Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 12 Oct 2015 (Monday) 02:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A question for the network geeks. Tim (lol)?

flowrider
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 12, 2015 02:46 |  #1

I like to think of myself as a bit of a geek. I like tech but can't program and my networking knowledge is somewhat rudimentary. I just wanted to ask people in the know if my lan addresses are correct for what I'm doing because for certain things such as alarm monitoring, I'm having connecting issues.

My network looks like this:
Provider modem/router - 192.168.1.254
Router (Asus AC68) - 192.168.1.1
Router set as access point - 192.168.1.2

I guess my question is everything in the correct range? I read about it but the more I read the more confused I get.

Thanks!

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sponsored links
Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,773 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Oct 12, 2015 20:38 |  #2

yes, your home network is considered a private network.

Private networks can either be 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,089 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 13, 2015 00:05 |  #3

How is this all connected? Typically, you shouldn't have two routers on a small home network. You can do double NAT, but its generally avoided if possible. Remember, each side of a router (LAN and WAN in the case of a consumer router) needs to be on a different subnet. ie. 192.168.1.1 on the WAN side and 192.168.2.1 on the LAN side, for example. If both sides have are on the same subnet, it won't work.

morpheus6d9
433 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 13, 2015 11:46 |  #4

yes why 2 routers ?

50D | 60mm f/2.8 macro |Tokina 12-24 f/4 | Nifty-Fifty | SB-20 | 580 EXII

flowrider
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 13, 2015 12:02 |  #5

Thanks for your help everyone.

Why do I have 2 routers? Well I setup my house like this:

Telus modem bridged to Asus AC68 running Merlin firmware so that it can run OpenVPN for my Private Internet Access account. The AC68 routes the traffic to a switch which feeds ethernet to the rest of the house. Problem is the router is in the garage which doesn't give the necessary wifi range. I purchased another Asus router, AC66, and set it up as an access point to feed wifi signal to the house.

Why 2 routers? Because it was easier to setup the OpenVPN that way. I had a pfSense box before but need to rebuild it as it was becoming unstable.

I set the IP address of the access point to 192.168.1.2. I hope that's okay. I seem to access the admin panel just fine.

~Steve~

morpheus6d9
433 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 13, 2015 12:19 as a reply to  @ flowrider's post |  #6

ok got it
setting the ip addy to the one specified is ok

50D | 60mm f/2.8 macro |Tokina 12-24 f/4 | Nifty-Fifty | SB-20 | 580 EXII

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,089 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 13, 2015 13:18 |  #7

OK, so if the Telus box is in bridge mode and connected to the WAN side of the AC68, the AC68 is getting a public IP on the WAN interface and has 192.168.1.1 on the LAN side. That makes the AC68 the one and only router in the network. That's fine. The access point IP is fine too, as long as that address is outside of the AC68's DHCP scope to avoid an IP address conflict with another device.

flowrider
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 13, 2015 13:31 |  #8

Thanks guys. Mike that last part about DHCP went over my head! I really need to read up on this stuff and learn it. I even have a Masters in Educational Technology but didn't learn any technology in the course, just theories!

I think I need to rebuild/build a new pfSense box. The hit to throughput is brutal. The AC68 is in tough for OpenVPN as it just doesn't have enough processing power but I love that I can selectively put devices and computers on the VPN service.

~Steve~

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,089 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 13, 2015 13:37 |  #9

flowrider wrote in post #17744041 (external link)
Thanks guys. Mike that last part about DHCP went over my head! I really need to read up on this stuff and learn it. I even have a Masters in Educational Technology but didn't learn any technology in the course, just theories!

I think I need to rebuild/build a new pfSense box. The hit to throughput is brutal. The AC68 is in tough for OpenVPN as it just doesn't have enough processing power but I love that I can selectively put devices and computers on the VPN service.

DHCP is the process where a device can get an IP address automatically. Consumer routers all come out of the box with their DHCP server running so you can plug a computer in and and connected. So in the AC68's config page, look for DHCP server configuration options. You will have the option to choose what range of IP addresses it hands out. For example, it might be 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.254. You wouldn't want to statically assign a device an address within that range since the AC68 could assign that same address automatically to another PC, printer, phone, etc.

flowrider
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 13, 2015 13:50 |  #10

mike_d wrote in post #17744046 (external link)
DHCP is the process where a device can get an IP address automatically. Consumer routers all come out of the box with their DHCP server running so you can plug a computer in and and connected. So in the AC68's config page, look for DHCP server configuration options. You will have the option to choose what range of IP addresses it hands out. For example, it might be 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.254. You wouldn't want to statically assign a device an address within that range since the AC68 could assign that same address automatically to another PC, printer, phone, etc.

Super helpful thanks! No if only I can figure out how to get my port fowarding correct so that I can access my security system from outside my network! Was thinking of doing my own hosted cloud storage as well but that may be more trouble than it's worth.

~Steve~

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,089 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 13, 2015 15:12 |  #11

flowrider wrote in post #17744064 (external link)
Super helpful thanks! No if only I can figure out how to get my port fowarding correct so that I can access my security system from outside my network! Was thinking of doing my own hosted cloud storage as well but that may be more trouble than it's worth.

When forwarding ports through a NAT router, make sure the device you're trying to reach has a static IP address, ie 192.168.1.10. You may also want to look into a dynamic DNS service so you can access flowrider.dyndns.org instead of your randomly changing public IP address. I'm sure the AC68 supports several dynamic DNS services.

tim
Light Bringer
50,920 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 13, 2015 16:07 |  #12

I'm not a networking expert. So long as as you only have one router doing DCHP it should be fine, just make sure nothing's in the DCHP range. The second access point that's just an AP should have DCHP passthrough enabled.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

flowrider
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 13, 2015 17:32 |  #13

mike_d wrote in post #17744158 (external link)
When forwarding ports through a NAT router, make sure the device you're trying to reach has a static IP address, ie 192.168.1.10. You may also want to look into a dynamic DNS service so you can access flowrider.dyndns.org instead of your randomly changing public IP address. I'm sure the AC68 supports several dynamic DNS services.

Thanks. I've been working on this for months and still haven't been able to figure it out. My neighbour who installed the system can't even figure it out and it did work with the previous owner. Something is amiss, just not too sure what.

~Steve~

flowrider
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 13, 2015 17:33 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #14

Thanks Tim. I only said your name because your so active in this part of the forum.

~Steve~

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,089 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 13, 2015 19:21 as a reply to  @ flowrider's post |  #15

What port are you trying to forward? Telus may be blocking it if it's common port like 80.

sponsored links

2,041 views & 2 likes for this thread
A question for the network geeks. Tim (lol)?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.