Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Oct 2015 (Thursday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

All about Flashes

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 04, 2015 00:12 |  #16

studio460 wrote in post #17731595 (external link)
For on-the-go event shooting, I really like old Quantum Qflashes to supplement any on-camera Speedlight(s) you may also be using. I power mine using older-model, high-voltage Quantum Turbo batteries (re-celled). They use sealed-lead acid batteries (SLAs are cheap and last for years), and are dirt-cheap to re-cell yourself, unlike newer-model Ni-Mh and Li-ion Quantum batteries.

BRAVO that you can see thru the marketing BS they expect us to swallow today. I hate how modern variable FL zoom heads make it seem like flash units are so powerful, yet in reality they are not

1. 600EX-RT has 50mm coverage angle GN = 138
  2. Metz 45CL has 30mm coverage angle GN = 148
  3. Quantum T5dR has 50mm coverage angle GN = 160

#2 has a higher GN than #1 and covers a wider area with light while doing that!
#3 has higher GN at same coverage angle as #1

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 04, 2015 01:32 |  #17

studio460 wrote in post #17731624 (external link)
Here's another shoot where I packed only a minimal kit: I only brought three Nikon SB-800s/PocketWizard TT5s, and two Westcott umbrellas. I set up this impromptu backstage lighting set-up using two SB-800s, one shoot-through umbrella, and one soft-silver umbrella:

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

hmmm.. JR D Angeles and Nylon Pink.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

studio460
97 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by studio460. (2 edits in all)

Oct 04, 2015 02:30 |  #18

PhilF wrote in post #17731959 (external link)
hmmm.. JR D Angeles and Nylon Pink.

Yes! That's JR and Kiki, from Nylon Pink.

LEARN LIGHT LIGHTBASICS.COM (external link)

studio460
97 posts
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by studio460.

Oct 04, 2015 02:43 |  #19

Wilt wrote in post #17731890 (external link)
BRAVO that you can see thru the marketing BS they expect us to swallow today. I hate how modern variable FL zoom heads make it seem like flash units are so powerful, yet in reality they are not . . .

Yes, I love my Quantum Qflashes and Quantum Turbo batteries. I wish I had more of 'em, but apparently people are getting wise to how well these things perform, so unfortunately, their eBay prices keep trending upwards.

studio460
97 posts
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by studio460. (3 edits in all)

Oct 04, 2015 05:44 |  #20

Lately, I've been assembling more pole-mount rigs, continually searching for lighter, better, more mobile solutions. Here's a BTS shot of my old pole-mount rig: A Nikon SB-800 + PocketWizard TT5 + Quantum Turbo inside a 3' Profoto octa on a Lastolite pole.

IMAGE: http://studio460.com/images/profotopole-700-C.png

That lit the shot below: Speedlight was gelled with CTO, and the camera was manually dialed to 2,500-degrees Kelvin.

IMAGE: http://studio460.com/images/tatiana-blue-1-700-C.png

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Oct 04, 2015 12:10 |  #21

studio460 wrote in post #17731988 (external link)
Yes, I love my Quantum Qflashes and Quantum Turbo batteries. I wish I had more of 'em, but apparently people are getting wise to how well these things perform, so unfortunately, their eBay prices keep trending upwards.

A few years ago, I bought an old Turbo pack at an auction for a song, spent $20 to install a new SLA in it, and sold it for a gain. I hate how the new Quantums take the NiMH batteries that give out faster than the old SLA...I replaced my SLA in my own unit after about 10-11 years!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

studio460
97 posts
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by studio460. (2 edits in all)

Oct 04, 2015 17:34 |  #22

Wilt wrote in post #17732380 (external link)
. . . I replaced my SLA in my own unit after about 10-11 years!

Yup! I bought my first Quantum Turbo brand new in the early 1990s, then, more recently, acquired three more on eBay. My original Turbo has gone through two replacement batteries since, and still recycles like new!

Here's a brief photo-illustrated tutorial I wrote on my personal blog on how to replace your Quantum Turbo battery (including the battery specifications): http://lightbasics.com …for-less-than-20-dollars/ (external link)

mylifeis3
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 05, 2015 12:16 |  #23

Wow!!! Amazing responses, thank you!

So I have my 300-series speedlight. And it's definitely not enough light. Seeing such responses, I understand that I need to read up a lot about flashes.

What's a good place to start to familiarize myself with the various types of technology? Ideally, I'd like to end up with a master/slave flash combo, so I can use in my tiny studio but also bring to functions like bdays, medium-sized weddings, etc.

Thanks!!!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,190 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 05, 2015 12:33 |  #24

mylifeis3 wrote in post #17733729 (external link)

So I have my 300-series speedlight. And it's definitely not enough light. Seeing such responses, I understand that I need to read up a lot about flashes.

What's a good place to start to familiarize myself with the various types of technology? Ideally, I'd like to end up with a master/slave flash combo, so I can use in my tiny studio but also bring to functions like bdays, medium-sized weddings, etc.

Thanks!!!

Strobist.com. Neil van niekerks tangents blog.

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,837 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 05, 2015 13:10 |  #25

I have four Godox 860's, and one 430 EX II. I have five 622C's and a 622TX.

