It helps, too, that it has a gloriously bright and big 100% coverage viewfinder.

The 7D is simply a more capable camera than the T3i. But the T3i certainly has the size and weight advantage. While the 7D's capabilities may be most useful for fast moving objects, don't make the mistake of presuming that those capabilities are useful only for that.

I find that the more capable the camera, the better off you're going to be. You might not use all of the camera's capabilities, but it's almost certain that you'll find some capabilities of the camera, which are not shared by the "less capable" model, to be useful.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

sponsored links
pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 12, 2015 15:17 |  #47

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17704283 (external link)
I respectably disagree; I do not think that this idea seems to be shared by many others here on POTN.

I do think that knowledge and skill typically make us better photographers, but I do not think that there is anything mystical about this knowledge or the skill.

I don't think that others here on POTN think that knowledge and skill are mystical.
Why do you think that others here think that the necessary skill and knowledge are mystical and unattainable?

The knowledge and skill required to become a better photographer is there for anyone to learn and to develop. So much of that knowledge is shared openly right here on this forum - considering that, how can you say that it seems to be mystical or unattainable?

Ah, the Internet!

I have to admit, "mystical" was a poor choice of words. However, I never said that skill and knowledge were unattainable (although I did use that word "mystical," so I understand). The issue being discussed was whether better gear can make one a better photographer. There certainly are many here who have implied, or stated outright, that such a notion is wrong. I was simply arguing that better technology increases one's ability to capture the images they are after, and that if you judge a photographer by what they produce, then the gear can make them "better." Not "will" make them better, but "can."

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,886 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring
Post edited over 5 years ago by Tom Reichner. (4 edits in all)

Sep 12, 2015 15:30 |  #48

pknight wrote in post #17704850 (external link)
Ah, the Internet!

I have to admit, "mystical" was a poor choice of words. However, I never said that skill and knowledge were unattainable (although I did use that word "mystical," so I understand).

Ok, but when you said that there was an idea around here that "if you don't have it, nothing can save you", I thought you meant that the idea was that if you don't have the knowledge and skill, then you won't be able to get it. Because, otherwise, if you were able to acquire the knowledge and skill, then in fact you could be "saved" by simply acquiring it.

pknight wrote in post #17703960 (external link)
There seems to be the idea floating around here that there is some mystical collection of knowledge and skill that makes one a "good" photographer, and that if you don't have it, nothing can save you.

Better gear can certainly allow one to produce better images, but it cannot make one a better photographer. Why? Because how good a photographer is is most accurately determined by evaluating that photographer's creative vision and skill, not by the images that he/she produces.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,388 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 12, 2015 15:51 |  #49

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17703083 (external link)
I don't think he was being sarcastic. I think that he really believes that some people think that getting a better camera will make them a better photographer.

It does seem that the phrase "just like owning a better computer will make you a better writer" can't be anything but sarcastic. Even though we're now at an age that "old school" writers aren't going to be hand writing or only writing on a type writer, the heart of the matter is your own skill set. For running MS word, the most basic computer works just as well as the best high end workstation. There can be a different skill set with each of us, but we've all found the skills that do work in producing good photos. For the rest of the thread, you've basically reinforced this idea, so I think you're agreeing instead of disagreeing. My only other post in this thread was asking in what way a T3i is limiting? If the OP isn't finding anything limiting...they are wondering if they should spend some money on a *slight* upgrade. The body has more features and it could be a good intro to more professional features....but it doesn't inherently give you better IQ.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 12, 2015 23:26 |  #50

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17704865 (external link)
Better gear can certainly allow one to produce better images, but it cannot make one a better photographer. Why? Because how good a photographer is is most accurately determined by evaluating that photographer's creative vision and skill, not by the images that he/she produces.

Accurately evaluating creative vision and skill? While not considering the images that are produced? First off, I have no confidence that accurate evaluations of photographers' creative vision and skill is possible. Determining accuracy requires a comparative standard, and I am unaware of standards for creative vision and skill as a photographer. These are subjective opinions at best. Second, if there were accepted, objective standards for creative vision and skill, how could we tell how a photographer compared to those standards without considering their photographs?

Perhaps it was this creative vision and skill that cannot be assessed by looking at the photos that subconsciously drew me to the term "mystical."

It seems that we are destined to disagree on this. I'm sure we can both live with that! :-)

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 14, 2015 20:47 |  #51

BlakeC wrote in post #17699261 (external link)
If I didn't already have a 70D, I'd grab one!

I have the 70D & SL1 and still couldn't resist one of those great deals on a low mileage 7D. It is now my action/sports body and I love it! :lol:

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

Lumens
459 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 15, 2015 08:02 |  #52

blue9 wrote in post #17697652 (external link)
If dual processor gives better iq on the files, will this make a difference in Raw also ?

I moved from a T2i to the 7D and found no difference in the image quality of my RAW files.

However with that said there is a HUGE difference in the two cameras. First for me was the buffering, the T2i would say "BUSY" after three continuous shots - useless for action and continuous shooting - forget Birds in Flight. The 7D just has so much better features and build quality at today's price it is a steal. It is possibly the best value for the money at this time.

