Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Sep 2015 (Tuesday) 08:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge 551 Challenge Hand made - created

Trumper
958 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by Trumper. (2 edits in all)

Sep 08, 2015 08:48 |  #1

IZE=+2]Challenge #551 - Hand made - created

This can be ANYTHING you or someone else has made,created,invented.​It can be a location where you do this,workshop,garage,a​rt room,darkroom.It can be the finished article or in the process of planning/ doing.Anything,woodwor​k,metalwork,mechanics,​cloth work,cooking,building,​gardening just something hand made not by machine.Have fun :)

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo.
Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 14th September, 2015.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G3 X, G7 X and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the first line of the post.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

[//**--*]Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photog+
    raphers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  6. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -
Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page.
Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon.
Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos.
Thank you.

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

The results below :)

Ridiculously hard to judge as they are all works of art,so so clever.But here they are

1st Place Raven with the Makah Indian Baskets, circa 1890 - i just loved the lighting and the way the textures shone and showed the workmanship.My Nan used to do basket weaving so i appreciate just how much time and effort went into those to get them just so :)

2nd place Oh Look ,As i am someone who attempts to paint and scribble poorly i like this and also with the play on words with the subject title--Hand Made :)

3rd place Carlo y with the highly intricate pendant which i assume is a tree

There really aren't any losers because all these articles are so good, i will ask what are the histories of the mask and the camel stool -what a beauty that mask looks to me like a mystical being.
The double headed camel stool and the rug it stands on ,pure craftsmenship.

Now a special mention for the faz bear mask,i found it quite frightening to be honest but my 18 year old walked past as i was looking at it and said ,i know what that is and told us its a character from a game so he recognised it :) whatever happened to Winnie the Pooh :) Kids these days eh :)
There are alot of histories in these pieces alot of talent and time,sadly in alot of cases neither are in abundance in today's world.
Well done thank you to you all :) Tell us more about all the entries please :)

sponsored links
CarloY
681 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by CarloY. (3 edits in all)

Sep 09, 2015 17:05 |  #2

Pendant -- What is important? The artifact itself? What it represents? Or, its captured image ?

Canon G9

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,048 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by OhLook.

Sep 11, 2015 17:09 |  #3

Pencil drawing

HOSTED PHOTO

G15

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 12, 2015 11:41 |  #4

From Eastern Hands

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/Stool.jpg

G15

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 13, 2015 16:56 |  #5

Venetian 'Bauta' mask

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/551_Handmade_CRW_0254_b_ps_960px.jpg
powershot Pro1

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,243 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Maureen Souza.

Sep 13, 2015 20:23 |  #6

Freddy Fazbear Mask for Aaron

Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 14, 2015 03:30 |  #7

Makah Indian Baskets, circa 1890

G16

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v12/p1470457037-5.jpg

Trumper
THREAD ­ STARTER
958 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by Trumper.

Sep 14, 2015 11:18 |  #8

:-)Now closed ,results soon :)

Winners announced in the 1st post -thank you to everyone-honestly there are no losers :)
There are some questions though :)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,243 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 14, 2015 15:57 |  #9

Congrats to Jim, Oh Look & Carlo! Nice challenge this week, Trumper.

My entry was a first time effort as my 13 year old grandson asked me to make this character from a popular video game. His school has 'Mask Day' every year in the 3rd week as an ice breaker. When I first saw this character I was pretty sure it was out of my league but Aaron found me a tutorial video & although I couldn't find all the parts the video recommended, I improvised & got it done. :-)

http://freddy-fazbears-pizza.wikia.com/wiki/F​reddy_Fazbear (external link)

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,048 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 14, 2015 16:43 |  #10

Trumper wrote in post #17699305 (external link)
Ridiculously hard to judge as they are all works of art,so so clever.

Yes! I wouldn't have wanted to judge this one. Too hard to choose.

2nd place Oh Look ,As i am someone who attempts to paint and scribble poorly i like this and also with the play on words with the subject title--Hand Made :)

Tell us more about all the entries please :)

Thank you. The drawing is my left hand, done with my right hand, 30 years ago. I thought of giving the post a clever title about hands and decided not to, it would be "too cute."

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited over 4 years ago by teekay.

Sep 14, 2015 18:43 |  #11

Congratulations to Raven, OhLook and Carlo!

Raven, I was really interested those beautiful baskets, given the date you placed on them, as I wouldn't have thought there were many that old and in that condition outside museums. I've been to the museum in the Makah village of Neah Bay and was really impressed - was that where you took the photo?

Trumper, that "camel" footstool was bought in a market in Dubai about 50 years ago.

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Raven.

Sep 14, 2015 19:31 |  #12

Congrats OhLook and CarloY. And, thanks, Trumper, for the first place and kind comments.
Again, all photos so good this week. And interesting to boot.
OhLook, your hand drawing is exceptional! For sure the right hand knew what the left hand was doing :-)

Thanks, teekay. The dating is an educated guess based on anecdotal evidence as per their history.
They belonged to my mother's mother's mother (Great Great Grandmother). Handed down for four generations until they came to me.
So "circa" as the exact date cannot be proven. I have seen others that look like these with dates in the 1890 - 1910 range.
They've always been well cared for and in as good of environments as possible.
I shot them on the cover of my dining room table. :-)
But I have been to the museum in Neah Bay (very near to where several of my maternal ancestors, Including my mom, lived).
Have also been to the British Columbia Royal Museum in Victoria where there is an awesome First Nation exhibit. That, too, is near where other members of my maternal side lived (and on up to Prince Rupert and Fort Simpson areas).

I'll be back later this evening with this week's new theme.

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 15, 2015 01:39 |  #13

Congratulations Raven, OhLook, CarloY great photos, and the objects depicted are great too.
teekay and Raven earn the title of curators of their personal museums after seen the quality of conservation of the baskets and the footstool, I thought they were captured in real museums.
OhLook's hand reminded me of drawings of Pilar Bustos, a well known artist here. She has wonderful drawings with thin lines over white paper. Carlo pendant has a creative use of the wires forming the roots and then the trunk that has even a wood knot in it.
It is remarkable how the skills of Maureen showed up in the first attempt to create the mask.

My mask, named 'Bauta', is a souvenir hand made in Venice for tourists, using the historical knowledge of the traditional masks of the Venice of the 18th century. see 'Bauta' in wikipedia (external link)

Thank you Trumper for an interesting challenge!

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Trumper
THREAD ­ STARTER
958 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 15, 2015 03:33 |  #14

:-) I just wanted to say Thank you to everyone that took part and the fantastic and well loved works of art,craftsmanship and histories involved.Makes you realise that we are only on here for a short period of time but these works will be seen for as long as they are looked after,quite a thought.
Thank you :)

CarloY
681 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 16, 2015 00:50 |  #15

congrats Raven & OhLook. Thanks Trumper for the theme and hosting. When I looked around for things, I realized how very little is made by hand anymore.

I liked Rafael's rather eery mask -- wish I could borrow one for the times people come soliciting door to door.

Carlo

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

sponsored links

3,601 views & 2 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge 551 Challenge Hand made - created
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.