Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Oct 2015 (Monday) 13:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pricing question

pski
39 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 12, 2015 13:26 |  #1

Ok,

So i am trying to figure out a pricing for a image use for a government agency.

I have a image they want to use. It will be printed in a 8.5x7.5 flyer/mailer. It will be folder in half and the front fold will be 8.5x3.75. The image will be on the front fold of the flyer, full color, approximately 1.875x2.5 in size. This flyer will go out to 250,000 mailers with a potential printing of 1mil to reach all 833,000 customers.

The same flyer will be used on their website for up to 2 years. My image will be one of 3 images on the front page of the flyer (exact layout not known). If it similar to past flyers they did, it will most likely be near the middle to lower half, but still fully visible.

This is a profit center for this department, as they bring in money, but will be used to market changing rates. There will be no photo credit.

I do not know their overall budget for marketing...

I feel .02 a print or $5000 for the flyer and online is fair.

If there is a need to negotiate, I am looking for other examples that can be found online for this usage, so I may reference them if needed for examples. Can anyone help? Concrete examples will help me with dealing with this group.

Mike "Pski"
http://www.mp-photography.net (external link)

sponsored links
jackied
50 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 12, 2015 15:03 |  #2

What type of government agency? Local, county or city level may not have that type of budget. Federal is another story, but the bid seems high to me.

Jackie
Canon Girl

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 12, 2015 15:19 as a reply to  @ jackied's post |  #3

Using the information provided and running it through the Getty Images price calculator the $5000 is not that far off. I was given a quote of $4705 for the photo using all the variables we were given.

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by BlakeC.

Oct 12, 2015 15:39 |  #4

the flying moose wrote in post #17742761 (external link)
Using the information provided and running it through the Getty Images price calculator the $5000 is not that far off. I was given a quote of $4705 for the photo using all the variables we were given.

I would feel a little ripped off charging too much less. Maybe $3500-$5k. You can always re-negotiate too. But if you come in too high, they may just say screw it and not even counter.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,887 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 13, 2015 12:07 |  #5

the flying moose wrote in post #17742761 (external link)

I'm following this, and will be interested in seeing what the OP eventually gets. I believe that the final figure will be less than 50% of that $4705. Significantly less than 50%, in fact. I'm thinking about $1200 - $1500.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

panthersdan
125 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 15, 2015 20:58 |  #6

If the agency is Federal, then you they will have procurement rules. Without a contract and any competition the current limit on a "micro-purchase" for a service is $2,500. For a good ("supply item") it's $3,500.

Also, if it is Federal and you charge more than $2,500 ($2,499.99 to be precise), you may have to register with the System for Award Management (www.sam.gov), and while doable, it's a bit of a bureaucratic pain.

Having said all that, it's your time, effort, and work product, so you need to charge an amount you feel is fair and equitable.

5D Gripped - 50D Gripped - 16-35L - 24-70L - 70-200 2.8 IS - 100 2.8 Macro - 580EX II - Kata 3N1-30

PhotosGuy
75,764 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 17, 2015 08:46 |  #7

panthersdan wrote in post #17747196 (external link)
If the agency is Federal, then you they will have procurement rules. Without a contract and any competition the current limit on a "micro-purchase" for a service is $2,500. For a good ("supply item") it's $3,500.

Also, if it is Federal and you charge more than $2,500 ($2,499.99 to be precise), you may have to register with the System for Award Management (www.sam.gov), and while doable, it's a bit of a bureaucratic pain.

Having said all that, it's your time, effort, and work product, so you need to charge an amount you feel is fair and equitable.

So can we be creative & charge $2,500 for the use in the brochure. Charge $2,500 on a separate invoice for the web use for one year.
Etc?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,089 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 17, 2015 09:16 |  #8

I rather doubt you'll find a government agency laying out that kind of cash for an image.

pski
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 21, 2015 22:35 |  #9

thank you for everyone's comments and thoughts....

Mike "Pski"
http://www.mp-photography.net (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 21, 2015 22:47 |  #10

Knowing that all government agencies pay always between 3 to 6 month later, i was never scared to charge them the amount i want to ... and i don't speak only for photography ...

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,887 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 21, 2015 23:34 |  #11

pski wrote in post #17755319 (external link)
thank you for everyone's comments and thoughts....

You're welcome.
Can you keep us updated as to the details of your negotiation/transactio​n, and how things progress? It'd be great to have a record of your communication with the agency posted here for our benefit.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

1,850 views & 4 likes for this thread
Pricing question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.