Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Sep 2015 (Saturday) 06:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 16-35 f/4L IS darker when zooming

Faroutandup
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 26, 2015 06:31 |  #1

Hi

My 16-35 f4 IS is consistently much darker at 35 mm than at 16mm.

Does other lenses exhibit this issue, or is my copy a bad copy?

The 16-35 f/2.8 that i sold for this one, did not have this issue and was a constant T value throughout the zoom range.

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,424 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by davesrose.

Sep 26, 2015 06:48 |  #2

I checked my copy (just metering indoors), and no change in EV (unless a little more light gets framed on the 16mm end..then slight bump in t).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 26, 2015 06:51 |  #3

Obviously at f/4 the lens is one stop darker than your original lens was as f/2.8. Are you saying that as you zoom to 35mm the aperture automatically stops down to an even smaller opening?

I'm not entirely clear about what you say is happening. For example, if you are shooting a landscape at 16mm you will take in a lot of "bright" sky but if you zoom in you will narrow that to more landscape which may appear to be darker in your viewfinder, or to your eye. As far as a constant value goes, the aperture will only stay at one point if the camera is in MANUAL mode, or if you have things set for Av. Can you please clarify things more?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Faroutandup
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by Faroutandup. (2 edits in all)

Sep 26, 2015 08:32 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #4

Sure! My Zebras and histograms shows a clear darkening as i zoom in.

For instance, i set my zebras at 70% and have them appear in the clouds. When i zoom in towards 35, the clouds go below the 70% exposure area, and the zebras are no longer visible. This happens gradually. I cant see any "ticks" while the aperture changes, so i dont think the f/4 really changes.

At my computer, i need to lift exposure on zoomed images so that they match the exposure of the 16mm pictures.

Camera is in full manual mode. Nothing is auto.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 26, 2015 09:00 |  #5

Faroutandup wrote in post #17722298 (external link)
Sure! My Zebras and histograms shows a clear darkening as i zoom in.

For instance, i set my zebras at 70% and have them appear in the clouds. When i zoom in towards 35, the clouds go below the 70% exposure area, and the zebras are no longer visible. This happens gradually. I cant see any "ticks" while the aperture changes, so i dont think the f/4 really changes.

At my computer, i need to lift exposure on zoomed images so that they match the exposure of the 16mm pictures.

It sounds then like the meter is being heavily influenced by the brighter clouds/sky. That is a strong factor in your overall exposure. The Zebras are not as bright in EV so naturally they will go "darker" as you zoom in. Everything is functioning as it should. If you want brighter zebras you need to meter more for a darker area of the overall scene.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

davesrose
4,424 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 26, 2015 09:34 |  #6

Yeah, EV is going to change if you re-frame an area that has more light (IE including more sky). My 16-35 has the same EV at any angle if I check in an indoor environment (with equivalent amount of ambient light).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Faroutandup
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by Faroutandup.

Sep 26, 2015 09:38 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #7

I also checked this on a bright spot on a chair in my house. The zebras reveal how the exposure changes when i zoom. Center frame, so no reframing. Its dead center, and its getting very dark.

Or in other words. If i expose properly at 35mm, im burning my image if i zoom out to 16mm. My highlights gets blown out. Mid levers rise. Shadows are too bright. All manual settings. Yet zooming out over exposes the image.

My Canon 24-105 f/4 had the same issue, so i swapped it for a Sigma 24-105 and this does not have this issue.

Faroutandup
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 26, 2015 09:42 |  #8

davesrose wrote in post #17722349 (external link)
Yeah, EV is going to change if you re-frame an area that has more light (IE including more sky). My 16-35 has the same EV at any angle if I check in an indoor environment (with equivalent amount of ambient light).

No, when i set a fixed exposure in manual settings, the highlights should not blow out when zooming out with a fixed aperture lens. So something is very wrong.

EV is irrelevant. The highlights get blown out at 16mm vs. perfect exposure at 35mm. :-(

davesrose
4,424 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 26, 2015 10:31 as a reply to  @ Faroutandup's post |  #9

But if all you do is zoom out, you're recomposing the image. With re-composition there can be a change in how much bright sky (vs dark horizon) the image has. EV does change in that situation.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 26, 2015 10:55 |  #10

IF that is true, & the lens is f/4 & not something like f/4-5.6, then the exposure should not change when the focal length does.

i set my zebras at 70% and have them appear in the clouds.

