Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 03 Oct 2015 (Saturday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Seeking help

yamatama
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 03, 2015 13:54 |  #1

So I want to upgrade my 2012 2.5ghz Core i5 16gb 500gb 5400rpm HD mac mini witch is my workhorse for editing all these years. Ive only use it for LR and PS but I want to integrate a little video editing into the mix. Honestly Im not a Computer savy.. far from it and thats why Im seeking for your help. I have the opportunity to purchase this Imac for $1,700 brand new. I know the monitor is a huuuge upgrade from my dell u2412 but it may be a downgrade on the other specs.

http://www.amazon.com …8&sr=8-2&keywords=imac+5k (external link)

Many people say I can build my own PC but I wouldn't even know where to start.. Im open for suggestions but like (mac or pc.. preferably mac). My budget is $1800 so any suggestions will be considered.

Thanks in advance

Nikon D750, 35 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G
My website www.williamdelacruz.co​m (external link)
FB like page https://www.facebook.c​om/WilliamDeLaCruzPhot​o (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,965 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 03, 2015 14:59 |  #2

My 2011 i7 2600K PC is only 25% slower than the current fastest on offer - CPU speed hasn't increased much. If you put in an SSD (something like this (external link), 250GB) it will feel much faster. Not sure if you can add a video card or not, that can apparently help for video. But that one SSD change will make the whole thing feel heaps faster.

You'll have to research if it's possible to put an SSD into that model of mac mini. other world computing / owc is a good resource.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bleufire.

Oct 03, 2015 15:08 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #3

To add to what tim said, you can also goto Crucial.com and they have a model input on what you can stuff into it in terms of RAM and SSD/HDD.

Goto iFixit.com and look up your model to see "the how to" for instructions on upgrades to determine if it it within your capabilities.

I will say this, if you can open up a Mac Mini and upgrade a component in it, you can build your own PC. I did a mac mini upgrade with RAM once years ago on a C2D (or earlier, i don't remember which) and that was fun. everything is so neatly packed in there yet if you are careless dressing it back in place it won't exactly close all the way. lol.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,965 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 03, 2015 17:28 |  #4

Building a PC is a bit more difficult. I've built all my PCs in the past 10 years, some of the things I find challenging are:
- Mounting heatsinks - horrible job!
- Routing cables - my PCs look like a birdsnest sometimes, though I've gotten better (I have 6 drives or so). Sometimes cables are too short, sometimes way too long.
- Faulty parts. I've had one faulty motherboard and one case with a faulty power button - that only took me 5 minutes to diagnose with my background (screwdriver across the right jumper), but could be really tricky if you don't have a computer/electronics background
- Incompatibilities - not everything works together perfectly, though most things do

But I think with a little persistence and access to Google/Youtube anyone can build a PC. Antistatic precautions are recommended.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,198 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Oct 03, 2015 20:00 |  #5

yamatama wrote in post #17731374 (external link)
I'm open for suggestions but like (mac or pc.. preferably mac). My budget is $1800 so any suggestions will be considered.

Your budget is quite reasonable; you can get a really, really good iMac for that figure.
Here's where I would look:
http://www.apple.com …ome/specialdeal​s/mac/imac (external link)

Adding memory is cheap; if the computer you want doesn't come with much memory, you can get very inexpensive aftermarket memory after you get the computer and add it yourself (youtube videos show you how) very easily.

I suggest calling Apple and talking to a rep about your needs. The rep I worked with was very forthright and helped me get my iMac from Apple for a few hundred less than I would have been able to get it for otherwise.

You may want to check out this recent thread that I started:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1440761

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

tim
Light Bringer
50,965 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 03, 2015 23:15 |  #6

I think Apple are starting to make it more difficult to add things to your iMac, even RAM. Not 100% sure and not sure about models, but check that before you buy. Soldering memory in for example may make it more reliable, but makes upgrading more difficult.

Here's an example configuration (external link) for $1670. Windows 10, i7 processor, 8GB RAM (add $70 for 16GB), good video card for video, 250GB SSD (I'd upgrade to the 850 pro for $47), plus the regular stuff like case and PSU. Keep your existing monitor and hard drives. For $1770 you have a great machine. If you build it yourself I imagine you'll save hundreds, but not sure how many hundreds.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,198 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 04, 2015 01:28 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17731702 (external link)
Adding memory is cheap; if the computer you want doesn't come with much memory, you can get very inexpensive aftermarket memory after you get the computer and add it yourself (youtube videos show you how) very easily.

tim wrote in post #17731854 (external link)
I think Apple are starting to make it more difficult to add things to your iMac, even RAM. Not 100% sure and not sure about models, but check that before you buy. Soldering memory in for example may make it more reliable, but makes upgrading more difficult.

