Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 03 Oct 2015 (Saturday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Seeking help

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 04, 2015 11:02 as a reply to  @ post 17732278 |  #16

I generally use a smaller amount, less than an 8mm bb similar to a grain of rice (i would recommend looking at Arborio risotto rice)

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

sponsored links
-dave-m-
490 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 04, 2015 13:00 |  #17

Submariner wrote in post #17732278 (external link)
Re your comment "Mounting heatsinks - horrible job!"
My friend asked me to help hIm build a pc, that was the part I was worried about.
Can you elaborate ?
He bought a Noctua NH-D15 Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler with two NH-A15 Fans £78, their instructions say just put a blob the size of a pea in the middle and press down. Would have helped if they said the diameter of the pea!
Big garden peas 9mm dism, small petit pois say 4mm - thats a big difference in quantity. And I'm imagining it all squdging out at the sides or not distributing itself properly and therefore being ineffective!

Any advice welcome - before we totally mess it up.
Does it come off easily if we do etc.

The size of the "blob" would depend on the physical size of the cpu you are using. Socket 2011 cpu's are much larger and require more paste than a 115X processor. Personally I don't use the pea method, I apply many small dots until the die is basically covered. You are just looking to make a thin film, evenly covering the die, pressure from attaching the heatsink will cause any excess to squeeze out.

There are many good videos on youtube showing how to apply paste and install heatsinks/waterblocks. Just be aware people who have mounted many heatsinks develop a method they like for applying paste, the end result is what matters, not the path getting there.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

urbanfreestyle
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 04, 2015 14:53 as a reply to  @ -dave-m-'s post |  #18

Just make sure you Dont add too much as it can act as an insulator. Alternatively just be a wuss and use a thermal pad haha!

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

tim
Light Bringer
50,965 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 04, 2015 22:53 |  #19

Submariner wrote in post #17732278 (external link)
Re your comment "Mounting heatsinks - horrible job!"
My friend asked me to help hIm build a pc, that was the part I was worried about.
Can you elaborate ?
He bought a Noctua NH-D15 Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler with two NH-A15 Fans £78, their instructions say just put a blob the size of a pea in the middle and press down. Would have helped if they said the diameter of the pea!
Big garden peas 9mm dism, small petit pois say 4mm - thats a big difference in quantity. And I'm imagining it all squdging out at the sides or not distributing itself properly and therefore being ineffective!

Any advice welcome - before we totally mess it up.
Does it come off easily if we do etc.

You need a tiny amount of that stuff. That's not the hard bit though, the hard bit for me was getting my Noctuna heatsink properly tied to the motherboard. There are holes on the motherboard, mounting bars , screws that you have to reach through to tighten, etc. It's better than the Core2 ones though.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 04, 2015 22:56 |  #20

yamatama wrote in post #17731374 (external link)
So I want to upgrade my 2012 2.5ghz Core i5 16gb 500gb 5400rpm HD mac mini witch is my workhorse for editing all these years. Ive only use it for LR and PS but I want to integrate a little video editing into the mix. Honestly Im not a Computer savy.. far from it and thats why Im seeking for your help. I have the opportunity to purchase this Imac for $1,700 brand new. I know the monitor is a huuuge upgrade from my dell u2412 but it may be a downgrade on the other specs.

http://www.amazon.com …8&sr=8-2&keywords=imac+5k (external link)

Many people say I can build my own PC but I wouldn't even know where to start.. Im open for suggestions but like (mac or pc.. preferably mac). My budget is $1800 so any suggestions will be considered.

Thanks in advance

I will also recommend an SSD
I currently, and quite happily batch all my files on my Mac Air with a Dual Core 1.7 and 8Gb of ram.
While I don't do any video editing, I find it more than adequate.

Monitor your rm usage while exporting files in LR and with a batched file open in PS while playing music.
***How much of your 16Gb of ram is all that using?***

If it is still well under that, having a faster processor would show that much time savings.

Your ports are already usb 3.0 so no speed increase available there.

With your 16Gb of ram I see little reason to spend money on a brand new machine.

The only potential bottle-neck I see is that spinning HDD.

If you really want a new workstation, and I were you; I would buy a 5K iMac with built in 256 or 512 SSD
Use a 3rd party to upgrade to 32Gb of ram and enjoy it.

This is over you initial budget, but with the new Mac display you could sell your Mac mini and current display.

Best of luck in your decisions.

PS Adorama only collect sales tax in NY and NJ, that saving could factor into your budget.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 05, 2015 06:14 as a reply to  @ InfiniteDivide's post |  #21

This is so complex.. I just cant justify buying the basic 5k imac... so many reviews point out how slow it is, and the SSD one would be way out of my budget. I think I will be better off buying an SSD for my mac mini and a new monitor. To be fair the mac mini can handle LR and PS at the same time very well.. the annoying part is exporting large amount of photos (everytime I export a wedding). It easily takes 30-45 minutes to export 400-500 edited files. The monitor while ok its getting to the point that even with calibration its behaving inconsistently and its annoying.

Would that be a good decision? I just want to make photo editing fun again.. I want to see crisp image, accurate colors and fast post processing.

Back to the beginning :cry:

Nikon D750, 35 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G
My website www.williamdelacruz.co​m (external link)
FB like page https://www.facebook.c​om/WilliamDeLaCruzPhot​o (external link)

urbanfreestyle
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 05, 2015 06:30 as a reply to  @ yamatama's post |  #22

I would say you will see a massive difference with ssd and a new good quality screen. Also make sure you have the most ram possible in it. Photoshop & light room love ram. Lol

Facebook (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,965 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 05, 2015 14:53 |  #23

yamatama wrote in post #17733396 (external link)
This is so complex.. I just cant justify buying the basic 5k imac... so many reviews point out how slow it is, and the SSD one would be way out of my budget. I think I will be better off buying an SSD for my mac mini and a new monitor. To be fair the mac mini can handle LR and PS at the same time very well.. the annoying part is exporting large amount of photos (everytime I export a wedding). It easily takes 30-45 minutes to export 400-500 edited files. The monitor while ok its getting to the point that even with calibration its behaving inconsistently and its annoying.

