Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 14 Aug 2015 (Friday) 17:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What does Canon need to put on the 5D4?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 04, 2015 23:43 |  #46

dexter75 wrote in post #17733151 (external link)
But its not a real problem, Canon sensors are great. As I said, the DR "problem" is massively overrated by sub par photographers who don't know how to properly expose a photo and internet trolls who do nothing but study DxO like its the Bible and obsess over camera specs. Pro sports, wildlife, wedding, landscape and studio photographers have been taking amazing photos for years with Canon DSLRs, and they have gotten by just fine with the DR in the current bodies. These "Canon needs at least 14 stop of DR and at least a 90 rating from DxO in its next camera or it will be worthless and Im selling all my gear and switching to Sony!!" threads are ridiculous but quite comical.

You are absolutely hilarious. I bet if Canon had the worlds greatest sensor, and the worst AF, you'd be going on about how IQ is all that matters; and how "people were making award winning images with no AF for years". Your arguments are so convoluted that you contradict yourself on every thread you jump into with this nonsense. World renowned, award winning photographers are picking up Sony sensor equipped cameras for the IQ. Maybe they know something you don't. Phase One, Hasselblad, and Pentax have introduced MF cameras using Sony sensors. Maybe that ought to tell you something.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,312 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 05, 2015 00:23 |  #47

Where's the popcorn emoticon?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Canon_Shoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 05, 2015 00:25 |  #48

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17733214 (external link)
Where's the popcorn emoticon?

Bahahahahaha!!!

Facebook-- http://www.facebook.co​m/AndrewShoemakerPhoto​graphy (external link)
Website----http://andrewshoemaker​photography.com/ (external link)
Nikon D810, Nikon 14-24, Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 VR, Nikon 70-200 VR II

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,312 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 05, 2015 00:32 |  #49

Simply put, the DR issue is there... Canon is behind one generation. As simple as that, right?

Hopefully, for Canon, the next gen will give a stop or two more. If it doesn't more will switch. Canon is not stupid and I'm sure they realize it.

This forum bickering about whether or not DR is important is getting old. It is for some, it isn't for others. Nuf' said.

Now what else would we like to see on the 5D4 besides DR?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

dexter75
329 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by dexter75. (3 edits in all)

Oct 05, 2015 00:58 |  #50

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17733221 (external link)
Simply put, the DR issue is there... Canon is behind one generation. As simple as that, right?

Hopefully, for Canon, the next gen will give a stop or two more. If it doesn't more will switch. Canon is not stupid and I'm sure they realize it.

This forum bickering about whether or not DR is important is getting old. It is for some, it isn't for others. Nuf' said.

The 5Ds is the first new FF camera Canon has released since what? 2012? Thats almost 4 years ago now, so one would expect those cameras to be a bit behind compared to brand new cameras and companies who release new cameras every 12-18 months. Having said that, the 5Ds didn't see a huge jump in DR over the cameras released in 2012 which should tell you Canon is really not concerned about winning some ridiculous DR spec war and don't see it as a pressing issue. So yes, landscape shooters who value DR above all else should just move to Sony or stay there and be happy, just as sports and wildlife shooters who value fast AF systems and a high FPS rate are still very happy with Canon. As far as the next 5D...give it more megapixels, improve the AF system, give it a higher FPS rate and a higher max ISO and it will sell just fine.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 70-200mm f/4L USM EF 135mm f/2L USM

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 05, 2015 01:14 |  #51

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17733221 (external link)

Aside from a new generation sensor? How about: dual CF card slots, a viewfinder shutter, the ability to record a memo to an image file (rather than making a separate video), a modest increase in resolution, built in bulb timer and intervalometer, a wider spread of AF points (don't think we'll see that though), internal wifi, inter-changeable focus screens. . . . .

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 05, 2015 04:49 |  #52

WA Tiger wrote in post #17731740 (external link)
Just found this is an article. What is the difference?

"We do hope this time Canon will bring out advance phase AF module compared to its old 61 point phase AF module/sensor used inside Canon 1DX and 5D Mark III".

http://thenewcamera.co​m …iv-release-6-months-away/ (external link)

Anyoneߘ

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 06, 2015 13:40 |  #53

I would like to see 4K video. A touch screen lCD too.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by njstacker22.

Oct 06, 2015 14:01 |  #54

Better DR (YEA I SAID IT!), an articulating touch screen, higher MP and 4k would be great :lol:

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 06, 2015 14:16 |  #55

What does Canon need to put on the 5D4? I don't care at this point, just bring it out!!

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 06, 2015 14:23 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

What does Canon need to put on the 5D4? Sensor, buttons, a great big hole to fit the lens, a hole to look through when you have a lens on.....a good firmware and countless of other things..........

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 09, 2015 03:59 |  #57

I don't know whether it is possible in a DLSR but I love the built in ND filter on my x100s. Also the flash syncing down to 1/1000s. Those two together make the x100s great for sunny day portraits.

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 17, 2015 21:53 |  #58

Some good points here..

https://fstoppers.com …make-or-break-canon-86462 (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,472 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 18, 2015 00:27 |  #59

I am always all-in with the "give us more DR" crowd, although I've learned not to be too repetitive about complaining of Canon's ineptness on that score. But, aside from a few really obvious wishes (better DR, resoultion bump, 4K video, etc.) I can't think what Canon should do with the 5D IV, which brings me to the point of my post: it's time for Canon to be innovative and stop merely being iterative. They need to do that cool thing none of us sees coming. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

dexter75
329 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by dexter75. (2 edits in all)

Oct 18, 2015 02:48 |  #60

David Arbogast wrote in post #17749924 (external link)
it's time for Canon to be innovative and stop merely being iterative. They need to do that cool thing none of us sees coming. :)

You mean like a 50mp DSLR that matches the cheapest medium format DSLR in resolution but for 1/3 of the price? Or how about the upcoming 120mp camera they showed off that they will be releasing? THAT is innovative, not a few more stops of DR most shooters never really benefit from in real world usage.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 70-200mm f/4L USM EF 135mm f/2L USM

sponsored links

33,466 views & 38 likes for this thread
What does Canon need to put on the 5D4?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.