Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Oct 2015 (Saturday) 18:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Services/price page - yes or no.

TETRAGRAMATON
117 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 03, 2015 18:13 |  #1

Hi guys,

I'm wondering over an option if to create services page on my website where to list services and some sort of guide to pricing, for more standard photography.
I'm asking this because I've noticed lots of photographers they do not have such page, but maybe they may be working for agencies or something like that. On the other hand, from SEO point of view I think it will be really helpful creating such page as it could be a very good platform to accommodate some text, which on photographers website is sort of deficit.
Thanks,
Nikolay.

London professional Portrait and Headshot photographer (external link)

sponsored links
EnglishBob
555 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 03, 2015 18:18 |  #2

If you just put the price out there, you have no chance to communicate with the prospective client and build value. I much prefer to have them contact me so I can sell them on value and build rapport.

Gallery (external link) MyGear (external link) About Me (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 03, 2015 18:27 |  #3

Who's your target audience?

High school seniors? Sure, having a few pricing options helps them establish if they can afford you.
Weddings? Again, having a few packages as 'ideas' so they know if you fall into their budget isn't a bad idea.
Head shots for actors / realtors / etc? Sure, most of these types of buyers are very price conscious.

If you shoot anything outside of those 3, having a standard price list could corner you on negotiations.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 03, 2015 19:21 |  #4

Pricing on there is a good idea.

You want to focus on clients who will be booking with you. You don't want to be wasting time with people who cannot afford you. Pricing on your site shows you price range and in most cases it will prevent clients whose budget falls below that from contacting you and taking time away from doing other things.

It might just be me though, I don't have much time to devote to clients at this time, so I'd prefer to put my effort into getting clients whose budgets fall into my pricing, instead of having to respond to a bunch of emails asking if I'll do an all day wedding for $200.

Sure, you might get the odd client to book with you when you are above their budget, but chances are you are not going to convince someone whose budget is $500 for a wedding, that they should spend $3500 on it instead, just because they called you to inquire about pricing.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 03, 2015 21:04 |  #5

We do weddings and have pricing on our website. That away when someone contacts us we already know they can afford at least out cheapest package. Why waste time talking to people that can not afford you.

We also have a boudoir company again we list prices and packages for the exact same reason.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 03, 2015 21:12 |  #6

Depends on your genre. I've always had pricing on mine for domestic genre work.

Peter

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 03, 2015 22:32 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Me, as a possible client...if I don't see some pricing guidelines on a site...I go onto another site. I don't have the time to phone or e-mail the photog just to learn they are not within my price range.

When you go onto the b&h site...are you happy to see their prices?

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 04, 2015 00:34 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #8

Nothing peeves me off like shopping online and seeing an item say, "add to cart to see price".

AceCo55
261 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by AceCo55.

Oct 04, 2015 06:52 |  #9

the flying moose wrote in post #17731902 (external link)
Nothing peeves me off like shopping online and seeing an item say, "add to cart to see price".

+1 ^ ... or "email us for a quote" vmad

Woohoo - just realised that was my 100th post.
Now I'm annoyed I didn't say something more monumental ... :lol:

From the "Land Down Under" ... South Australia

s1a1om
509 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 04, 2015 09:01 |  #10

I think it depends how good you are and what your prices are.

Are most of your clients other purchases of the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" level, or are they more down to earth?

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

TETRAGRAMATON
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 04, 2015 12:40 |  #11

Thanks for the feedback guys.
It seems like I will go with creating such page. I'm still in the stage where I take on almost any jobs like events, portrait, commercial etc. So for this sort of photography is quite strait forward in term of equipment used for the job, time and post processing, so it is sort of easy to define some sort of package. I guess if I reach a point where I will be doing only advertising and some high profile portraits, perhaps through an agency, then the price/packages option won't be very appropriate. Costumers here in UK, at least in my experience, do not appreciate photography as business, everyone who eventually will get in touch says that don't have much money to spend. It is some sort of carnage here, that is why I was hoping if I create some packages orientated to some sort of industry standard prices for an area such as London, it may help me connect with the sort of customers who like to see the exact thing.
Now for advertising, or photography where there may be some more creativity and equipment involve, also location or probes etc. there will be the need of getting in touch with me for quote.

London professional Portrait and Headshot photographer (external link)

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 04, 2015 18:34 |  #12

the flying moose wrote in post #17731902 (external link)

That is a way around MAP (minimum advertised pricing) that manufacturers and distributors sometimes require. You may be missing a lower than MSR price by not checking.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,912 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Oct 05, 2015 11:47 |  #13

AceCo55 wrote in post #17732106 (external link)
+1 ^ ... or "email us for a quote" vmad

Woohoo - just realised that was my 100th post.
Now I'm annoyed I didn't say something more monumental ... :lol:

That there is some serious Title Fairy material!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

trailboss
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Oct 06, 2015 19:29 |  #14

[QUOTE=Hogloff;1773183​7]Me, as a possible client...if I don't see some pricing guidelines on a site...I go onto another site. I don't have the time to phone or e-mail the photog just to learn they are not within my price range....QUOTE]

Same here. You could at least say something "prices vary with client's desired scope but base package usually starts around $xxx."

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 07, 2015 09:51 |  #15

I think it boils down to knowing what type of clients you expect to attract.

Most private/retail clients will expect to see a pricing page.

If your work (and reputation?) are of the caliber that you're already attracting high-end retail clients who will pay whatever you want to charge, then you can probably skip it.

If your work is of average quality, then a pricing page will at least weed out lowballers who want you to do a full-day wedding for $200.

If your clients are mostly commercial, not retail, then you might be able to skip a pricing page.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links

5,698 views & 25 likes for this thread
Services/price page - yes or no.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.