Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 30 Sep 2015 (Wednesday) 06:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Version 1.4 installed: Changelog

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 02, 2015 07:43 |  #91
bannedPermanent ban

Pekka wrote in post #17729843 (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net ….php?show=threa​ds_visited is a top 1000 list of

threads you have visited
threads you follow
your own threads

combined, ordered by the last visited on top.

"Threads you have visited" is actually the list that read-marking uses for threads you do not follow or own. If you'd clear those, the threads would get back to "bold" in all thread listings.

So, the issue I have is that if you mark a thread as "not visited", should it still show somehow that you have viewed it e.g. by accident so you won't click it again? Or is just "reset" of the read status (back to bold) enough?

Coding is easy, what the code should specifically do is not always so clear.

See above for what the list is about.

If you want to know what threads you have clicked earlier and not guess about it, then visited threads must be stored so that thread listings can make that apparent for you. If all the threads you visit would stay always in bold and you would always need to find the next unread page manually, that would be one more issue you would complain about.

The page "visited threads" in FYEO just shows an overview of all the threads you have accessed. I find it very useful, for example if I browse with an iPad and see a thread I like to read more, I do not have to remember it when I browse on my PC few hours later. Other option would be that you bookmark it to a cloud, hardly an easier option.

The thing I would like to see is just threads I've posted or started, I don't like the info overflow, lol

sponsored links
JWdlft
317 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 02, 2015 08:25 |  #92

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #17729957 (external link)
The thing I would like to see is just threads I've posted or started, I don't like the info overflow, lol

Do you mean your home page, the black/green button top right of every screen, with all your latest threads and latest posts?

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,473 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 02, 2015 13:11 |  #93

Pekka wrote in post #17729843 (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net ….php?show=threa​ds_visited is a top 1000 list of

threads you have visited
threads you follow
your own threads

combined, ordered by the last visited on top.

"Threads you have visited" is actually the list that read-marking uses for threads you do not follow or own. If you'd clear those, the threads would get back to "bold" in all thread listings.

So, the issue I have is that if you mark a thread as "not visited", should it still show somehow that you have viewed it e.g. by accident so you won't click it again? Or is just "reset" of the read status (back to bold) enough?

Coding is easy, what the code should specifically do is not always so clear.

I wasn't talking about the FYEO entries. My problem is with Visited Threads in New Posts. I'm still confused as it is by all the different texts (I have accepted that I am simply too stupid to understand it) and visited threads are adding to it. I don't know about other people but I would have no problem if a visited thread is not registered as such (and thus bold) in New Posts. For me only my Followed and Own threads are of importance and new threads of course.

Maybe I will click a previously visited thread again, forgetting that I clicked it before. So what? The fact that it shows that it is a visited thread won't make me remember what that thread was about anyway. The fact that I didn't want to follow it indicates (to me anyway) that it was not very interesting to me so why would I want taps on it and go to the first unseen or unread? The good thing is we now have the text hover thingy so we can take a peek without actually opening a thread and that is usually enough to think "oh yeah, it was about that" and leave.

Speaking of the entries in FYEO, I find them rather odd. There are three of them: Followed Threads, Own Threads and Visited Threads. It would be logical if they were separate entities, but they are not. Meaning that Visited Threads also include all Followed Threads and Own Threads. That makes little sense to me. How about making those three really separate. That way we could clear Visited Threads with one mouse click whilst leaving Followed and Own threads alone.

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17729813 (external link)
Yes, I too would love to get rid of that. Especially in New Posts it muddles up the list. I never understood why visited threads are listed anyway. I mean, the fact that I decided not to follow it should be indication that I'm not in fact interested in keeping tabs on it.

See above for what the list is about.

If you want to know what threads you have clicked earlier and not guess about it, then visited threads must be stored so that thread listings can make that apparent for you. If all the threads you visit would stay always in bold and you would always need to find the next unread page manually, that would be one more issue you would complain about.

The page "visited threads" in FYEO just shows an overview of all the threads you have accessed. I find it very useful, for example if I browse with an iPad and see a thread I like to read more, I do not have to remember it when I browse on my PC few hours later. Other option would be that you bookmark it to a cloud, hardly an easier option.

I personally have no use for Visited Threads whatsoever, but fair enough. All I ask is you think about my suggestion for the FYEO entries. If it can be coded, it would solve the problem in an elegant way I think.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

OhLook
you get what you get
19,250 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 02, 2015 13:58 |  #94

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17730279 (external link)
I wasn't talking about the FYEO entries. My problem is with Visited Threads in New Posts.

Where are you looking? When I open New Posts from a link at the top or bottom of a page, there's no separate list of visited threads. Threads visited and not visited are listed together. The presence or absence of "go to first unread" identifies visited threads, the same as on a forum page.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

daverator
My title stinks!
2,073 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Oct 02, 2015 21:18 |  #95

I'm a member of several forums, this is by far the easiest to navigate, especially when it comes to lengthy threads I have visited before. Other forums you have to open the thread and find last viewed thread yourself. Here its like magic, open the thread and presto! You're at the last entry where you left off. Pecca has done a million little and big things to make this sight work so well. Thanks for all the hard work!

