Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2015 (Tuesday) 00:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #552 - Antiques

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Raven.

Sep 15, 2015 00:08 |  #1

I did a little research to see if I could find a quantitative definition for "antique". Seems there is no consensus on how old something must be in order to be called an antique. The US Customs Department was the only place I found with an actual age - 100 years or more.
So let's not be too concerned about the actual age. I'll leave that qualification up to you. But lets not include collectibles (eg. coins, stamps), replicas or buildings. That would make this way too easy. Other than that, what defines something antique is totally up to you.

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo.
Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 21st September, 2015.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G3 X, G7 X and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the first line of the post.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

[//**--*]Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photog+
    raphers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  6. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -
Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page.
Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon.
Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos.
Thank you.

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

Thanks to everyone who submitted an entry this week. I'm a bit surprised there weren't more.
But all entries this week were very nice.

Trumper - Village Water Pump: Definitely a bit of history with this one. Love the paint job. And the vintage building in the background. I'm having a bit of trouble with the composition. May just be me.
I used to visit some friends who lived on an old farm. And a pump like this was the only way to get water. Fortunately, the pump was in the kitchen and not outside. :-)

Spoko57 - 1920's Seneca Improved View Camera: No mistaking that for a pocket camera. Very nice photo and quite appropriate for a photography contest.

Maureen - 1907 Cello: I love cello music. And from the wear marks, I bet yours produced a lot of beautiful sounds during its lifetime!
I like the close up view as opposed to trying to capture the entire instrument.

teekay - The People's Medical Advisor - 1895: That has to be a very interesting read. The text under the Man is a Social Being really caught my eye :-)
You captured the subtle yellowing of the pages very nicely.

Selecting the top three was, as usual, quite difficult.

Third place: I really had a problem with determining this place. But I'll give the nod to Maureen for her 1907 cello.
Second place: Trumper Village Water Pump
First place: Spoco57 1920's Seneca Improved View Camera

Thanks, everyone, for showing off some wonderful old antiques.
It's all yours, Steve.

sponsored links
Trumper
962 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 17, 2015 08:37 |  #2

Village water pump g1x mk11

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 18, 2015 09:09 |  #3

1920's Seneca Improved View Camera
G1X

HOSTED PHOTO

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,257 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 18, 2015 17:38 |  #4

1907 Cello

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 19, 2015 11:50 |  #5

"The People's Medical Adviser" 1895

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/MedicalAdviser.jpg

G15

Raven
THREAD ­ STARTER
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 21, 2015 12:31 |  #6

Challenge is now closed. Results later today.

Raven
THREAD ­ STARTER
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 21, 2015 18:22 |  #7

Thanks again for all your entries.
Results posted above.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 21, 2015 21:44 |  #8

Congratulations to Spoco, Trumper and Maureen!

I knew that old camera would be hard to beat but couldn't resist entering a typical page from that old "Medical Adviser" illustrating a truly "antique" view of the world held by many Westerners in those days. The opinions and advice given in it are so politically and factually incorrect that they are laughable rather than offensive in this day and age. And you should read what the author has to say about bicycling, young womens' dress, sex and alcohol!:twisted:

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,090 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 21, 2015 21:59 |  #9

Congratulations to the winners! teekay, I thought of posting a page from an old book, a dietetics textbook for nursing students which includes a section on what to feed a wet nurse (it seems that wet nurses often requested beer), but your book is older and better. Its "medical advice" is hilarious and pathetic.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 21, 2015 22:15 |  #10

Thanks Raven, and congrats to Maureen and Trumper. Would've loved to see a few more entries this week.... I wasn't expecting the 'honors' again.

I was at my daughter's house this week to greet her 4 day old (our newest grandchild). Our son-in-law just completed his MFA at Ohio University... his work has been largely in glass-plate photography, mixing and applying the collodion and printing beautiful old-school photos that he's taken with this view camera. Believe it or not, it's the compact 'backpack' version of the larger Seneca 8x10. He rebuilt the bellows himself, hence the green silk. Anyhow it was sitting there on the table and I just snapped a shot of it for the week's topic.

I'll try to get a new topic up tomorrow morning. Thanks for doing the honors, Raven!

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 21, 2015 23:11 |  #11

Congratulations Spoco57, Trumper, Maureen for the top places and to all for the great contributions.
A most interesting theme, Raven, thanks for hosting.

I set up my picture with a stone-age arrow point made with a volcanic glass named obsidian.
Sadly, my Pro1 decided to show its serious inttermitent problem with the sensor those days and I was out.

It is a wonderful arrow point of almost clear obsidian (it is usually translucent, but black).
I will share with you my antique object shot with my faithful Rebel XT.

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/552_chat_RebelXTphoto_Antiques_IMG_8630_480px.jpg

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Trumper
962 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 22, 2015 06:34 |  #12

:-) Well done everyone and agree with the comments about more people needing to participate.Once again the photos that are sent in really do have stories and a wonderful way into another world .
My photo is of an old village water pump i walk the dogs past quite regularly .The photo itself was cropped down abit because there was a car parked just on the right handside which i wanted out of the photo.
Well done Spoco,old cameras certainly have character and are actually quite cheap .

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 22, 2015 10:06 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #13

Very interesting obsidian point, Rafael. Not only a true antique, but I believe the almost transparent type is very rare. Certainly all the obsidian I've seen (and I have a few flakes in front of me as I write) is an opaque, dense black.

Raven
THREAD ­ STARTER
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Raven.

Sep 22, 2015 22:25 |  #14

Very beautiful example of clear obsidian, Rafael; especially given it's intended purpose.
I've never seen a piece like that. Amazing!

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,257 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 22, 2015 23:55 |  #15

Congrats to Spoco & Trumper & thanks for my 3rd place. The story behind the cello is that my mother-in-law started playing it in 1927. It was passed on to her from a family relative who bought it new in 1907. When my mother-in-law passed away nearly 4 years ago, we decided the old cello would come to our home & sits atop a display case in the living room. We thought about getting it restored but nobody here plays & it was quite costly to fix up. So we have a few photos of my mother-in-law playing it as a girl & we love the whole story behind it. She played it until she about 80 years old.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

sponsored links

4,038 views & 1 like for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.