Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 03 Oct 2015 (Saturday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Seeking help

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by BlakeC.

Oct 05, 2015 15:57 |  #31

tim wrote in post #17734047 (external link)
When SSDs fail, they fail quickly, which means you need backups anyway. True you can just get a bigger SSD, but personally I do trust the Samsung ones and think they're worth paying for. With good backups it doesn't matter which brand you get though.

Agreed!

Backup your backups! Mine are on my SSD in my pc, original raws stay on and external Hdd, ssd is backed up to OneDrive, finished edits are also on smugmug.... you can have all the external drives you want but what do you do if your house burns down, floods, or someone breaks in and steals everything?

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

sponsored links
Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 05, 2015 16:10 |  #32

tim wrote in post #17734047 (external link)
When SSDs fail, they fail quickly, which means you need backups anyway. True you can just get a bigger SSD, but personally I do trust the Samsung ones and think they're worth paying for. With good backups it doesn't matter which brand you get though.

And by quickly I assume you mean instantly?

Never thought about it that way regarding branding on internal SSD and the external backups.

BlakeC wrote in post #17734051 (external link)
Agreed!

Backup your backups! Mine are on my SSD in my pc, original raws stay on and external Hdd, ssd is backed up to OneDrive, finished edits are also on smugmug.... you can have all the external drives you want but what do you do if your house burns down, floods, or someone breaks in and steals everything?

I can't tell you how many times I have had to give bad news to someone that something is not recoverable. There is one girl who has her laptops dead HDD sitting in a static bag I removed from the laptop and gave her sitting in a drawer that she has a ton of past photos that she swears she is going to send in when she can afford it because she didn't have another copy. EEP! -?

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 05, 2015 17:38 |  #33

One of my older SSDs failed, it was the OS disk. It limped along for 24 hours then died completely, unrecoverable. Fortunately I keep no data on the OS disk, and I do regular OS images so I could restore to a new disk easily.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 05, 2015 17:54 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #34

Off topic from OP, how do you image the PC? Windows built in method? We used Ghost (paired with BART P.E.) at work and I honestly never really cared to research imaging for personal use but I just installed an SSD into my system over this weekend and I have almost everything installed but am curious what process you prefer. I think I'll image this time because it took up time I could of been doing something else.

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 05, 2015 18:17 |  #35

Bleufire wrote in post #17734245 (external link)
Off topic from OP, how do you image the PC?

Macrium Reflect Free (external link)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by InfiniteDivide. (2 edits in all)

Oct 05, 2015 19:12 |  #36

Adequate is a term I try to avoid using, however in this specific case:
I DON'T see a new processor and 32gb of ram truly cutting the exporting time in half.
It is a bottleneck of complex processing and writing files that may take 20-30 minutes
Versus the current 30-45 minutes it takes now.

My usual recommendation is BUY! BUY! BUY!
Such is the common greeting of any "Should I buy: ___" thread on this forum. ;)

OP:

Depending on the exact Mac mini model of SSD needed:
I believe 16Gb is the maximum ram already.
I recommend Samsung 850 Evo drive
Something with read and write speeds of 500Mb/s +

For future proofing I would not go with anything smaller than 500Gb

Check the cache and scratch file size on your Mac for both LR and PS.
How much of your ram are you dedicating to it? The more the better.
Especially if you get up and do something non-computer related while it batches exports.
With the new large SSD you can boost those file sizes and ram allowances.

Here are the Preferences of both my Lightroom and PS Elements Performance tabs:

These are conservative as I multi task on my Mac while batching.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 05, 2015 22:09 |  #37

I have 120GB SSDs, they're usually less than half full, but I do have five disks in my PC for other storage (two SSD, 2x4TB RAID mirror, 2TB media). So you can easily get by with 250GB, but given how cheap 500GB is ($170) if you can afford it, sure, why not. I get the pro range, because I value quality and reliability, but the evo are good too.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,518 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Tom Reichner. (5 edits in all)

Oct 06, 2015 00:17 |  #38

Bleufire wrote in post #17733997 (external link)
Your suggestion on iMac from refurb is exactly what I was going to say but I have to disagree with talking about an Apple rep. They are paid to push Macs. They will tell you whatever they can to purchase a Mac because a Mac can do everything + more that a PC can't.

Thanks for the insight.

In my case, the rep truly was extremely helpful.....but perhaps that is because I was already sold on getting an iMac before I even called the rep.

