Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2015 (Saturday) 18:14
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What to do?"
Go back to 5D2
47.4%
Stick with X-T1
52.6%

19 voters, 19 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Considering going back to Canon

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 10, 2015 13:54 |  #16

UKmitch86 wrote in post #17696309 (external link)
Anybody else been through this thought process?

Yepp, but from the other side :lol:

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,462 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by bobbyz. (3 edits in all)

Sep 10, 2015 14:42 |  #17

I like FF but I wouldn't take 50mm f1.8 or the canon 50mm f1.4 with 5dc over XT1. 5dc AF points are horrible and that 50mm f1.8 is good starter lens but that is it. Now if were saying Sigma 50mm f1.4 (art or non art) sure and even then depending on what you shoot. BTW - I have had 5dc, 5dmk2, 5dmk3 and even at the same time. Still have my 5dmk3, 35L and 85L but using XT1, 23mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.2 a lot more now.

I should add I also had 6d with 5dmk3 for over a yr long period. XT1 gives lore more in focus shots that 6d. In tracking (AI servo), I can get 8 out of 10 shots when using a lens at wider apertures with XT1. Now when shooting action and I need to move from one subject to another quickly, XT1 has its problems compared to dSLRs.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 15, 2015 15:13 |  #18

Before I picked up an X-T1, I would have a hard time with this. Now that I've had one, there's really no contest FOR ME. Ephasis on "for me" lol.

I won't go into my reasons, but I'll just ask, have you thought about the technological and feature differences? Wifi, shorcut buttons, film simulations, updates, and longevity of the cameras? When I got a 6D, I thought wifi was just silly. Now, I almost have to have that feature. We know technology moves at the speed of our flash, some bodies like the 5D2 have stood the test of time, but it does feel like its getting long in the tooth. The X-T1 is still fresh in the camera world and who knows, it might get even more updates. Fuji will definitely be releasing more lenses for us to play with as well. Obviously, they're still catching up to Canon. Going back wouldn't be a horible idea, it would be a safe move as it doesn't seem like Canon is going any where, nor planning on changing anything up. Only release 100+mp cameras. I'm sort of rambling at this point, but I'll just throw out a metaphor. You would be trading in a 2014 car for a 2012 model. Both will get you from A to B, but the new car has nice interior, better stereo, 0-60 time is the same as the old car, but has a different lug pattern and parts are harder to come by. The older car doesn't have bells and whistles of the new one, but you are comfortable driving it. Engine is bigger and easier to work on, plus you already have sets of rims for it, and all your buddies drive one so you can buy parts for it easily.

lol

Just stick with Fuji =)

UKmitch86
THREAD ­ STARTER
318 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by UKmitch86.

Sep 16, 2015 11:28 |  #19

AZFiLM wrote in post #17708844 (external link)
Before I picked up an X-T1, I would have a hard time with this. Now that I've had one, there's really no contest FOR ME. Ephasis on "for me" lol.

I won't go into my reasons, but I'll just ask, have you thought about the technological and feature differences? Wifi, shorcut buttons, film simulations, updates, and longevity of the cameras? When I got a 6D, I thought wifi was just silly. Now, I almost have to have that feature.

We know technology moves at the speed of our flash, some bodies like the 5D2 have stood the test of time, but it does feel like its getting long in the tooth. The X-T1 is still fresh in the camera world and who knows, it might get even more updates. Fuji will definitely be releasing more lenses for us to play with as well. Obviously, they're still catching up to Canon. Going back wouldn't be a horible idea, it would be a safe move as it doesn't seem like Canon is going any where, nor planning on changing anything up. Only release 100+mp cameras.

I'm sort of rambling at this point, but I'll just throw out a metaphor. You would be trading in a 2014 car for a 2012 model. Both will get you from A to B, but the new car has nice interior, better stereo, 0-60 time is the same as the old car, but has a different lug pattern and parts are harder to come by. The older car doesn't have bells and whistles of the new one, but you are comfortable driving it. Engine is bigger and easier to work on, plus you already have sets of rims for it, and all your buddies drive one so you can buy parts for it easily.

lol

Just stick with Fuji =)

I understand the 'for me' bit. That seems to be the key point in all these posts!

I'm not trashing your post, I'm just giving my thoughts on what I need/use;

WiFi
Never used on Fuji, never had a body that could do it previously. In my experience, I just prefer to pop out the card and copy over all the files.

Shortcut buttons
I can't compare the 6D to XT1 here, but I can compare the 5Dc - shortcuts are there to improve speed of operation - I just can't agree with the concept that the XT1 is quicker to use than the well established Canon controls, but it's probably my historical use of the Canon system that's making me think about what it 'could' be like on Fuji.

Film simulations
Never used them, always shoot raw.

Updates
Never buy based on updates, always take the camera as it is - you can't guarantee them, even from Fuji.