I started a thread on carrying options for my speedlights, but nobody seemed interested: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1439579 although it has a good pic of my 5 lights in a hard-side carry case.

My next lighting purchase will be the Rovelight CL 600

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

studio460
97 posts
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by studio460.

Oct 06, 2015 04:12 |  #26

mylifeis3 wrote in post #17733729 (external link)

Thanks!!!

There are several ways you can go, but I always think you learn fastest by doing. Don't worry about getting the best gear now if you're just starting out or have a limited budget. You could buy an inexpensive studio strobe like this Westcott (external link) plus an import-brand, 5' octa-shaped softbox for only about $300. And don't feel hampered by the idea of only owning one strobe at first, because a single large source can go a long way just on its own, both as a teaching tool and as an essential component of your portraiture kit.

If you want to begin investing in a system, I would recommend one of the entry-level Elinchrom D-Lite series studio strobes with built-in RF triggers. An Ellinchrom D-Lite RX2 (external link) is more than enough for interior portraits, and buys you the interoperability of Elinchrom's entire line of lightweight modifiers and accessories. While this costs a bit more than the Westcott, you get a unit with a far better feature set, plus it still costs less than a top-line Nikon or Canon Speedlight.

If you're interested in Speedlights, you could opt for any of the import brands, or buy a pile of used Vivitar 283s. As TTL units gained popularity, these once-$150+ flash units dropped to only $39 brand new (now discontinued), and offered the best bang for the buck in a hot-shoe flash. If you go with the 283s, be sure to also get the Vari-Power plug-in modules for them. They won't have TTL capability, but with the Vari-Power module, you can adjust their output manually (a great way to learn). Then all you'd need is a few inexpensive triggers (e.g., Interfit, Cactus, etc.), or even just opt for some $10 optical triggers. Buy what you can afford now, and just start shooting!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,190 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 06, 2015 07:51 |  #27

studio460 wrote in post #17734835 (external link)
There are several ways you can go, but I always think you learn fastest by doing. Don't worry about getting the best gear now if you're just starting out or have a limited budget. You could buy an inexpensive studio strobe like this Westcott (external link) plus an import-brand, 5' octa-shaped softbox for only about $300. And don't feel hampered by the idea of only owning one strobe at first, because a single large source can go a long way just on its own, both as a teaching tool and as an essential component of your portraiture kit.

If you want to begin investing in a system, I would recommend one of the entry-level Elinchrom D-Lite series studio strobes with built-in RF triggers. An Ellinchrom D-Lite RX2 (external link) is more than enough for interior portraits, and buys you the interoperability of Elinchrom's entire line of lightweight modifiers and accessories. While this costs a bit more than the Westcott, you get a unit with a far better feature set, plus it still costs less than a top-line Nikon or Canon Speedlight.

If you're interested in Speedlights, you could opt for any of the import brands, or buy a pile of used Vivitar 283s. As TTL units gained popularity, these once-$150+ flash units dropped to only $39 brand new (now discontinued), and offered the best bang for the buck in a hot-shoe flash. If you go with the 283s, be sure to also get the Vari-Power plug-in modules for them. They won't have TTL capability, but with the Vari-Power module, you can adjust their output manually (a great way to learn). Then all you'd need is a few inexpensive triggers (e.g., Interfit, Cactus, etc.), or even just opt for some $10 optical triggers. Buy what you can afford now, and just start shooting!

The vivitar 283 or 285 are not particularly battery efficient. It would be better to purchase a modern budget flash like the yn560 that has more efficient capacitors and better power controls for slightly more.

studio460
97 posts
Joined May 2015

Oct 06, 2015 18:20 |  #28

gonzogolf wrote in post #17734958 (external link)
The vivitar 283 or 285 are not particularly battery efficient. It would be better to purchase a modern budget flash like the yn560 that has more efficient capacitors and better power controls for slightly more.

Not to mention the high-voltage sync of the older 283s which can damage modern DSLRs. Yes, you're probably better off with a new import brand (e.g., YongNuo, Godox, Bower, Flashpoint, etc.), with all the newest features built-in. I haven't used any of these brands myself, but they seem to work well for others.

mylifeis3
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 08, 2015 13:23 |  #29

Thank you all for your responses!

I am looking at the yn560 and the other suggested brand, hopefully I can learn more to understand the available technology better. The Vivitar 283s may be too little light for me, I'd like to get a stronger light source, so I can take it to events and weddings and only have the master and slave flashes.

I can't figure out what TTL means... any insight please and thank you?

I have a continuous light softbox in my tiny studio, it's just not enough light. There's no room to add a secondary one. I work with newborns, so yes it gets hot, but eliminates the need to get a heater :) So I'd like to use the slave flash with an umbrella, clip it to my stand of props and see how I can better light my subjects.

Also wondering... when I'm buying a used flash, what should I keep in mind? Are bulbs expensive to replace if the seller used it so much it'll die on me a few shots later? And is there a good online source to buy flashes?

mylifeis3
THREAD ­ STARTER
65 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Oct 08, 2015 13:23 as a reply to  @ studio460's post |  #30

Gorgeous shot! I love it!

sponsored links

8,451 views & 3 likes for this thread
All about Flashes
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.