I used a variety of PCs for many years. . Then in 2008 I bought my first Apple, an iMac. . I have been so happy with it for so many reasons that I don't think I will ever go back to a PC again. . So, the rep didn't try to convince me of anything, or try to push a Mac on me....because he knew that I was already convinced. . I had a specific iMac in mind that I had already decided to buy, and the rep helped me get it for the absolute best price possible. . He also answered some questions I had regarding some compatibility issues between my old iMac and the new one. . And he also gave me a very detailed explanation of exactly what types of support I would have access to, both over the phone and at my local Apple store. . So, in my case, the rep was absolutely great.

However, if you are still trying to decide between a PC and a Mac, and you call an Apple rep to discuss your needs, I can see how you may be annoyed if they are pushy.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Post edited over 4 years ago by tim.

Oct 06, 2015 01:57 |  #39

Since this is turning into a PC vs mac thread, with stupid claims being made (Bluefire) I'm out. This thread is heading away from being objective towards a bit sad.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 06, 2015 02:54 |  #40

tim wrote in post #17734775 (external link)
Since this is turning into a PC vs mac thread, with stupid claims being made (Bluefire) I'm out. This thread is heading away from being objective towards a bit sad.

Fine by me.

I still stand by my statements that this sub-forum pushes systems onto people that are not worth the price premium that replying members have no issue spending their own money on for diminishing returns. I swear most members here would attempt to convince their grandmothers who want to check their email once a week that a Macbook Retina is the way to go.

You guys have no issue yelling at someone they don't need a 1Dx to shoot a turtle race in the other subs so how are discussions and debate about computers any different?

Unless your statement is a response to:

They will tell you whatever they can to purchase a Mac because a Mac can do everything + more that a PC can't.

In which case; /s.

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 06, 2015 08:29 |  #41

I ordered the Samsung evo SSD 500gb. Honestly I was about to make a big mistake with the 5k imac.. so thanks a lot for guiding me to the right choice. Now I have extra budget to get a good quality monitor (about $900) so suggestions are welcome. I will keep you updated (if you want) on how's everything going with the new setup.

Nikon D750, 35 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G
My website www.williamdelacruz.co​m (external link)
FB like page https://www.facebook.c​om/WilliamDeLaCruzPhot​o (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 06, 2015 08:36 |  #42

^ I don't think that the replys on this thread are ill advised. When any users asks for opinions or recommendations they will of course receive heavy bias suggestions.

I am not suggesting a Mac is the only option.
Many of my friends locally have bought or built their own Windows desktops, it is quite popular here in Japan.
I don't know any that build their own laptops.

I don't recommend an option I would not consider myself.

My primary recommendation is to not buy a new PC of any kind, upgrading the HDD is a great solution.

I would happily order and pay for my recommended 5K Mac as a superior resolution screen for processing.

Unfortunately, my mobile needs outweigh the desktop option.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 06, 2015 08:52 |  #43

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #17735010 (external link)
^ I don't think that the replys on this thread are ill advised. When any users asks for opinions or recommendations they will of course receive heavy bias suggestions.

I am not suggesting a Mac is the only option.
Many of my friends locally have bought or built their own Windows desktops, it is quite popular here in Japan.
I don't know any that build their own laptops.

I don't recommend an option I would not consider myself.

My primary recommendation is to not buy a new PC of any kind, upgrading the HDD is a great solution.

I would happily order and pay for my recommended 5K Mac as a superior resolution screen for processing.

Unfortunately, my mobile needs outweigh the desktop option.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to have a 5k imac with the specs you recommended me but honestly I do not have the budget for that kind of machine.. I was referring to the basic 5k imac.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,518 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Oct 06, 2015 09:16 |  #44

tim wrote in post #17734775 (external link)

It's a shame you are out of this one, Tim; your insights and shared experiences have added considerably to this thread. I am sure that the OP and others have benefited from the knowledge you have shared here, and could benefit further from more or your input.

By the way, I have not noticed that this has become a "Mac vs. PC" thread. Folks have shared their own opinions, experiences, and preferences, but I honestly haven't seen anyone here on this thread try to force either system on anyone. Nor have I seen anyone "trash" the system they do not prefer.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by yamatama.

Oct 06, 2015 09:17 |  #45

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17735051 (external link)
It's a shame you are out of this one, Tim; your insights and shared experiences have added considerably to this thread.

By the way, I have not noticed that this has become a "Mac vs. PC" thread. Folks have shared their own opinions, experiences, and preferences, but I honestly haven't seen anyone here on this thread try to force either system on anyone. Nor have I seen anyone "trash" the system they do not prefer.

Agree, Tim always is a huge help and gives great advice.

sponsored links

4,246 views & 11 likes for this thread
Seeking help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.