Longevity
Having owned the 5Dc for a long period, I can testify to how unnecessary it is to have the latest body!

I like the car analogy, seems to fit quite well! I'm definitely more comfortable driving the Canon. Anyway, it's a done deal now, I've just shipped the last Fuji lens I had to a new home.

Just need to shift the XT1 and pick up the 6D now, hopefully it'll only take another couple of days.

Canon 1Ds3 | 16-35/4 | 50/1.8 | 135/2
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/ukmitch86/ (external link)

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 17, 2015 10:07 as a reply to  @ UKmitch86's post |  #20

Man, if only a few weeks ago we could have traded lol. I just bought an X-T1 and sold my 6D. You are correct, the "For Me" is the absolute most important aspect of the whole decision. The Fuji camera's will miss you, most likely not the other way around. Give the 6D's Wifi a look though. Not just for quick photo transfer, but also for remote shooting. It's another gimmick and I know you couldn't care less about those things, but it's a fresh fun idea. I come from the school of not requiring the newest latest and greatest gear as well. I was shooting with a 6D and origianl X100 up until last Saturday and didn't need anything more. Now that I do know what the new gear feels like, I don't want to look back lol.

Again, rambling.

Enjoy your move back to Canon, we'll be here for ya if you ever wish to come back!

-Andrew

radiohead1075
207 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 19, 2015 21:03 as a reply to  @ AZFiLM's post |  #21

This was an interesting thread to read, as I am in a similar situation of thinking about switching things up.

I have a 5DC that I have been thinking of upgrading. Was initially set on picking up a used 5D III, but as I started checking out what else is out there, I have been intrigued by Fuji's and Sony's offerings. Fuji mainly for similar quality in a compact size, Sony for it's awesome technical capabilities. Decisions decisions...

5D III | Fuji X-T10
24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L I | 50mm f/1.2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L I | 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS
My Photos (external link)

UKmitch86
THREAD ­ STARTER
318 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by UKmitch86. (3 edits in all)

Sep 20, 2015 07:53 |  #22

radiohead1075 wrote in post #17713882 (external link)
This was an interesting thread to read, as I am in a similar situation of thinking about switching things up.

I have a 5DC that I have been thinking of upgrading. Was initially set on picking up a used 5D III, but as I started checking out what else is out there, I have been intrigued by Fuji's and Sony's offerings. Fuji mainly for similar quality in a compact size, Sony for it's awesome technical capabilities. Decisions decisions...

For me (!) the 5Dc was more satisfying to use than the Fuji. Age and featureset didn't really come into it. I've made my purchase of new FF Canon body now. Bit of a marathon post, but I hope worth the read.

As you've read the thread, you probably already know my opinion on ergonomics - the AF point selection requiring a few button presses to pick one is irritating. I can't comment on the Sony, the only feature I know they share that I've meaningful experience of is the viewfinder - while very good, very clear, plenty of information etc, I've come to realise how valuable the OVF is - mentally I found it difficult to unlearn the Canon method of realising what scene was in front of you and apply ISO/Shutter/Aperture values to creative effect - in the Fuji, the effects of those settings are already applied - you never see the scene in front of you for how it is. I'm sure you could turn that off, but I guess there's always the conversion process from sensor to EVF - some 'JPEG-ifying' tech must be used in that display.

I've taken the results of the poll with a pinch of salt. Given the forum section this is posted in, I expected there to be a pro Fuji mindset - the same post I placed in the Canon 'changing camera systems' section was equally as in favour of coming back. That's something else to consider - I love talking about the equipment and learning new techniques, seeing other people's work as much as I love getting out there with the camera - with the Fuji, you do give-up the whole big community of the Canon userbase. Proof positive is that I've been trying to sell my Fuji X-T1 for about 2 weeks now - the eBay listing is very much reasonable too. It's a young system, and a growing one - hopefully it expands to the point where the used equipment inventory is as rich as the Canon and Nikon systems.

I eventually went with a 1Ds3 - I was going back to full frame Canon - the choices and reasons for disregarding were;

1) Get a new 6D
Reasonable at £815 new, good single cross type AF point, build and handling relatively 'lesser' (nobody disagrees when it's called a fullframe 60D). Didn't want to run the gauntlet that the wheel within a wheel within a wheel AF point selection was as fiddly as the Fuji.

2) Get a used 5D2
Good copies are starting to thin-out, AF not an upgrade over 5Dc, build good, has the joystick for AF, CF cards only (only have SD now)

3) Get a used 5D3
Around the £1100 mark gets you a battered 100k actuations copy. AF and speed better than 6D, you keep the AF joystick, but walk away feeling like you've just spent that sort of money on something that's *really* used. Reviews abound that ISO performance is no better than 6D or 1Ds3, nor is IQ significantly better than either.

