Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Sep 2015 (Sunday) 13:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help with 7Dmk2 and 600EX-RT Tv settings

gqllc007
445 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by gqllc007. (2 edits in all)

Sep 20, 2015 13:47 |  #1

I was out shooting this past weekend and I had the flash on camera and I was in
Tv mode with shutter at 1/500 and flash on high speed synch
The issue was with Auto ISO....I had it set to auto iso and it would always revert to ISO400 when I would use the flash.
Any idea why I could not shoot in Tv with the flash at a higher ISO??
Do I have something set wrong??

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,986 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 20, 2015 14:03 |  #2

Yes, the setting of Auto ISO was wrong. You should have changed it to the ISO value you really needed.

Anders

gqllc007
THREAD ­ STARTER
445 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Sep 20, 2015 14:11 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #3

The light was changing drastically and quickly. How come you cant leave it in Auto ISO with the flash on? It would function fine in Auto ISO except for when you turned the flash on and then the camera would revert to ISO 400

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,986 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by apersson850.

Sep 20, 2015 14:58 |  #4

Because Canon's flash metering system is based on metering ambient light well before the photo is taken, and flash right before the photo is taken. If ISO was allowed to vary, then it may be that what the camera found useful for ambient light is not at all useful for flash. But when that's found out, it's too late, since the user has at that time already been told what time and aperture will be used. If the camera would change the ISO at the time of flash metering, this data wouldn't be correct, but it's too late to find out then.

Hence the camera converts Auto ISO to ISO 400 as soon as you use the flash, to give you a consistent set of data for your picture. The user's guide would tell you this, but I don't think it tells you the technical reason for it.

Use the camera's ability to vary flash output, time and aperture instead.

Anders

gqllc007
THREAD ­ STARTER
445 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by gqllc007. (2 edits in all)

Sep 20, 2015 15:44 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #5

Ok Thanks for that explanation

dexy101
Goldmember
2,345 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 21, 2015 07:22 |  #6

I remember something like this on my 5D3, if you were shooting with flash in av or tv and auto iso it would always set it to ISO400 for some reason before even shooting. Manual ISO is the way to go.

N2bnfunn
688 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 21, 2015 10:01 |  #7

TV mode? never you should have used AV using auto ISO, and set your 600ex to manual mode and do the adjustment from from the camera.

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 21, 2015 11:19 |  #8

Yes. If I use anything other than manual I will use AV. Never TV.

Just in case a warning about using AV indoors. Because it us aperture priority the system will set the shutter speed to whatever is required to maintain your selected aperture. Often because the ambient light is so dark shutter speeds can be as low as 1/15.

Sometimes people do that on purpose to bring in more ambient. The flash will freeze the subject and if there is little movement in the background IS and or a steady hand can compensate for what the flash can't illuminate enough to freeze.

The only way around this is to shoot with a wide open (or close) to aperture and crank the ISO up until the shutter speed becomes acceptable. 1/60 is good. Some people don't like to shoot with high ISO's.

I remember a thread where a person was asked to shoot the company xmas party and ran into this which frustrated him and struggled all night. He was about to give up photography.

Setting the camera on manual when shooting indoors is the preferred method as you can set both aperture and shutter speeds to your liking. The flash takes care of the subject exposure.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

gqllc007
THREAD ­ STARTER
445 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Sep 21, 2015 13:39 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #9

Indoors I use manual and set my ISO to 400-800 depending on lighting with a flash.
My subjects were moving all around that day and Av wasnt cutting it as the shutter speeds were way too low with flash and the subject movement

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 21, 2015 13:45 |  #10

gqllc007 wrote in post #17716078 (external link)
Indoors I use manual and set my ISO to 400-800 depending on lighting with a flash.
My subjects were moving all around that day and Av wasnt cutting it as the shutter speeds were way too low with flash and the subject movement

Cool. I will take my 5D3 up to 6,400 but prefer a max of 3,200. One of the called smorter that we have not seen in a while shot exclusively in AV indoors. You are pretty much bringing in the correct amount of ambient to start with and flash finishes it off. Of course you achieve that in M.

Image Editing OK

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,982 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 22, 2015 19:35 |  #11

On my cameras, and I'm sure it should be in all EOS DSLRs, there is an option in the flash menus that will limit the shutter speed to 1/60s when using ETTL flash in Av mode. This is useful as you can then still set your preferred aperture in Av mode, and the flash acts as only fill light, until the light drops below the point where the shutter speed would fall below 1/60. At this point the flash output will start to be boosted to at least maintain exposure on the subject, and the background will start to become darker.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 22, 2015 20:55 |  #12

Yes that is true.

Image Editing OK

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,986 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 23, 2015 09:54 |  #13

The option BigAl mentions is on all reasonably recent EOS cameras. You have to go back to models like the 40D for this particular setting not to be there. It had only floating or locked at shortest flash sync time.

Anders

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,900 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 23, 2015 10:00 |  #14

I use the 600 RT and I shoot with the camera in manual, underexposing the background by 2/3 of a stop, the flash in ETTL and set the ISO at 100 or 200. My shots come out perfect every time.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

gqllc007
THREAD ­ STARTER
445 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Sep 23, 2015 13:36 as a reply to  @ James P's post |  #15

So you set your 5Dmk3 to -2/3 exp compensation? I did this all the time -2/3 exp compensation and ISO 160 and Flash ETTL. I did not do this on my 7Dmk2

sponsored links

2,976 views & 1 like for this thread
Need help with 7Dmk2 and 600EX-RT Tv settings
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.