Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Aug 2015 (Friday) 20:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Marketing to High School Seniors for FREE

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 24, 2015 09:27 |  #16

With no marketing budget, your best bet is to go to the source - the parents. Go to some local events, practices, etc. Take photos of whats going on and offer them up for free. Hand out your cards to the parents and get a good rapport going with them. As long as the images you offer up for free are good, the parents will choose someone they have interacted with, like, and trust over some random person that ran an ad. Network it!

If you have a decent portfolio, throw some ads on craigslist.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

sponsored links
RandallB
311 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 24, 2015 13:38 |  #17

the flying moose wrote in post #17719672 (external link)
That's the exact opposite in my experience. I remember my grad and senior photos. My parents wanted them and I didn't. I went for them. If they didn't push it, I wouldn't have bothered. Stuff like that doesn't seem to be a big of deal like that in Canada I have found.

I wish senior photos were a big deal in Canada- it seems like a fun and profitable niche.

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 24, 2015 13:48 |  #18

RandallB wrote in post #17720359 (external link)
I wish senior photos were a big deal in Canada- it seems like a fun and profitable niche.

In my neck of the woods I would not say its highly profitable unless you can make it into the top tier. It tends to be where every person with an entry level camera starts out. I am thinking about removing it from my offerings all together. All I ever see and hear is so and so's mom/dad/brother/uncle did mine for free, I could ask them to do yours too.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 24, 2015 14:08 |  #19

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17720367 (external link)
In my neck of the woods I would not say its highly profitable unless you can make it into the top tier. It tends to be where every person with an entry level camera starts out. I am thinking about removing it from my offerings all together. All I ever see and hear is so and so's mom/dad/brother/uncle did mine for free, I could ask them to do yours too.

Same here. Around here, seniors are shooting other seniors. Many do it for free or under $50 and supply all the RAWs and copyrights. Quality doesn't seem to be as much of a concern with parents as money is.

Blake C
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 24, 2015 15:09 |  #20

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17720060 (external link)
I think it depends a lot on the gender of the student. Guys tend to not care so much about senior photos, the girls on the other hand tend to care a great deal.

Again, that depends on your location. I thought about getting into the senior portraits as no one in town offered them. I had responses range from "no thanks" to "that's a thing?" to "seriously, people actually get those done?".

All I know is my experience and that leads me to believe, in my area anyhow, senior photos are not even on the radar of students.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 24, 2015 15:36 |  #21

the flying moose wrote in post #17720474 (external link)
Again, that depends on your location. I thought about getting into the senior portraits as no one in town offered them. I had responses range from "no thanks" to "that's a thing?" to "seriously, people actually get those done?".

All I know is my experience and that leads me to believe, in my area anyhow, senior photos are not even on the radar of students.

Do the schools not do yearbooks there? Here they are required to turn in a photo for the yearbook.

Blake C

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 24, 2015 15:49 |  #22

BlakeC wrote in post #17720502 (external link)
Do the schools not do yearbooks there? Here they are required to turn in a photo for the yearbook.

Here as well, or the school uses the one from their school pictures (the one they use for ID cards and what not at school).

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 25, 2015 01:19 |  #23

BlakeC wrote in post #17720502 (external link)

Not all of them and Grade 8 was the only year of high school I attended that actually had a yearbook, they just had a guy come in and do photos like you would have gotten in elementary school. Also, you had the choice of opting out and it was not required to even be in the yearbook. I didn't even get mine done. Grade 9, they didn't do one because nearly half the students of the school in the previous year didn't bother with the photos and the yearbooks did not sell at all. Personally, I don't see the need of a book of photos of people I barely knew or talked to throughout my high school career.

sponsored links

5,198 views & 2 likes for this thread
Marketing to High School Seniors for FREE
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.