The information I posted earlier is accurate. My Apple rep said not to pay for higher memory because you can get it cheaper and install it yourself in, literally, a minute or two. He said this is true for all iMacs.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 04, 2015 01:55 |  #8

I found building PC's very therapeutic and satisfying. Mounting heatsinks sucks but if you look at AIO coolers it is a LOT easier. Cable routing can be done very easily depending on the case you chose.
I have finished building my pc recently and now working on a new build for a friend.
Here is a pic of my setup (about to change my GPU tomorrow)

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/432/20022886739_d7de42b092_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/wvmw​Da  (external link) _D3_2213 (external link) by Geoff Palmer (external link), on Flickr

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

tim
Light Bringer
50,965 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 04, 2015 03:04 |  #9

That's crazy tidy! I'll take a photo of my computer next time it's open, totally different. Though I only realised you could run cables under the motherboard after...

urbanfreestyle
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 04, 2015 03:09 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #10

NOOO!!! Dont run them UNDER the motherboard EVER! lol. can cause issues.
this is the back of my case for reference (where the real mess is....

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/384/20046063730_7d6e6361b1_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/wxpj​ms  (external link) IMG_20150722_191106 (external link) by Geoff Palmer (external link), on Flickr

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 04, 2015 07:47 |  #11

Wow thanks a lot for all the valuable information! Ive learned so much about computer parts in the last couple of days its crazy! I think building my own PC would be a personal project I will look up to in a near future. As of now I think Im better off buying some built PC or Mac and doing simple upgrades like RAM and SSD. Im a wedding photographer, so I would be happy just to have LR and PS running smoothly (wich my mac mini does OK, not great but OK). Unfortunately I cant add a video card so thats why Im looking for some options. I dont do gaming and barely do web browsing (that I do with the Ipad). I do want some good resolution, thats why Im considering the imac because I saw it in person and was blown away, but like I said in my first post it may not handle the tasks Im after (correct me if Im wrong). Maybe buy it and do some upgrades?

PS. sorry for my bad english :p

urbanfreestyle
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 04, 2015 07:59 as a reply to  @ yamatama's post |  #12

no problem, bare in mind that if you play with a mac in a store, check the specs match what it says on the ticket by clicking the apple in the top left and clicking about this mac. In my local store they have the basic model price but the top spec mac on display.

Also as you add photos to your LR catalog it will slow down.

SSD makes a massive difference. I have just bought a new SSD so that i can have it as a scratch disk and have my photos i'm currently editing on my main SSD. Older photos are stored on my platter drives.

Facebook (external link)

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 04, 2015 08:27 as a reply to  @ urbanfreestyle's post |  #13

An SSD would be fantastic.. just saw a tutorial on how to upgrade it into the imac and I dont think I have the guts to do it... crap :-P

urbanfreestyle
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 04, 2015 08:29 as a reply to  @ yamatama's post |  #14

i did upgrade of SSD on Mac mini and made a MASSIVE difference.

Facebook (external link)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 04, 2015 10:52 |  #15

tim wrote in post #17731553 (external link)
Building a PC is a bit more difficult. I've built all my PCs in the past 10 years, some of the things I find challenging are:
- Mounting heatsinks - horrible job!
- Routing cables - my PCs look like a birdsnest sometimes, though I've gotten better (I have 6 drives or so). Sometimes cables are too short, sometimes way too long.
- Faulty parts. I've had one faulty motherboard and one case with a faulty power button - that only took me 5 minutes to diagnose with my background (screwdriver across the right jumper), but could be really tricky if you don't have a computer/electronics background
- Incompatibilities - not everything works together perfectly, though most things do

But I think with a little persistence and access to Google/Youtube anyone can build a PC. Antistatic precautions are recommended.

Re your comment "Mounting heatsinks - horrible job!"
My friend asked me to help hIm build a pc, that was the part I was worried about.
Can you elaborate ?
He bought a Noctua NH-D15 Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler with two NH-A15 Fans £78, their instructions say just put a blob the size of a pea in the middle and press down. Would have helped if they said the diameter of the pea!
Big garden peas 9mm dism, small petit pois say 4mm - thats a big difference in quantity. And I'm imagining it all squdging out at the sides or not distributing itself properly and therefore being ineffective!

Any advice welcome - before we totally mess it up.
Does it come off easily if we do etc.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links

3,789 views & 11 likes for this thread
Seeking help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.