Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 25 Sep 2015 (Friday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

And now for something completely different ...

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,342 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 25, 2015 13:01 |  #1

Abstract.

I used to goof off with a camera a lot more often and have decided I need to get back to it. This is my first attempt.

Straight out of camera.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 25, 2015 18:16 |  #2

Sunset/rise?

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 26, 2015 06:12 |  #3

Concept of camera movement is interesting...not liking the dark area at lower right...
based on personal experience, abstract is generally not well received on this site.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

bob_r
Goldmember
2,426 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 26, 2015 13:35 |  #4

chauncey wrote in post #17722203 (external link)
...based on personal experience, abstract is generally not well received on this site.

I'm not sure that's true, but it is hard to critique art since it is based on personal taste. If I offered any suggestion, it would simply be because of my taste and not because your image would or could actually be improved by following my suggestion. It may be improved for me, but not necessarily for anyone other than me. Even if I offered a technical suggestion, how would I know whether or not you used that setting to get just the look you wanted? I'm not sure "Critique Corner" actually works for abstract images.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 26, 2015 14:11 |  #5

You're correct in saying that is a matter of personal taste...I kinda believe that those that deal in the abstract
have mastered the basics of photography and are searching for something more or...those that have mastered nothing.

What is interesting is that, if you take screen shots of some images posted herein>apply a ton of blur and distortion tool work...
you can, on occasion, cough out an acceptable image. It disproves the adage of garbage in/garbage out. :lol:

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

bob_r
Goldmember
2,426 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 26, 2015 14:52 |  #6

chauncey wrote in post #17722593 (external link)
You're correct in saying that is a matter of personal taste...I kinda believe that those that deal in the abstract
have mastered the basics of photography and are searching for something more or...those that have mastered nothing.

What is interesting is that, if you take screen shots of some images posted herein>apply a ton of blur and distortion tool work...
you can, on occasion, cough out an acceptable image. It disproves the adage of garbage in/garbage out. :lol:

I think the abstract images would probably get more responses if posted on the "Still Life, B/W & Experimental" thread, since these types of images could be considered experimental.
While the term "critique" would certainly encompass judgements that include artwork, I don't think most photographers visit this thread to offer their opinions on abstract art.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 27, 2015 07:01 |  #7

The speck in the lower third left kills it for an abstract.

-- Image Editing OK --

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 27, 2015 07:11 |  #8

The speck in the lower third left kills it for an abstract.

Sometimes the C&C comments border on the inane/absurd considering it's not a "speck".
Ya get what ya pay for I guess.

Furlan
729 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 27, 2015 08:08 |  #9

chauncey wrote in post #17723277 (external link)
Sometimes the C&C comments border on the inane/absurd considering it's not a "speck".

I had to go back and look for the speck I missed when I saw it it made for a good laugh. As far as
the photo I like it I see it as a flame.

Qbx
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 27, 2015 23:37 |  #10

chauncey wrote in post #17723277 (external link)

So what is it pray tell?

-- Image Editing OK --

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
9,342 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Sep 29, 2015 14:21 |  #11

it's interesting to me that photography seems to be seen as being representational of life as it is. Abstracts are one thing, but when it comes down to it, a large part of what photographers do is tweak reality to fit a certain mold.

model is a little heavy? pose them in a flattering way.
big nose? use a long lens
wrinkles or rough complexion? main light on axis.

frankly, i don't see how one can be comfortable critiquing the artistic merits of a typical posed (or composed) photograph and not be just as comfortable critiquing an abstract photo or even a painting or sculpture. You don't have to have a personal affinity for the work to understand it's artistic merit.

Not suggesting that the above has any artistic merit, but that's what I came to find out.

cheers

Martin Dixon wrote in post #17721774 (external link)
Sunset/rise?

sunset.

Qbx wrote in post #17724322 (external link)
So what is it pray tell?

looks like a speck to me. :D

probably sensor dust. i will have to check it out, and remember to wear my glasses when I'm editing after midnight.

edit: yup, sensor dust. i definitely needed something else to do/worry about.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

cmh512
231 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 01, 2015 11:35 |  #12

You need to straighten the horizon :).

Interesting shot - agree that the bottom right is too dark/heavy. I like the colors.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55 F2-4, 100-400mm.
flickr (external link)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 01, 2015 12:06 |  #13

I just finished decorating a new bathroom and spent hours going over art posters looking for an abstract that had orange, blue and white colors in it. I ended up just buying a blank canvas and making my own. I LOVE what you did here and could totally decorate a room around it. I'd punch up the colors some, but I love the fluidity, the movement the gentle curve, the fade in from one color to the next. I quite like this!!!!

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 01, 2015 12:42 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Well, even sensor dust might have its uses.

Years ago, tinkering with a reversed lens and oil bubbles, I got what appeared to be spots of dust in my camera's sensor:

Big spot on bubble:

IMAGE: http://diamantstudios.ca/Gemeines/bilder/Examples/Reflective_Dust--1.jpg

Big spots on background:

IMAGE: http://diamantstudios.ca/Gemeines/bilder/Examples/Reflective_Dust--2.jpg

I assumed it was dust since the spots were in the same locations in different frames. Then I noticed that the dust seemed to be catching the light from the flashgun and doing funny things with it. Of course, the reflection might have come from elsewhere, but it was there nonetheless.

Even the grooves from the fresnel were shewing:

IMAGE: http://diamantstudios.ca/Gemeines/bilder/Examples/Reflective_Dust--3.jpg

I was annoyed by all that, but I decided against stopping what I was doing to clean the sensor, so I just carried on shooting. In the end, it proved to be a good decision, as I was given one of my favourite abstract photographs:

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8237/8460643130_a41de61df1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dTD1​rq  (external link) Light of a Thousand Suns (external link) by Henry Godnitz (external link), on Flickr

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,912 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Oct 01, 2015 13:04 |  #15

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17721521 (external link)
Abstract.

I used to goof off with a camera a lot more often and have decided I need to get back to it. This is my first attempt.

Straight out of camera.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Left Handed Brisket in
./showthread.php?p=177​21521&i=i35708639
forum: Critique Corner

Hey, Brian!

I agree that you have to get back into it. . For me, abstracts demand creativity on the part of the photographer........yo​u can't get away with just shooting what is there - you have to be creative and have a vision in mind to do abstracts such as this. . And I believe that exercising such creativity helps us with all of our photography.

As far as the image is concerned.........I love it!
I really like the way that the brightest part of the images streaks across the frame - that gives the image a great sense of action and movement. . That streak serves as a great leading line, and I love the fact that the leading line is an arc, and not straight. . Also favorable is the fact that the darkest parts of the images happen to lie in three of the corners; this further directs the eye toward the bright tone streaking thru the frame.

I think this would work equally well as a horizontal (with the dark side on the bottom, of course). It'd display great if printed HUGE and put on a wall that had nothing else on it!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

5,063 views & 13 likes for this thread
And now for something completely different ...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.