Is choosing a 7D over spending more on a newer camera like the 70D or 7DII - maybe perhaps moving to full frame, well that choice is up to you to decide what will work best for you. The 6D is also a great choice at a reasonable cost unless you already have a fortune invested in EF-S lenses. This would definitely improve image quality if that is what you are after.

The truth is education and practice is the best way to improve image quality. I finally got past my G.A.S. (to a point) and now spend way too much on books and workshops. This has improved my photography much more than new equipment.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 15, 2015 08:16 |  #53

Just wanted to say something. This is generally speaking and can be applied to many different cameras...
Be careful when comparing IQ. 2 cameras could have the same sensor and/or the same processor and have different IQ. The IQ may be the same, but that is under the SAME conditions with the SAME settings. What you are paying for when you upgrade to a camera with the same sensor is not "better IQ" but the ability to achieve that same IQ in certain situations. Your IQ will be better because your previous camera could not achieve that shot in those conditions. You are paying for more/better customization in your settings and menu. Better control overall. All of these extras also add up to help you get that shot.

It's like putting the same engine in 2 different vehicles with different transmissions, different tuning, and different mods.

Just look at your photos and your camera and ask yourself "What am I missing? What do I need to help me get better? Is my camera missing something? Am I missing something?"

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,847 posts
Gallery: 2391 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 15, 2015 20:25 |  #54

I moved from a Nikon D7100(Arguably Nikons best pre 7200 crop frame camera Ever) to a 7d mk1 and when used with my 55-250 STM lens the keeper rate comparison goes like this -

D7100 - 300 out of 1000
7d - 990 out of 1000

The above is for the same subjects/conditions etc.

P.

Finally got it right I think - Nikon D7500, Nikon 300 F4 PF, Nikon 1.4 X mk3 TC

RodS57
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 16, 2015 10:36 |  #55

Pagman wrote in post #17709203 (external link)
I moved from a Nikon D7100(Arguably Nikons best pre 7200 crop frame camera Ever) to a 7d mk1 and when used with my 55-250 STM lens the keeper rate comparison goes like this -

D7100 - 300 out of 1000
7d - 990 out of 1000

The above is for the same subjects/conditions etc.

P.

I've been looking at the D7100 / D7200. Can you provide a bit more detail. AF issues ?? Image quality??

I guess it is safe to ask why a Nikon failed on a canon forum :-)

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,955 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Sep 16, 2015 10:51 |  #56

It is all documented under his plane threads, if you click the More Info/Report link, you can quickly search and see his previous posts about shooting aircraft far off, and the various challenges he faced.

Here is one example: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1433455

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Pagman
9,847 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 16, 2015 11:18 |  #57

In comparison between my D7100 used with a70-300VR lens, and my 7d used with a 55-250 STM lens, if I had both these set ups and used them side by side on the exact same subjects - the d7100 was only producing 4 out of every 10 pictures in focus, sometimes the focus was way off even with large close subjects, when using the 7d set up the results with the exact same subjects have given me nearly ten out of ten shots in spot on sharp focus.
I have shot over 1000 aircraft pictures with my 7d since owning it with my 250 STM lens, and out of 1000 I have only had to bin 5 shots, that is a Massive improvement:-D:-D:-D whether it is just a combination of getting stellar equipment with two spot on perfect examples I don't know, and whether I would get the same focus accuracy if I used a mk1 100-400 zoom on it - I don't know?

But I just know that what I have now is focusing better than anything I have seen or owned:-D:-D:-D

P.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 16, 2015 11:25 |  #58

Pagman wrote in post #17709877 (external link)
In comparison between my D7100 used with a70-300VR lens, and my 7d used with a 55-250 STM lens, if I had both these set ups and used them side by side on the exact same subjects - the d7100 was only producing 4 out of every 10 pictures in focus, sometimes the focus was way off even with large close subjects, when using the 7d set up the results with the exact same subjects have given me nearly ten out of ten shots in spot on sharp focus.
I have shot over 1000 aircraft pictures with my 7d since owning it with my 250 STM lens, and out of 1000 I have only had to bin 5 shots, that is a Massive improvement:-D:-D:-D whether it is just a combination of getting stellar equipment with two spot on perfect examples I don't know, and whether I would get the same focus accuracy if I used a mk1 100-400 zoom on it - I don't know?

But I just know that what I have now is focusing better than anything I have seen or owned:-D:-D:-D

P.

That 250 stm is also a great lens. Wish I wouldn't have sold mine.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Pagman
9,847 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 16, 2015 11:27 |  #59

BlakeC wrote in post #17709888 (external link)
That 250 stm is also a great lens. Wish I wouldn't have sold mine.

Very true imagine a 400mm version -:eek::eek::eek:

P.

RBode
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 20, 2015 19:27 |  #60

After reading this string, I found a 7D with a 67XX shudder count for $4995.00. I think I'll take chance.

sponsored links

11,535 views & 21 likes for this thread
So many Eos 7D mk 1 for sale.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.