Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Oct 2015 (Saturday) 10:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom Import Question

pennjos
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 10, 2015 10:56 |  #1

Hi!
New here, and I've been thru all of the stickies, and even googled this question, and no one can help me.
I have a MacBook Pro. Lately I was having issues with it freezing up on me, Photos would take forever to edit, apps were crashing like crazy.
So, I scrubbed the hard drive. Removed 89,000 files. (took it 24 hours). Now she's working like brand new.
I subscribed to Lightroom CC the other day, loaded the program, and went about importing some pics to play with.
During the import it found over 2,000 pictures that I threw away a LONG time ago!
When I click on Mac HD, and pictures (where LR says it found them) the visible folders are empty!
How do I locate these pictures and throw them away?
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Penny

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 10, 2015 11:45 |  #2

If you just deleted the images, rather than reformatting the drive, then they are not actually deleted. All the computer does is tag them as "deleted" so it knows that the data is unwanted and can be overwritten, it doesn't physically overwrite them straight away. This means that deleted images can be found and recovered (with some software) until new data added to the drive is written over them. I haven't had LR find deleted images before but I can understand the possibility.

You can't find the images yourself because the computer has them marked as "deleted" so won't show them, even if you did find them you can't simply delete them again as the computer still wouldn't physically remove them it would just tag the bit of drive they are on as being available to write on.

To actually remove them so that they cannot resurface you need to either format the drive again (and even then I have known images be recovered from a formatted memory card, so may not completely remove them) or use some software that writes random 1s and 0s to the whole drive (that should get the buggers).

BUT, they aren't doing any harm, they are no longer taking up space on the drive (as the computer knows it is spare space) and they aren't slowing things down any more. It is odd that LR has imported them but just delete them from the LR catalogue and forget them.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,973 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 10, 2015 12:06 |  #3

The thing is though if the files were deleted using the OS, then it should not be possible for LR to see them either, as it will use the computers in built file management system. Recovery software can usually find deleted files, that have not been physically overwritten because it ignores the file systems list of current files, and simply reads "bits" from the storage device. This is something normal programs just cannot do. I do not have an OSX Mac, nor do I know what file system they use at a hardware level, but it might be that the files were moved to the "trash" folder, where they are still visible to the filesystem so that they are "recoverable" simply by using the system file browser (Finder) and it's undelete function. That is the only way that I can think that LR would find otherwise deleted files on the system. To get rid of the files permanently you would want to go to the Trash folder and empty the trash folder. If you do not fill the drive to capacity, and don't empty the trash, you can find that you might have lots of old files sitting quietly in the Trash folder.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,045 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 10, 2015 12:13 |  #4

So it appears that in some circumstances, Lightroom actually functions as recovery software. . Cool!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

pennjos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 10, 2015 13:08 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #5

thank you so much for the help! I was worried they were still taking up space.

pennjos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 10, 2015 13:10 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #6

I emptied the trash, and did a "secure empty trash", that's what took 24 hours to complete.
Thanks for answering!

pennjos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 10, 2015 13:12 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #7

I guess so! It's weird, because I viewed the trash can before the secure empty, so I knew what was in there, and now these images are back that have been thrown away a long time ago.
Thankfully they are nothing critical, I'm not a politician. LOL!
Thank you everybody, I appreciate the insight!

pknight
Goldmember
2,655 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 12, 2015 05:37 |  #8

If you subscribed to LR just "the other day," then you probably installed the buggy and Import-challenged 2016.2 version. Adobe messed with the Import function in a major way in this release, and it looks, and operates, unlike anything we had before. One default setting is that when you open Imoprt it scans your entire system for any photos that could be imported into LR. It is probably finding versions of old images that are on a disc somewhere. It will do this every time you go to import unless you turn it off.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

birderman
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by birderman.

Oct 13, 2015 09:55 |  #9

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17740119 (external link)
So it appears that in some circumstances, Lightroom actually functions as recovery software. . Cool!

Really I doubt it very much

What I would suggest is happening is the hard drive is being scanned for all picture files and importing the ones it finds. Therefore these must be somewhere on the system as working files not recoverable deleted files. If the Mac Trash acts same way as Windows Recycle Bin then I cannot see the files in that being seen by LR as these are normally inaccessible to normal software applications.

You can use Lightroom to open the Folder in the OS Explorer by right clicking on the image and selecting the option 'Show In Explorer' (note this is on Windows 10, I assume you will have something equivalent on a Mac). The OS will then open the file browser/explorer at the correct location where the pictures are saved.

HTH

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

seall
560 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 13, 2015 18:30 |  #10

Are you sure your permissions are set correctly?

The senario you describe can happen due to file/folder ownership having a problem with program execution user, level and ownership.

birderman
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by birderman.

Oct 14, 2015 09:36 |  #11

Just re-read the question from the OP, so if I understand right your LR catalogue shows a load of photos that do not appear in the place they are supposed to be when you go to the folder location using your system OS.

If you delete a photo outside of LR it remains in the catalogue together with the preview as LR doesn't know you have removed the original from your HD. In this instance LR will still show the preview but with question mark overlayed in the corner and if you try to do any editing or exporting etc. of the image LR will tell you it cannot find the file. If this is what happening then you just need to select the affected photos in LR and right click and tell LR to remove them from the catalogue.

I think it may be possible that if you rebuilt your catalogue after installing the new version of LR that it has picked up data from a previous version of your catalogue and when these images existed as the preiviews hadn't been deleted previously.

HTH

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

sponsored links

1,456 views & 2 likes for this thread
Lightroom Import Question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.