OTOH, be sure that the clouds are not affecting the overall light falling on the scene. Try using a constant light source & trying the test again.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,074 posts
Gallery: 552 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 26, 2015 10:59 |  #11

davesrose wrote in post #17722390 (external link)
But if all you do is zoom out, you're recomposing the image. With re-composition there can be a change in how much bright sky (vs dark horizon) the image has. EV does change in that situation.

But it's not his meter reading changing that he is complaining about. When he has a manual exposure level set, at 35mm which correctly exposes certain highlight areas when an image is exposed, those SAME highlights are then overexposed when using the same f stop, shutter speed, and ISO to take the image at 16mm.

Saying the above, when the OP says manual mode, that is assuming a full manual mode. If he were using Auto ISO he would no longer be in manual mode, and the camera's metering system would adjust the ISO to compensate. Anyway if the camera were working correctly, with Auto ISO set, it would reduce the ISO value as the metering changes on zooming out, and actually bring down the level of the highlights that were present at 35mm.

In a constant aperture zoom lens, the physical diameter to the aperture opening remains constant as you zoom, just like in a variable aperture zoom. What is different is that the optics are set up so that the apparent size of the aperture is also zoomed optically, maintaining the same apparent f ratio. As this doesn't rely on any mechanical changes to the aperture mechanism to maintain the f ratio, just the movement of the optical elements, I would strongly suspect a serious issue with the lens.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

davesrose
4,424 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 26, 2015 11:04 |  #12

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17722403 (external link)
IF that is true, & the lens is f/4 & not something like f/4-5.6, then the exposure should not change when the focal length does.

Just to clarify for the OP....exposure of the same area shouldn't change when zooming in and out. I've confirmed my 16-35mm f4 lens won't. The meter reading might be changing as total light might change.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

davesrose
4,424 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by davesrose.

Sep 26, 2015 11:06 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #13

The OP says there's more zebras in the entire histogram when zooming in and out. You'd expect the histogram to be different with a different composition. OP needs to be more clear.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

Faroutandup
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by Faroutandup. (2 edits in all)

Sep 26, 2015 12:12 |  #14

davesrose wrote in post #17722414 (external link)
The OP says there's more zebras in the entire histogram when zooming in and out. You'd expect the histogram to be different with a different composition. OP needs to be more clear.

Highlights go from highlights to blown when zooming out.

Blown. Unrecoverable. At 35mm, they look great. At 16, they are blown.

Everything is overexposed at 16mm, when it is correctly exposed at 35.

Like Alan says, something is probably wrong with the lens, because it is not adjusting internally for the zoom.

Zebras and Histogram also shows this increase in exposure when zooming out. Or decrease in exposure when zooming in. Everything gets darker.

Iso: 100
F-stop: anything
Shutter: 50
No filters
No variable light sources.

I can see the effect with my own eyes while zooming in and out. We are talking 1+ stops of change in exposure. Its noticable.

sploo
premature adulation
2,602 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 26, 2015 15:49 |  #15

Faroutandup wrote in post #17722484 (external link)
Highlights go from highlights to blown when zooming out.

Blown. Unrecoverable. At 35mm, they look great. At 16, they are blown.

Everything is overexposed at 16mm, when it is correctly exposed at 35.

Like Alan says, something is probably wrong with the lens, because it is not adjusting internally for the zoom.

Zebras and Histogram also shows this increase in exposure when zooming out. Or decrease in exposure when zooming in. Everything gets darker.

Iso: 100
F-stop: anything
Shutter: 50
No filters
No variable light sources.

I can see the effect with my own eyes while zooming in and out. We are talking 1+ stops of change in exposure. Its noticable.

In theory, if the aperture blades had stuck, such that it was giving you f/8 at 35mm (a 35/8 = 4.375mm aperture) then at 16mm the shot would be 16/4.375 ~= f/4; thus more exposure at 16mm.

However, if you can change the f-stop at 35mm then that would point to the blades being fine.

As noted by others, with everything completely manual/fixed then any objects in the scene should be exposed the same, regardless of the focal length. Could you perhaps post some example shots?

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links

4,881 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EF 16-35 f/4L IS darker when zooming
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.