Dave
7D gripped l T3i gripped | EFS-IS 18-55mm | EFS-IS II 55-250mm | EF 50mm 1.8 II l Tamron 150-600mm | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 vc

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 03, 2015 19:11 |  #96

Regarding cookie consent:

Pekka wrote in post #17727967 (external link)
Yes they are required. One click and you're good for a year..

Oddly enough, I'm seeing the AMASS_cookieconsent cookie with an expiration date of 03 Oct 2075. Does that mean we have to agree to the cookie policy every 60 years?

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,247 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 03, 2015 23:29 |  #97

Thanks for the new version Pekka. I like most of the new tools. Spot-on! However I did like the old like system better and I preferred the gallery thumbnails in the left margin.

Mark

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
18,473 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 04, 2015 03:56 |  #98

What I don't like about this version is how comment-related things have all been moved away from the comment, such as:

- the LIKE button has been moved to a different section of the area and I just realised that I don't notice that info any more because my eyes aren't there when reading comments. It may affect my LIKING behaviour too, too early to tell yet.

- the editing info has now been moved to the user info section! That's just weird. That info should be underneath the comment and has no business being in the user info window as they're different entities. It's illogical.

I also agree with Mark about the gallery thumbnails. I think with them being on the far right now, they will get forgotten as one's eyes are focused on the left of the page where the titles of threads are. I don't understand the reasons for the move as people who don't want them can turn them off already. I very much prefer the more prominent view on the left where I can't miss them and often click on them. I haven't clicked one since the new version because I forget to look at them. I think that's a pity especially since they are there to generate more attention for people's images.

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 04, 2015 09:59 |  #99

Traci_Ann wrote in post #17727649 (external link)

I either don't understand the new 'Thread Click Link' or it isn't working correctly. It's likely me. ;-)a

The way I read this if I have 'Page 1 of Thread' selected the title of a thread will take me to page 1 and the 'go to first unread' will do just that, take me to the first unread post. What it's doing for me, with 'Page 1 of Thread' selected both the title and 'go to first unread' will take me to page one and with 'First New Post in Thread' select both take me to the new posts. Hopefully I was clear enough.

I am also seeing this issue. Under FYEO, Thread Click Link, selecting "Page 1 of Thread" seems to make both the thread title link and the "go to first unread" link take me to the first page of the thread. I expect the "go to first unread" link to still take me to the first unread post in the thread.

(I didn't see a response above - sorry if I missed it)

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,589 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 04, 2015 11:26 |  #100

lar55 wrote in post #17732236 (external link)
I am also seeing this issue. Under FYEO, Thread Click Link, selecting "Page 1 of Thread" seems to make both the thread title link and the "go to first unread" link take me to the first page of the thread. I expect the "go to first unread" link to still take me to the first unread post in the thread.

I don't think there was a response, or I also missed it.

Sevas Tra

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,407 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 04, 2015 11:41 |  #101

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #17729957 (external link)

Click on your own username, just above your avatar. :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)
-EOS 1DX 2 For Sale- $2,950.00

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
18,473 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 04, 2015 14:00 |  #102

I just love the Pick from Gallery option and I love how it is implemented. It's so wonderful that I have to sit on my hands not to insert all my images here... :-P

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
18,473 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 04, 2015 16:01 |  #103

I thought it was okay for the time stamp to be in the upper right corner, that it was just a matter of getting used to it being there now, but it turns out that it's inconvenient. I just looked at a long post with lots of images and wanted to see when it was posted. Instead of it being right there, at the end of the post, I now had to go all the way back to the top. That's not handy.

OhLook
you get what you get
19,250 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 04, 2015 16:07 |  #104

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17732665 (external link)
I just looked at a long post with lots of images and wanted to see when it was posted. Instead of it being right there, at the end of the post, I now had to go all the way back to the top. That's not handy.

It's true that time-at-top works better for a discussion thread than for a multiple-image thread, but we can't have it both ways. I'm cultivating a habit of looking at the timestamp when I come to a post, if recency makes a difference in the kind of thread it is.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,818 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Oct 04, 2015 16:30 |  #105

lar55 wrote in post #17732236 (external link)
Traci_Ann wrote in post #17727649 (external link)

I either don't understand the new 'Thread Click Link' or it isn't working correctly. It's likely me. ;-)a

The way I read this if I have 'Page 1 of Thread' selected the title of a thread will take me to page 1 and the 'go to first unread' will do just that, take me to the first unread post. What it's doing for me, with 'Page 1 of Thread' selected both the title and 'go to first unread' will take me to page one and with 'First New Post in Thread' select both take me to the new posts. Hopefully I was clear enough.

Sorry for slow response.

I'll check it out.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links

26,845 views & 51 likes for this thread
Version 1.4 installed: Changelog
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.