Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 21 Sep 2015 (Monday) 08:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First HS Football Shoot, Observations.

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,844 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by K Soze.

Sep 21, 2015 08:08 |  #1

Shot my first ever football game because the local paper needed help with coverage. http://www.thebatavian​.com …ts-elbabyron-bergen/77430 (external link)

The morning of the game I looked online for some tips on how to shoot the game. Best info I read was stand 15 yards in front of the line of scrimmage or 5 yards behind and if you have a big lens stand behind end zone. So that is basically what I did. I found out, at least for my first game, I liked standing at the gaol line so I could shoot down field and then get a shot of them crossing he goal line. The field this game was played on was just painted grass. Had there beed a clear delineation of end zone marking vs any where else on the field I would think staying behind the end zone would work well too. The other good tip was set exposure compensation +2/3 a stop to get the faces inside the helmits. Also I shot JPEGs not raw files.

The gear I started the game with was my 7Dmkii with the 200-400 zoom with built in 1.4 extender. My 1DX with the 70 to 200 on it. Turns out I had the lens camera combo backwards. I had too much reach withe 7dmkii and rarely engaged the extender in the 200-400 lens and the 70 to 200 on the 1DX was not enough lens at times. So I switched them and that worked out just about perfect until the end of the game for candids where I needed to put the 70-200 back on he 1DX as not to be framed too tight.

Because both of my cameras are speed demons I took way too many shots and editing was a chore. I was trying not to spray and pray too much but not ever having shot a game I started shooting early and ended late make sure I did not miss anything. I got better by the end of the game and was shooting two three shot bursts for the action.

I'm shooing a game this coming Saturday too, any other tips or suggestions?

I try to make art by pushing buttons

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by xchangx.

Sep 22, 2015 00:35 |  #2

Couple of thoughts:

1) Watch your exposure. Some are underexposed. Overexpose enough to bring out the faces.
2) Crop tighter
3) You missed focus on some of these
4) Shots don't always have to be vertical. You've got a good mix, but some would be better horizontal.
5) If your light is steady (consistent) then shoot manual. Meter off the grass to get a starting point. Auto modes can vary too much.
6) Don't be afraid to push the ISO. I regularly shoot at ISO 8000/10,000. The trick is to slightly overexpose then bring it down in post. Underexposing and bringing it up in post only makes the noise worse.
7) Shoot RAW! Especially if lighting is bad.

Practice, practice, practice! Keep shooting!!

Michael

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

K ­ Soze
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,844 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 22, 2015 07:48 |  #3

Thanks for the input,

1, yep
2, will do
3, Um ya I did
4, I agree, I think that was a Kelby tip to shoot 90 percent vertical, it did not work out that well.
5, It was inconsistent, I'll try that
6, no fear there
7, I shoot RAW so much I forgot how to switch to JPEG. I switched because the big sports photogs recommend jpeg for the speed. I did not fill up a buffer when I shot this game saw raw would have worked.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
First HS Football Shoot, Observations.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.