Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 10 Sep 2015 (Thursday) 09:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon needs an adventure camera

Subfightersandman
492 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 10, 2015 09:44 |  #1

I may be the only one who would really love something like this, but I think it would be great if canon came out with a camera similar to the canon SL1 but water resistant and a bit tougher they could even skimp on some of the features to keep the cost down, but something like that paired with a efs 24mm prime that could also be water resistant would be amazing. I could take a camera like that rafting, mountain biking, boating excursions, hiking..... I would feel much less worried about it. A lot of times my 70D/40D stay at home when i'm in adventure mode just because I am scared of damaging them.

Maybe something like this exists that I am not aware of if so please enlighten me!

40D, 70D
Tamron 17-50 F 2.8 VC
Canon EF 70-200 F4 L
Canon EF 85mm 1.8
Godox 860C x2
www.roshanakhan.com (external link)

sponsored links
njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 10, 2015 09:51 |  #2

I think Canon needs to step their game up all around! Great studio camera (5DS) but lacking everywhere else. I'm debating on a switch to Sony but I know as soon as I do they'll come out with someone that I love and have been waiting for.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,286 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by MalVeauX.

Sep 10, 2015 09:54 |  #3

Subfightersandman wrote in post #17702116 (external link)
I may be the only one who would really love something like this, but I think it would be great if canon came out with a camera similar to the canon SL1 but water resistant and a bit tougher they could even skimp on some of the features to keep the cost down, but something like that paired with a efs 24mm prime that could also be water resistant would be amazing. I could take a camera like that rafting, mountain biking, boating excursions, hiking..... I would feel much less worried about it. A lot of times my 70D/40D stay at home when i'm in adventure mode just because I am scared of damaging them.

Maybe something like this exists that I am not aware of if so please enlighten me!

Agreed.

Pentax has you covered for this though.

K50 or K5II, with a 50 F1.4 DA* or any other WR/DA* lens is a weather resistant setup.

Or, if you look into the M43 cameras, a GH4 with a small pancake lens can also achieve weather resistance with great IQ.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

WilsonFlyer
693 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 30, 2015 17:56 |  #4

njstacker22 wrote in post #17702124 (external link)
I think Canon needs to step their game up all around! Great studio camera (5DS) but lacking everywhere else. I'm debating on a switch to Sony but I know as soon as I do they'll come out with someone that I love and have been waiting for.

That pretty much sums it all up right there.

tat3406
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Oct 01, 2015 03:08 |  #5

Totally agree. A lot of DSLR users never bring their DSLR when go adventure activity.

6D, 100L,24-70 F4L, 40mm pancake, 70-300L
Carl Zeiss MP 50
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tat3406/ (external link)

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 01, 2015 08:38 |  #6

tat3406 wrote in post #17728588 (external link)
Totally agree. A lot of DSLR users never bring their DSLR when go adventure activity.

I typically will but that's not to stay that I'm constantly nervous about it. I use the PD Capture V2 clip for my 70D when I'm hiking and it works really well but I always have the though "what if I trip" I'm going down straight onto my camera! I've also brought it out kayaking once or twice and that had my heart racing almost the entire time and will most likely never do that again.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,945 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 04, 2015 14:55 |  #7

It's called the 1D, the original DSLR Adventure camera :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 04, 2015 15:21 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Until I recently gave it away, my 'dangerous situation camera' was an Elan 7. Camera, Sunpak AF 5000 flash, and a 28-105 USM cost me about $150 all together. It ain't an underwater setup, but it went out in the rain, boating/rafting in Lake Michigan, tractor pulls, beach days. It never let me down, and was cheap enough to just leave if I dropped it in the water.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,918 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 03, 2015 18:03 |  #9

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17732569 (external link)
It's called the 1D, the original DSLR Adventure camera :)

I agree!
Are you referring to all of the 1D models, or just the first 1D?
If only the first 1D, then what is it that makes the original 1D better for adventuring than its successors?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,170 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 03, 2015 18:09 |  #10

i don't see why you couldn't take your 40D on most of those excursions you mentioned...rafting is the main one i think would be questionable...but everything else a 40D, an an ef-s 24mm would be fine

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,945 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 03, 2015 19:13 |  #11

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17771267 (external link)
I agree!
Are you referring to all of the 1D models, or just the first 1D?
If only the first 1D, then what is it that makes the original 1D better for adventuring than its successors?

I did mean the entire 1D series.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,060 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 03, 2015 19:34 |  #12

1DIII user here, Take it everywhere i go, no issue with dust, rain or snow so far!

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

sponsored links

3,248 views & 5 likes for this thread
Canon needs an adventure camera
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.