Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Oct 2015 (Monday) 19:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100-400 Mark II Periodic Failure to Focus

SteveHS
65 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 12, 2015 19:37 |  #1

I am generally very satisfied with my Canon 100-400mm Mark II. However, from time to time it will not autofocus when I move from a far subject to a near subject, or the opposite. It's not that it hunts for a while, it simply never gets started. I have to manually change the focus to something close to the subject and then autofocus kicks in. This seems to be happening more recently. Have others had this problem? Is it a characteristic of this lens, or do I need to have it fixed? I had the original 100-400 for many years and didn't have this issue. My camera is a Canon 7D.

Thanks

Steve
Gear: 7D w 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and 100-400; Fujifilm X20

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 12, 2015 19:40 |  #2

SteveHS wrote in post #17743023 (external link)
I am generally very satisfied with my Canon 100-400mm Mark II. However, from time to time it will not autofocus when I move from a far subject to a near subject, or the opposite. It's not that it hunts for a while, it simply never gets started. I have to manually change the focus to something close to the subject and then autofocus kicks in. This seems to be happening more recently. Have others had this problem? Is it a characteristic of this lens, or do I need to have it fixed? I had the original 100-400 for many years and didn't have this issue. My camera is a Canon 7D.

Thanks

There is a custom function that tells the camera whether to keep hunting if it finds AF lock "impossible" (or similar wording). See if that is set to "stop".

Cheers, Damien

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 12, 2015 20:09 |  #3

Mine sometimes won't AF when I attach it to my 1D MKIV and have it set at 400mm. Like yours it does not hunt, it just doesn't do anything. As soon as I turn it to a lower focal lenght, AF kicks in immediately and for the rest of the day it'll work fine at all focal lengths. It's the weirdest thing!

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,307 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 12, 2015 20:10 |  #4

manual focus to get in the neighborhood. at least that's what I do.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 13, 2015 03:11 |  #5

dodgyexposure wrote in post #17743029 (external link)
There is a custom function that tells the camera whether to keep hunting if it finds AF lock "impossible" (or similar wording). See if that is set to "stop".

I will go with this as the explanation. When you have a very great disparity in where the focus is, and where it should be for the subject, then with longer focal lengths the image is so out of focus there is practically zero contrast to focus on. The reason you might want to stop the lens from driving in this situation, hence the custom camera function, is that if you are tracking a small subject against a plain background, say a bird or aeroplane against the sky, if the AF points temporarily lose the subject you don't want the lens to start hunting by moving from approx infinity to MFD, and back. Infinity to MFD and back can take quite a long time, and while it is happening trying to track the subject can be really difficult.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,074 views & 0 likes for this thread
100-400 Mark II Periodic Failure to Focus
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.