Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 11 Oct 2015 (Sunday) 00:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon's new offer: Extended warranty (CarePAK Plus) for new select purchases...question...

carpenter
Goldmember
2,626 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 11, 2015 00:12 |  #1

Canon is offering free 13 months of CarePak Plus on select new purchases (refurbished or new) from authorized dealers) Not sure I fully understand the wording on the CarePak warranty though.

"If provided to You, a replacement product may be a new or refurbished product of equal or similar features and functionality, but not necessarily the same brand. " What exactly does that mean? Another brand would be something other than Canon wouldn't it?

Also Canon says here: http://shop.usa.canon.​com …s-offers?WT.mc_id=C12614​9 (external link) that you get:
"Protection from kids, pets, and life including accidental damage such as drops, spills, power surges and other unforeseen events."

Under WHAT IS NOT COVERED here http://shop.usa.canon.​com …atalog/carepak-plus-terms (external link) in the terms and conditions it says:
LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO THE COVERED PRODUCT RESULTING FROM: ABUSE (MEANING THE INTENTIONAL TREATMENT OF THE COVERED PRODUCT IN A HARMFUL, INJURIOUS, MALICIOUS OR OFFENSIVE MANNER WHICH RESULTS IN ITS DAMAGE AND/OR FAILURE), MISHANDLING, IMPROPER PACKAGING BY YOU, ALTERATION, ACCIDENTAL COLLISION WITH OR OF ANOTHER OBJECT, ELECTRICAL CURRENT FLUCTUATIONS (OTHER THAN THAT WHICH IS EXPLICITLY DEFINED AS POWER SURGE IN THE DEFINITIONS SECTION), FAILURE TO FOLLOW OPERATING, MAINTENANCE OR ENVIRONMENTAL INSTRUCTIONS PRESCRIBED IN THE COVERED PRODUCT'S MANUFACTURER OWNER'S MANUAL OR SERVICE PERFORMED BY ANYONE OTHER THAN A SERVICER AUTHORIZED BY CANON.
ACCIDENTAL COLLISION WITH OR OF ANOTHER OBJECT

Seems like it is contradictory.

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

sponsored links
PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 11, 2015 07:56 |  #2

carpenter wrote in post #17740778 (external link)
Canon is offering free 13 months of CarePak Plus on select new purchases (refurbished or new) from authorized dealers) Not sure I fully understand the wording on the CarePak warranty though.

"If provided to You, a replacement product may be a new or refurbished product of equal or similar features and functionality, but not necessarily the same brand. " What exactly does that mean? Another brand would be something other than Canon wouldn't it?

Also Canon says here: http://shop.usa.canon.​com …s-offers?WT.mc_id=C12614​9 (external link) that you get:
"Protection from kids, pets, and life including accidental damage such as drops, spills, power surges and other unforeseen events."

Under WHAT IS NOT COVERED here http://shop.usa.canon.​com …atalog/carepak-plus-terms (external link) in the terms and conditions it says:
LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO THE COVERED PRODUCT RESULTING FROM: ABUSE (MEANING THE INTENTIONAL TREATMENT OF THE COVERED PRODUCT IN A HARMFUL, INJURIOUS, MALICIOUS OR OFFENSIVE MANNER WHICH RESULTS IN ITS DAMAGE AND/OR FAILURE), MISHANDLING, IMPROPER PACKAGING BY YOU, ALTERATION, ACCIDENTAL COLLISION WITH OR OF ANOTHER OBJECT, ELECTRICAL CURRENT FLUCTUATIONS (OTHER THAN THAT WHICH IS EXPLICITLY DEFINED AS POWER SURGE IN THE DEFINITIONS SECTION), FAILURE TO FOLLOW OPERATING, MAINTENANCE OR ENVIRONMENTAL INSTRUCTIONS PRESCRIBED IN THE COVERED PRODUCT'S MANUFACTURER OWNER'S MANUAL OR SERVICE PERFORMED BY ANYONE OTHER THAN A SERVICER AUTHORIZED BY CANON.

I think this is mostly standard boilerplate extended warranty coverage, thus the "other brand" clause. I seriously doubt Canon would exercise that (it'd be a really funny marketing / PR fiasco if that really happened.)

Collision probably refers to your camera being hit by a car, or smashed with a hammer, both of which I can't see Canon covering. (I know you can call a drop a "collision with the ground" but that's probably not their intent.) One interesting thing to note is most other ADH contracts specifically rule out "immersion in liquid" (e.g. dropping your camera into a pond), as well as floods, but this one doesn't seem to rule it out. Although I don't want to be the one to try that type of coverage...

Overall it looks like a pretty good free addition. P.S. Carpenter, thanks for being a loyal CPW reader :)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 14, 2015 10:28 |  #3

Seems pretty useless due to that accidental collision clause, bump a table or a fence etc and you get nothing. :-0
Drop it accidentally and it collides with the floor!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

hedonist77
195 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 16, 2015 18:05 |  #4

I would tend to assume (for cameras and lenses) that all collisions would be accidental; but that's just me!;-)a

Current gear: One crop frame body, a couple of lenses, one flash
Wishlist: More time; better photography skills, some good glass, full-frame body.....

RhodyPhotos
Goldmember
1,238 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 06, 2016 21:42 |  #5

Just had a chat with a canon rep. According to him refurbs are not a part of the carePAK Plus deal. I bought a 6d refurb and was looking into registering it. I was pointed to the following webpage for more info

http://shop.usa.canon.​com …/carepak-plus-offer-faq#3 (external link)

And i didn't see any mention of refurb anywhere.

Was the canon rep wrong? Or am i missing something?

Thanks

CC always welcome.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 09, 2016 05:13 |  #6

From the T&C
http://shop.usa.canon.​com …atalog/carepak-plus-terms (external link)

PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY
This Service Contract covers Products purchased as new or factory-refurbished and manufactured for use in the United States, which, at the time of Product purchase, included a Canon USA, Inc. limited warranty valid in the United States providing minimum coverage of [90 days] [one year] parts and labor. This Service Contract must be purchased within 90 days of purchase of Your Product. Purchase of this Service Contract is not required to purchase the Product or to obtain financing for the Product. Coverage outlined in this Service Contract only applies to Products not covered under any other insurance warranty, guarantee and/or service contract providing the same benefits as outlined herein. Products must be purchased from a Retailer, and be solely intended for personal use, and not intended for Commercial Use, or for resale. Accessories, external peripheral devices and/or add-on options are not covered under this Service Contract.

My Gear

RhodyPhotos
Goldmember
1,238 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 12, 2016 19:19 as a reply to  @ runninmann's post |  #7

Talked to someone at canon today and got the camera registered for carepak. Didn't have any trouble.

Thanks for sending me the T & C.

CC always welcome.

sponsored links

2,303 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon's new offer: Extended warranty (CarePAK Plus) for new select purchases...question...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.