4) Get a used 1Ds2n
I do love using the older less cluttered models, but this one is just a little step too far back. Screen is 2" and controls still had the 'mistake-limiting' two button press approach. Used copies going for far less, around the £500 mark. 12bit raw files too, like the 5Dc - I have unfortunately experienced clear gradations in sunsets with that model, didn't want that again.

The 1Ds3 I found had <3000 actuations and cosmetically mint. I paid £1000. It has 21MP on the sensor, 14bit raw, ISO noise comparable to 6D at 1600 (some might disagree, but the-digital-picture noise comparisons are quite clear), 19 cross type AF points and 5 continuous frames a second. It has the AF joystick, ISO is optimised for least noise at the low end (great for tripod-based shots, landscape, fine art) and the built in grip has the full compliment of controls replicated for portrait shooting. And, well, come on, it's a 1Ds!

Hope this helps.

Canon 1Ds3 | 16-35/4 | 50/1.8 | 135/2
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/ukmitch86/ (external link)

dankin
503 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 20, 2015 18:09 |  #23

I tried going all Fuji, first with adding an X-E1 to my 5d2 setup, then full in when the X-T1 came out. I didn't keep the X-T1 for long. Ended up moving back to Canon with a 6d. For me the biggest factor was the X-trans sensor. I'm just not a fan of it for landscapes, regardless of which RAW convertor is used. I do miss the weight a little, but I'm much happier with the final image once it's been printed from my 6d. A lot of people rave about the Fuji colors but I personally wasn't crazy about them. The Canon gives me a more neutral pallete to work from, without putting it's own signature on everything. I do feel like I'm going to end up with either a D810 or a A7rII next year, because I'm wanting to print larger. I haven't totally ruled out a 5dS either, but I would prefer the dynamic range of Nikon or Sony.

EOS R, 6d, 16-35 F4 IS, RF 24-105, 70-200 F4 IS

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
2,594 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by clipper_from_oz. (15 edits in all)

Sep 21, 2015 01:00 |  #24

radiohead1075 wrote in post #17713882 (external link)

I would wait and see what Fuji do with Xpro1 /Xt1 updates depending on what size sensor it comes in with It may be what you are after...Certainly the current Xtrans sensor will beat any of the conventiopnal DSLR 1.6 cropped Bayer array sensors used by the other manufacturers . And additionally Fuji 16mpAPS-c Xtrans sensor currently resolves similar to a FF DSLR Bayer Array 22 MP sensor anyway ( due to no anti aliasing filter) so any increase in size of fujis next sensor offering will be a killer produuct thats for sure.

Also Ive heard a very reliable report / rumor that Fuji may also be working on a mirrorless medium format digital but in a large mirrorless/small DSLR size body . And that would have the capacity to get all the competitors worried....Inc Phase One , Hasselblad as well as the DSLR and mirrorless manufacturers like Canon Nikon and Sony etc Whats important to working out whether rumors have merit or not is to understand whether or not the rumor is a fit with that particular company and its product mix or not....In fujis case just have to look at their pedigree they have in their past history of marketing both Medium format Body AND lens in days of film ( they still manufacture some analogue bodies that can take digital backs)) to see it wouldnt be hard for them to address that market .....as it was for them to enter the miorrorless market and do well. ......so if they indeed do something in that space you can bet that it will be good. Just the lens alone would be spectacular as Fujinon lens are as good if not better than equivalent Leica or Zeissnas as is their premium X series len's .......And.... if they take the Xtrans sensor IP and use it for a larger sensor sizes and resolution then its game over in my book.

And yes I may be a little bias because I own some fuji equipment along with my canon gear :) . But having grown up with Fuji's Medium format Bodies and Lens both in Studio and rangefinder 6x9 format I know what they are capable of .....Thats why I went fuji the moment they released the mirrorless Xtrans sensors along with the unbelievably good selection of lens that went with these X series bodies. These guys know how to innovate and turn markets on their head and the Xtrans sensor and fujinon glass in my book iare only just the start of it all for Fuji in their attack on the mirrorless digfital space.....

Clipper

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

starlights
661 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 21, 2015 20:56 |  #25

Whatever floats your boat is good :) Stay/move to the camera you feel most comfortable making pictures with. Technology will change and if you end up trying to play catch up, you will have missed the time to enjoy the process and make beautiful photographs.

I am on the verge of selling all my canon stuff. I started photography when I was in college with a Minolta X700. Down the years, I missed the simplicity of that camera. I have been with Canon, ever since they came out with the FF Digital, however, I never truly enjoyed the process of making pretty pictures, until I got my hands on an X-T1. Now it feels like I am back with X700. X-t1 works for me, but may not work for another person, so go with the camera equipment you feel most comfortable with and more importantly, enjoy making images with.

sponsored links

6,455 views & 0 likes for this thread
Considering going back to Canon
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.