Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 08 Oct 2015 (Thursday) 04:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon 750d(t6i) or 70d

carperjosh
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 08, 2015 04:05 |  #1

Hey guys I currently have a canon 1100d with the 40mm pancake lens. I normally take portrait pictures outside with as much bokeh as possible. I normally take the pictures of a tripod with a shutter release. The main reason for the new camera is for the rotating screen as I find it difficult to frame my photos up on my own and it's a lot of trial and error. Also the wifi feature on both cameras will be really useful. My question is which one would offer better stills. I never use video and most of the time my photos are taken in manual 1/60 2.8 (lowest lens will go). Also the canon 70d is £200 more than the 750d is it really worth that much more if i dont use the camera for video? Thanks for any help given

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,202 posts
Gallery: 1640 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by MalVeauX.

Oct 08, 2015 04:10 |  #2

carperjosh wrote in post #17737381 (external link)
Hey guys I currently have a canon 1100d with the 40mm pancake lens. I normally take portrait pictures outside with as much bokeh as possible. I normally take the pictures of a tripod with a shutter release. The main reason for the new camera is for the rotating screen as I find it difficult to frame my photos up on my own and it's a lot of trial and error. Also the wifi feature on both cameras will be really useful. My question is which one would offer better stills. I never use video and most of the time my photos are taken in manual 1/60 2.8 (lowest lens will go). Also the canon 70d is £200 more than the 750d is it really worth that much more if i dont use the camera for video? Thanks for any help given

Heya,

The image quality between them is indistinguishable. The difference is build quality & features. Stills will be virtually identical. So again, it's build quality & features.

70D is simply better in every way, except cost is slightly more (at least in your market, in the US market, the 70D costs virtually the same so it's a no-brainer here).

70D has a bigger buffer (much bigger, almost 3 times as much), full shutter capability (1/8000s), better overall battery life, better build quality, better FPS.

Frankly, I'd get the 70D even at the higher cost just from a build durability, buffer and battery life. Nevermind video.

Lastly, you're going to be hard pressed to really see a discernible difference moving to one of these cameras from that T3. Slight (pixel peeping level) edge to these newer models. But really, you'd frankly get more of what you say you try to get the most of, which is depth of field control, by either moving to a larger sensor, or getting a faster and longer focal length lens. Example, using a 100 F2 or 85 F1.8 will yield a much thinner depth of field than that 40 F2.8 will. A simple lens change would drastically alter the look, while changing cameras and using that 40 STM with a newer camera would change literally nothing about how the image looks.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

carperjosh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 08, 2015 06:24 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #3

thanks for the reply really helped out. so even though the 750d has 24 megapixels and the 70d has 20 you said think the image quality with be pretty much identical? i do sometimes crop my images and zoom to see the sharpness of the image. i know megapixels arent that important but the thought of a few more and a newer sensor sounds good.

Also i have been considering the canon 35mm f2 lens as i love using primes but after some research some people were saying the imagine quality between the 40mm and 35mm wasnt much at all so im not sure what to do im not sure im ready to go out and spend a load of money on L glass

jhartley
110 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 11, 2015 11:39 |  #4

My original DSLR was the T3 and I upgraded to the 70D. I don't do portraits much as I normally use my camera to take pictures of the kids playing sports and it was a huge upgrade for me due to the much better AF on the 70D. When I got my 70D the T6i wasn't out yet but after it came out I went and played around with one at a local shop to see what I thought of it. In my hands it didn't feel as solid as the 70D does but it still felt more solid than the T3. I couldn't notice a difference in the AF or picture quality with the ones I took. I took and used my SD card on the camera and looked at the pictures when I got home. What I would do if I was you is go to a camera store and hold both in your hand and see which one feels best for you. The T6i might be the way to go if you want to save some money.

70D 18-135 STM, 10-22mm, 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 55-250 STM, 270EX II

Chris ­ R/T
612 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 22, 2015 08:12 |  #5

If it were me, I'd upgrade the body to a lightly used T4i or similar. Then I'd use the left over money I was going to spend on a big body on glass.

I've seen T4i's around here for $300-400 USD. Even at the high end, that's half the price of the bodies you're looking at (in USD) you could use that money to pick up a 85 F1.8 (great value!) and a Sigma 30 F1.4 and have a couple of really great primes in your bag that'll allow you to do all sorts of DoF.

Gear List
flickr (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 22, 2015 08:16 |  #6

I upgraded from the 1100 to the 70D and am glad I did! Awesome camera. You wouldn't regret it! You will take better photos with it. For the simple fact that it allows you to take photos that you might otherwise not be able to accomplish with the T3.

Like Mal said, it's just a better camera all the way around.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 26, 2015 19:25 |  #7

Any newer camera will have better features, no brainier that a 70D will be better than a T3 or a T6i better than a T3 and any older Rebel.

If WIFI and an articulating screen are that important to you, go with a T6i and save the money over a 70D. I don't see how much you will benefit from a 70D for portrait photography over any modern Rebel.

Then, if you can do without WIFI, a T5i or T4i would save a ton of money and provide you with an articulating touch screen. IQ will remain much the same with any of them.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,108 views & 3 likes for this thread
canon 750d(t6i) or 70d
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.