Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 18 Jul 2007 (Wednesday) 17:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Red Ring Tupperware Party, Autumnal Equinoctal Edition (24)

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,590 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2015 21:52 |  #11266

Timphoto wrote in post #17716304 (external link)
Did either of you have "Location Service" or "Find my phone" on?

My wife's 3rd gen Ipad is also bricked. Can't even do a hardware reset on it. She had location services and find my phone/ipad turned to ON.

I did/do have them turned on. I upgraded to ios9 soon after it was released. although I did it through itunes - much safer and better.

i always back up my iphone/ipad once a month, but also especially before any update, and i update it when i am hooked up to the laptop.

SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links
Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,763 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 21, 2015 21:55 |  #11267

JWright wrote in post #17716638 (external link)
I think the 150-600 would be too long, but you might want to consider both the 24-70 and the 70-200. It's been so long since I shot on full frame (35 mm film) that I'm not sure how they would work at the zoo. If I had to go with one lens I'd have to go with the 70-200 with the possible inclusion of a 1.4 or 2x extender (or both.) You will need something long to help blur out the wire of the exhibit enclosures.

The last time I was down there I just my 40D, the 24-105, and the 70-200 and it was fine. I used both about equally, and I had many shots in the 100-135 range, but there were several times when I wished I had taken my 1.4 extender with me.

If I were doing it again, I'd follow John's recommendation for the 24-70, 70-200 and a 1.4 extender. YMMV :-)

Tim

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,238 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 21, 2015 23:46 |  #11268

Thanks, guys.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Harm
48,590 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 22, 2015 11:35 |  #11269

JWright wrote in post #17716225 (external link)
OK. As you saw in Jim's shot, my wife works at the zoo and we live very close to the zoo also. I could certainly meet you there.

take the man up on the offer. John and Heather were awesome to meet, and were very nice / helpful around the zoo and areas. Always good to meet another POTN folk.

SmugMug (external link)

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,763 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 24, 2015 09:27 |  #11270

Harm wrote in post #17716749 (external link)
I did/do have them turned on. I upgraded to ios9 soon after it was released. although I did it through itunes - much safer and better.

i always back up my iphone/ipad once a month, but also especially before any update, and i update it when i am hooked up to the laptop.

According to the 2nd Apple support person I talked to, while it should not have made a difference, upgrading via iTunes is the difference between success and failure on the IOS 9 upgrade.

Tim

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,191 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 24, 2015 20:35 |  #11271

Timphoto wrote in post #17720075 (external link)
According to the 2nd Apple support person I talked to, while it should not have made a difference, upgrading via iTunes is the difference between success and failure on the IOS 9 upgrade.

Good to know.

Melody

Woolburr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Sep 24, 2015 20:43 |  #11272

Timphoto wrote in post #17715286 (external link)
Okay Dan I get that, but its her phone, not mine. Would you like to pass on to her what you suggested?  :p

I have an android phone. The Apple clown(s) who issued this upgrade clearly never tested it on the iPhone 5s. Apparently they only believe one previous generation of their hardware is worthy of quality software support.

Seems like every time apple does an upgrade, there are a ton of problems. Every where you go, you hear people complaining about it....and yet, they continue to buy apple products. If I had that much trouble with a product, I sure as hell wouldn't be a repeat customer.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Jill-of-all-Trades
16,191 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 24, 2015 21:14 |  #11273

I'm on my second iPhone and will most likely continue with them. My siblings went through so many Blackberrys that I knew full well that I would never get one. Friends have gone through lots of Android phones and they are not devoid of problems either. As a family, we have had the most success with Apple. We keep phones for a few years and then upgrade, no one has had any significant issues. iMessage, Find My Friends, dropping pins, and other features are really useful as a family.

As for the software, I never update immediately. But then I also never upgrade Windows immediately, or buy a newly redesigned vehicle, or ever get the first offering of just about anything.

Apple is not for everyone. Samsung is not for everyone. Ford, GM, Dodge, foreign, domestic, winter, summer, Canon, Nikon, organic, GMO, sugar free, etc. Everyone has their preferences.

Melody

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,238 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 25, 2015 08:45 |  #11274

So much for cool fall weather. It was officially 102 in Vegas yesterday, but 106 at my daughters house and 109 when the wife and I were out driving around in the North end of the valley. This is crap.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 25, 2015 08:52 |  #11275

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #17720855 (external link)
Ford, foreign, domestic, winter, summer, Canon, organic. Everyone has their preferences.

Yeppers, and on this list, these are mine. :)

With the Apple stuff I have used in the past, what I don't like most is them wanting full control over so many aspects of it, and the limitations with the iPod I had was frustrating. I love that with Android that the software is made available to many different manufacturers, allowing competition within the platform. Having dozens of good choices for music players, as opposed to have only iTunes on Apple, is fantastic. Plus paying $0.10 to $0.15 per song beats having to pay $0.99.

-JIM-

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,763 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 25, 2015 09:13 as a reply to  @ LV Moose's post |  #11276

It's no fun when it gets that hot. We're at 53 right now, with a predicted high of 93. That's not too much over the typical weather here this time of year.

Tim

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,341 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 25, 2015 09:54 |  #11277

I love the hot. It's still in the mid-90s each day and with the pool solar cover on, the pool is staying at a comfortable 85 degrees.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Jill-of-all-Trades
16,191 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 25, 2015 19:14 |  #11278

We hit 75F today. It was an absolutely beautiful day to be working outside. Right now we're at 66F and will drop to 59F overnight.

Melody

Jill-of-all-Trades
16,191 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 25, 2015 19:31 |  #11279

How much pie do you think 40 teenagers would eat? I'm providing dessert for a youth event at the church Sunday night. They're estimating having about 40 kids, but it may be more, or may be less.

Pumpkin is cooking down right now, so the house smells great!

Melody

Harm
48,590 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 25, 2015 20:17 |  #11280

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #17721846 (external link)
How much pie do you think 40 teenagers would eat? I'm providing dessert for a youth event at the church Sunday night. They're estimating having about 40 kids, but it may be more, or may be less.

Pumpkin is cooking down right now, so the house smells great!

40 teenagers?

are they couch potatoes, or are they sporty types? the sporty types will devour anything like locusts!

SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links

1,354,627 views & 2,910 likes for this thread
Red Ring Tupperware Party, Autumnal Equinoctal Edition (24)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.