Would that be a good decision? I just want to make photo editing fun again.. I want to see crisp image, accurate colors and fast post processing.

A new computer will reduce export time, but it won't be 10X faster. How critical is export time? I just run it while I'm making dinner or something. So long as interactive speed is ok I suggest an SSD and just live with it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 05, 2015 14:56 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #24

I made up my mind.. Im buying the SSD you recommended me. I checked for compatibility and it works. One last question before pulling the trigger. Would a 500gb SSD would be noticeably better than a 250 one?

Nikon D750, 35 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G
My website www.williamdelacruz.co​m (external link)
FB like page https://www.facebook.c​om/WilliamDeLaCruzPhot​o (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 05, 2015 15:00 |  #25

yamatama wrote in post #17733953 (external link)
I made up my mind.. Im buying the SSD you recommended me. I checked for compatibility and it works. One last question before pulling the trigger. Would a 500gb SSD would be noticeably better than a 250 one?

Just twice the storage.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 05, 2015 15:21 |  #26

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17731702 (external link)
Your budget is quite reasonable; you can get a really, really good iMac for that figure.
Here's where I would look:
http://www.apple.com …ome/specialdeal​s/mac/imac (external link)

I suggest calling Apple and talking to a rep about your needs. The rep I worked with was very forthright and helped me get my iMac from Apple for a few hundred less than I would have been able to get it for otherwise.

Your suggestion on iMac from refurb is exactly what I was going to say but I have to disagree with talking about an Apple rep. They are paid to push Macs. They will tell you whatever they can to purchase a Mac because a Mac can do everything + more that a PC can't.

Mac reps, from my experience, are part of the cult. They are knowledgeable but even when I walked in to look for a MBP for my wife they kept trying to push me towards the MBPr because I used the word "Photos" an all of the sudden it because a fight for me to telling them "She doesn't need the MBPr because it is just family photos and it isn't worth the premium" but they kept insisting that Retina and photos means great. I get it. But my BUDGET says no.

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #17733144 (external link)
I will also recommend an SSD
I currently, and quite happily batch all my files on my Mac Air with a Dual Core 1.7 and 8Gb of ram.
While I don't do any video editing, I find it more than adequate.

Adequate... I don't think the POTN Computer sub-forum understands that word.

We need more people to recommend based off that word and what will work depending on how much the user has, and willing, to spend and what line of work they are doing. I truly don't understand why people will encourage the spending of $1800+ that something with $1000 could produce at this time and point. Unless OP is getting paid to take photos, I do not see the need for buying such new tech (5K) at this time and point.

yamatama wrote in post #17733396 (external link)

I'd save your money and NOT go 5K iMac right now (or new iMac at all) because the tech is new and from what I just looked up it seems as though the 5K is a bit slow from other users. If you absolutely needed to get an iMac then going for the refurb that was recommended is a good bet. Coming out the gate with the iMac 5K with base configuration doesn't seem worth it and once you load it up to what you need/want it just doesn't financially make sense for just a 5K monitor. 4K screens are out now and they are a fraction of what a 5K monitor (or iMac) cost. I am sure a 4K monitor would blow your mind away now if your only at 1200p currently.

First thought is the SSD is going to be the biggest thing to add to your computer. Spend big and grab a 500GB or 1TB and get it in there. Pay a friend. In your case, the larger SSD you get the longer you will have till you have to open that thing up again. You were also contemplating on spending up 1800 for a new computer... this would 1/4 of the cost at most.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

urbanfreestyle
2,046 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 05, 2015 15:23 |  #27

BlakeC wrote in post #17733964 (external link)
Just twice the storage.

Simply yes but different capacity can offer different speeds too! I bought a Toshiba SSD as it was faster than the Samsung 840. However this was only true for the 120gb version.
Will there be any speed difference that you will actually notice? No. Generally with SSD's i would recommend getting the biggest you can afford as if you get the 250 version you may run out of space and have to spend that money ALL OVER AGAIN for a bigger one.

Facebook (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,965 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 05, 2015 15:28 |  #28

yamatama wrote in post #17733953 (external link)

No. OS and programs will take 100GB absolute max. That leaves 150GB for images and media. I suggest you consider the SSD for storage of your current working set of images, and you have all images on both a spinning disk (external I guess) as well as in your regular backup system for offsite backups.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bleufire.

Oct 05, 2015 15:32 |  #29

tim wrote in post #17734009 (external link)
No. OS and programs will take 100GB absolute max. That leaves 150GB for images and media. I suggest you consider the SSD for storage of your current working set of images, and you have all images on both a spinning disk (external I guess) as well as in your regular backup system for offsite backups.

While true you can nip a lot of file management in the butt by going larger though and just work off of the SSD.

EDIT: a Mushkin 480GB for $130 right now http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6820226673 (external link)

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,965 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 05, 2015 15:54 |  #30

Bleufire wrote in post #17734014 (external link)
While true you can nip a lot of file management in the butt by going larger though and just work off of the SSD.

EDIT: a Mushkin 480GB for $130 right now http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6820226673 (external link)

When SSDs fail, they fail quickly, which means you need backups anyway. True you can just get a bigger SSD, but personally I do trust the Samsung ones and think they're worth paying for. With good backups it doesn't matter which brand you get though.

sponsored links

3,786 views & 11 likes for this thread
Seeking help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.