Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
Thread started 08 Nov 2008 (Saturday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post Your Food Photography

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,362 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 24, 2015 20:21 as a reply to  @ post 17720768 |  #4636

Thanks Lupo.

sponsored links
sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by sspellman.

Sep 25, 2015 11:19 as a reply to  @ post 17720396 |  #4637

Honestly I think this photo could be much better. The styling of the tuna should be much more interesting with herbs or spices or a sauce on top. The flash lighting and shadows is harsh and unappealing. Natural sunlight from a nearby window would be much more flattering. For this dish I would use a side angle and use DOF to bring the viewers attention straight to the focal point of the dish-usually the protein. The wide blue band of the dish is a big distraction to the food. With a more careful effort, I think you can do much better.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,880 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 25, 2015 11:51 |  #4638

sspellman wrote in post #17721434 (external link)
Honestly I think this photo could be much better. The styling of the tuna should be much more interesting . . .

On technical grounds, you're right, but context, context! Dave titled his photo "Quick Lunch," and even without minced parsley on the tuna, it looks better than the quick lunches that many people make at home. Not everything in this thread is meant to meet commercial standards so well that an art director would use it. I've occasionally posted here, but I'm not a professional food photographer with a studio and all. If critiques like your post are going to be common, it discourages me from posting.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

PhotosGuy
75,867 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 25, 2015 11:57 |  #4639

OhLook wrote in post #17721461 (external link)
On technical grounds, you're right, but context, context! Dave titled his photo "Quick Lunch," and even without minced parsley on the tuna, it looks better than the quick lunches that many people make at home. Not everything in this thread is meant to meet commercial standards so well that an art director would use it. I've occasionally posted here, but I'm not a professional food photographer with a studio and all. If critiques like your post are going to be common, it discourages me from posting.

I would rather see a post that covers more than you want to know. Take it or leave it. One that says "GREAT SHOT" tells you nothing useful about the image.
And I'll add this: I'd like to see a few more highlights reflecting in the tomatoes, & less shining on the table. How hard would it have been to add a white bounce card at the side?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,362 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 25, 2015 18:58 |  #4640

Honestly, I had made this plate for lunch and though it looked good to me so I took a photo. I was playing around earlier with OCF and took a shot trying to get a lot of structure. I didn't garnish the tuna because I was going to eat it and I didn't want any parsley. I guess I could have taken more prep time to set the plate up better, but it really just was my lunch and hunger overcame my technical decisions. ;-)a

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 25, 2015 19:23 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #4641

Specific guidance and constructive criticism are essential to building photography skills. Its they key to making better photos that we can all enjoy.

anliz
75 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 25, 2015 23:39 |  #4642

Homemade matcha croissants

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The matcha loaf version

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,880 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 26, 2015 00:04 |  #4643

sspellman wrote in post #17721843 (external link)
Specific guidance and constructive criticism are essential to building photography skills. Its they key to making better photos that we can all enjoy.

I agree with all that, but my point about the chilling effect on future contributions remains unaddressed and unacknowledged. Sometimes I take a casual shot of food just because it looks good or interesting. I might not want to delay a meal by taking the time to find the best location, set up reflectors, and get everything just right. By Dave's account, his lunch shot was of that kind.

The situation would be completely different if Dave had asked for C&C.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 26, 2015 12:08 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #4644

Good food and photography takes effort-period. With good direction, everyone can take better food photos. I take iPhone snapshots of my meals too-but I don't post them here. I'll start another thread "Snapshots Of Mundane Snacks and Useless Ego Stroking Likes"

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,880 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 26, 2015 13:15 |  #4645

sspellman wrote in post #17722478 (external link)
I'll start another thread "Snapshots Of Mundane Snacks and Useless Ego Stroking Likes"

Now the topic has shifted from image quality to attitudes. I wish I could safely post what I'm thinking.

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,892 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 26, 2015 14:14 |  #4646

Everyone got mad at me a while back because i criticized someones work in this thread. I was merely trying to offer a bit of cc. I think the thing is with this site and this thread, its a photographers site at heart. Not an instagram page to post you lunch. If you put your work out to the world on here then expect cc.

Anyway back on topic.....

Jambon Beurre as served at Bardot here in Vegas

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/598/21735918085_553b105659_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/z7Jg​bn  (external link) Bardot Jambon Beurre (external link) by Anthony Mair (external link), on Flickr

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,348 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 26, 2015 15:14 |  #4647

I absolutely agree with you, I always look at this thread hoping to see beautiful images. I am always disappointed to find unstyled, unlit and poorly composed images. I imagine those of us that specialize in food images, think that this thread is for sharing well thought through images while Instagram is for those iPhone shots of meals, of which I am guilty of doing.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,362 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 26, 2015 15:18 |  #4648

DonJuanMair wrote in post #17722596 (external link)
I think the thing is with this site and this thread, its a photographers site at heart. Not an instagram page to post you lunch. If you put your work out to the world on here then expect cc.

Just to be clear. I never had an issue with the cc given about my photo. I always appreciate an opinion from someone who has more knowledge and experience. I even explained why I was trying to achieve a certain look. That being said, I have been following this thread for a while. There have been photos posted of bread, sandwiches, fruit, pizza, restaurant dinners and even crackers. So with that in mind, I posted a photo of my "mundane" lunch. So, hopefully no harm no foul here.

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,735 posts
Gallery: 916 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Sep 26, 2015 15:40 |  #4649

My 2 cents: anything can be posted but any bluntly expressed criticism only sheds some light onto the person criticizing that shot. Politeness never hurts no matter what. We are all different with various thresholds of dealing with harsh criticism.

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,880 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 26, 2015 15:44 |  #4650

Dave3222 wrote in post #17722644 (external link)
So, hopefully no harm no foul here.

The harm is that those of us who like to shoot food but aren't pros are discouraged from participating. There's no such stratification in the other subforums I follow. Members who post ordinary subjectless street scenes or blurry shots of birds aren't made to feel unwelcome.

Next time I have a food shot I like, I certainly won't put it in this thread.

sponsored links

1,406,167 views & 3,004 likes for this thread
Post Your Food Photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.