Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Sep 2015 (Wednesday) 16:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is Ring light desirable for Portraits?

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 5 years ago by PineBomb.

Oct 05, 2015 18:30 |  #16

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17734151 (external link)
Great pics, but the lights just look weird (to me).

I know. They're great photos of good looking people. But the catch lights always make me wonder why they have this weird pupil dilation as if they're tripping on some radioactive alien weed.

They're great photos, Ben. But some people are going to like the catch lights, while others are perplexed by them.

EDIT: I also want to reserve my right to fully retract this opinion. Sometimes I come around to these things--just not today. ;-)a

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

sponsored links
crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 05, 2015 22:29 as a reply to  @ post 17734151 |  #17

Agree. I don't care for the look of the eyes at all.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,903 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 5 years ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Oct 06, 2015 09:00 |  #18

A beauty dish can provide the big flat lighting that a ring light provides, yet not have the undesireable alien eye appearance of the catchlight. An additional feature of the larger ring lights is that any shadow cast on the background appears as a shadowy halo visible to the lens all around the subject, which is objectionable to some and 'contemporary' to others...and subject to overuse. Some fashion photographers had adopted that appearance in their shooting as a contemporary departure from most lighting, and like most 'new looks', years ago began to be imitated by others in different types of shooting.

ANY device which is the same diameter as the ring light, which is mounted very close to the lens axis, can provide similar flat lighting (no variant from side to side, no modelling of facial features as with Main+fill lighting setup).

Ring lights were invented for macro technical illumination for small objects, where camera distance can make it difficult to set lights and/or the skittishness of the subject makes traditional lighitng impractical. No 'modelling', just 'illumination' were desired. Then folks started trying to use it for portraiture.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 06, 2015 12:21 |  #19

The only people that I have found that do not like the ring lights are other photographers. All that matters is if your clients like them, and every time I've used it, they've loved it and bought the photos.

This reminds me of the time when selective coloring was popular...photographer​s hated it, but clients loved it.

Gear
Website (external link)

ben805
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by ben805. (3 edits in all)

Oct 06, 2015 12:37 as a reply to  @ ShotByTom's post |  #20

The only people that I have found that do not like the ring lights are other photographers. All that matters is if your clients like them, and every time I've used it, they've loved it and bought the photos.

This reminds me of the time when selective coloring was popular...photographer​s hated it, but clients loved it.

That's the impression I get too, most photogs from online forum seems to frown upon using ring lights and dislike the alien or Transformers Autobot looking catch lights, but clients absolutely loved it. I also notice it seems to be very popular among female makeup/beauty artist(video bloggers) on youtube too. LOL

The lighting can be a bit too flat for my taste so the ring light isn't something I'd use all the time, personally I'd prefer more traditional softbox/stripbox and umbrella, need more shadow to make certain facial or body feature stand out, but hey whatever clienteles want at least we can give them some options. :-D

5D Mark III, Samyang 14mm, 35LII, 85L II, 100L IS Macro, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II. 580EX, AB400, AB800.

Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 07, 2015 22:29 |  #21

I personally love the look of ring lights and am buying a cheap one for some experimenting

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

sponsored links

5,160 views & 4 likes for this thread
Is Ring light desirable for Portraits?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.