Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Oct 2015 (Monday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I got a 1D Mk iii.

f1.4bthere
141 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by f1.4bthere.

Oct 12, 2015 20:01 |  #1

I decided I wanted a Canon digital to go along with my old EOS 630 so I can use my Canon lenses alot more. Found a well used 1d III with battery and charger at Roberts Camera for 400usd. I wanted a larger than APS-C sensor so the 24-105L will still be a fairly wide lens. Probably could have found a 5d or 1Ds in the same price range but I wanted a newer model with higher ISOs, AF micro adjust, and live view. I won't get a long lens for it because for wildlife I'll use my Nikon APS-C cameras with the 300 f/4. Plan on mostly using it for landscapes and portraits. I look forward to my first Canon DSLR arriving in the big brown UPS truck :-)

Bill in Houston Texas
Digital-Nikons D7100, D300, D40, Canon 1D Mk III. And a collection of film cameras.

sponsored links
lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 12, 2015 20:43 |  #2

Congrats! I agree that for that price range, it is the biggest sensor with those features, but keep an open mind, the AF system is not too shabby for that wildlife. On the opposite end, adapting your film lenses is another thing to look into. The larger sized pixels and the 1.3 crop factor makes decent manual glass really shine.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

Ajfb004
40 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Oct 12, 2015 21:47 |  #3

I've been looking for one too. That's a great price also . What kind of condition is it in.

f1.4bthere
THREAD ­ STARTER
141 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 12, 2015 22:01 |  #4

Ajfb004 wrote in post #17743191 (external link)
I've been looking for one too. That's a great price also . What kind of condition is it in.

Roberts listed it in Good condition. By the description and pics I'd say that's equivilent to KEH's Bargain grade. Right now Robert's has a few of the 1D Mk iii in Good condition for $400 or 450. But some of the ones for $400 do not come with a charger.

Bill in Houston Texas
Digital-Nikons D7100, D300, D40, Canon 1D Mk III. And a collection of film cameras.

f1.4bthere
THREAD ­ STARTER
141 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 12, 2015 22:04 |  #5

lilkngster wrote in post #17743108 (external link)
Congrats! I agree that for that price range, it is the biggest sensor with those features, but keep an open mind, the AF system is not too shabby for that wildlife. On the opposite end, adapting your film lenses is another thing to look into. The larger sized pixels and the 1.3 crop factor makes decent manual glass really shine.

Which lenses are you referring to?

Bill in Houston Texas

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 12, 2015 22:20 |  #6

I love my 1D3 for sports and while on assignments for the newspaper I freelance for. I was out in a shoot a few weeks back and it was down pouring hard. The 1D3 and 70-200 2.8 II combo handled it like a champ while other cameras were ducking for cover.

texaskev
Goldmember
1,407 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 13, 2015 02:38 |  #7

I just sold my 1D3 after several years of outstanding service. I miss it! For the price they just can't be beat right now.

Canon 1DX II, 1DX, 11-24 F4 L, 100 F2.8 L, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L II, 70-200 F2.8 L II

Canon ­ Amateur
249 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 13, 2015 03:57 |  #8

f1.4bthere wrote in post #17743055 (external link)
... but I wanted a newer model with higher ISOs, AF micro adjust, and live view.

I also picked up a 1D mark III at a bargain price.
It perfectly suits me for what I want in sports photography.
I even prefer the 1D mark III over my 7D for sports.
With the 1.3 crop sensor I can lower the ISO while maintaining high shutterspeeds and having less noise at the end.
This surprised me very much compared to the 7D.
The other big surprise is the number of pictures I can take with a full battery.

The only drawback I encountered was that when in LiveView mode you don't have AF, only manual focus.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / Canon EOS M3 / Lytro illum

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,803 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 13, 2015 04:00 |  #9

True. The 40D, launched right after the 1D Mark III, was the first model with any kind of AF support in live view.

Anders

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,404 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 13, 2015 04:08 |  #10

I still maintain that the 1D MK III is a better camera than I am a photographer...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 13, 2015 05:21 as a reply to  @ f1.4bthere's post |  #11

Depending on the flange distance, certain brands of legacy glass take a simple adapter (basically a spacer to get the distance from the rear element to the sensor correct) to mount on EOS. Nikkor, m42, C/Y, Olympus, Pentax, Leica R, and others are straight forward. Others, such as Minolta, Konica, and Canon FD need an adapter with a glass element (the lens would have to lie inside the EOS mount to get infinity) which affects IQ.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,766 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 13, 2015 06:15 |  #12

1D mkIII is a fine camera, i was using it as my main body for sports until i bought 1DX, and it is now my backup camera and still have use when needed, i am thinking to sell it due to new cameras are there, but i am not in rush if i didn't sell it, it will be always available until i can say goodbye one day.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,282 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 13, 2015 07:00 |  #13

Canon Amateur wrote in post #17743426 (external link)
I also picked up a 1D mark III at a bargain price.
It perfectly suits me for what I want in sports photography.
I even prefer the 1D mark III over my 7D for sports.
With the 1.3 crop sensor I can lower the ISO while maintaining high shutterspeeds and having less noise at the end.
This surprised me very much compared to the 7D.
The other big surprise is the number of pictures I can take with a full battery.

The only drawback I encountered was that when in LiveView mode you don't have AF, only manual focus.

I found very little difference in ISO performance between the 7D and 1D3, at least at high ISO levels. The 1D3 is a very good camera, and at a $500 price point, it is an outstanding deal. Pixel density is in the favor of the 7D as well especially if you are reach limited with the 1D3 and resize up from time to time.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1286844

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
1,981 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by urbanfreestyle.

Oct 13, 2015 07:16 |  #14

Welcome to the club! I have had a 1D3, sold it and then bought it back. there is something about it i can't put my finger on. much like the 5Dc.
it's a great camera, pretty damn bulletproof :-)
You'll have a great time with it! Enjoy!!!!

Dont forget to pop over to the 1D Mark III page and share some images!

Facebook (external link)
Fuji XE1 | Fuji 18-55 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Pentacon 135mm f2.8 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera | Zenit EM 35mm camera |

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 13, 2015 11:04 |  #15

Canon Amateur wrote in post #17743426 (external link)

I was also blown away by this the first time I noticed how good the battery life was. According to the camera, I had taken roughly 1700 shots and was still at 40% battery left.

sponsored links

5,951 views & 6 likes for this thread
I got a 1D Mk iii.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.