Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 13 Oct 2015 (Tuesday) 16:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&H - How they treat their workers...

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by ksbal.

Oct 13, 2015 16:49 |  #1

This is very disturbing if proven true.

Workers claim unsafe conditions (external link)

"In the main B&H warehouse located in Brooklyn’s Navy Yard, the walls and ceilings are insulated with fiberglass that fills the air and flecks off onto the worker’s skin, causing rashes, respiration problems and daily nosebleeds, employees say. Inside a second warehouse, on Evergreen Avenue in Brooklyn, employees say they have worked amid asbestos-insulated tubing. “They would tell us to clean the tubes,” recalled maintenance worker Miguel Angel Muñoz Meneses, “but nobody wanted to touch them.”

The men, many of whom are undocumented, testify of suffering from kidney stones, dizziness and fainting after being denied access to water or bathroom breaks. They say there is often a lack of basic safety equipment. “If we ask for gloves, they answer that they do not have gloves, because gloves are too expensive,” said Isaias Rojas, a B&H employee.

One man reported he was badly cut while lifting boxes, and the managers refused to call an ambulance, instead advising him to simply wait until the bleeding stopped. Another said a manager threw hot water on him and slapped his face. Others report those who complain are fired or threatened with deportation.

“They treat us as if we were animals,” Florencio Salgado said. “We are involved in this because we are tired of being abused.”"

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links
ProD1gy_KiD
894 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 13, 2015 19:23 |  #2

that's crazy 'cause i was just there this past sunday and as soon as i walked out the store, there was people rallying. i didnt pay much attention to it but im pretty sure it involves this issue.

Artdime
273 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 13, 2015 20:42 |  #3

ksbal wrote in post #17744277 (external link)
This is very disturbing if proven true.

Absolutely agree. Thanks for posting this issue, I had no idea.

- Florian
http://artdime.com (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,347 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by texkam.

Oct 13, 2015 23:04 |  #4

Sounds like Union propaganda. I'm sure there is truth to this, as well as an agenda to be pushed. Interested in learning all the facts. No one should be mistreated on the job. : (

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,743 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by OhLook.

Oct 13, 2015 23:31 |  #5

texkam wrote in post #17744691 (external link)
Sounds like Union propaganda.

Really? It sounds to me like what can happen when there's no union.

Indeed, according to the article, these workers don't have a union.

“We are here today to demand our rights,” declared B&H worker Raul Pedraza, minutes before he, Orellana and dozens of their co-workers flooded into the megastore in Manhattan to deliver a letter listing their demands, which include safer working conditions, fewer hours and a recognition of their petition to join the United Steelworkers union.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

morpheus6d9
435 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 13, 2015 23:32 |  #6

Lol why im not surprised

50D | 60mm f/2.8 macro |Tokina 12-24 f/4 | Nifty-Fifty | SB-20 | 580 EXII

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,347 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 14, 2015 01:47 |  #7

@Oh,
Not disagreeing with you. Read my post. I'm smart enough to know that quite often the real story lies somewhere in the middle. I'm certainly not going to base a buying decision on just one article. On the other hand, if this proves to be 100% true, how many here will have the guts to follow through and not do business with them? And if you think you'll just switch to Amazon, read this. OMG!
http://www.ibtimes.com …odel-internet-age-1514780 (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 14, 2015 02:03 |  #8

OhLook wrote in post #17744713 (external link)
Really? It sounds to me like what can happen when there's no union.

Indeed, according to the article, these workers don't have a union.

Uh, you noticed that the USW is trying to get them to unionize right? This sort of thing is exactly what you see when unions try to move in. I'm not saying that it's not true, but I've seen unions in action and believe me, hyperbole can be quite the understatement.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,743 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 14, 2015 10:54 |  #9

texkam wrote in post #17744810 (external link)
@Oh, . . . I'm certainly not going to base a buying decision on just one article. On the other hand, if this proves to be 100% true, how many here will have the guts to follow through and not do business with them? And if you think you'll just switch to Amazon, read this. OMG!
http://www.ibtimes.com …odel-internet-age-1514780 (external link)

I decided some time ago not to deal with Amazon. Their effect on the disappearance of independent bookstores gave me a bad feeling. Then I read about their business practices. But why give more credence to reports about Amazon than to this report about B&H?

I'd rather shop locally anyway. It's better for the local economy if you don't send your consumer dollars out of town.

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17744816 (external link)
Uh, you noticed that the USW is trying to get them to unionize right?

I noticed that a substantial number of the workers were trying to unionize.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 14, 2015 11:29 |  #10

A couple years back they were found to be paying their minority and woman workers less for the same work, to make it go away they just settled out of court.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Alveric.

Oct 14, 2015 11:30 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

OhLook wrote in post #17745175 (external link)
[..]I'd rather shop locally anyway. It's better for the local economy if you don't send your consumer dollars out of town[..]

Unfortunately, local stores hardly carry what you need anymore. I've been in need of sheets of colour correction gels for some time: NO local store carries them, even other large stores in Ontario don't have them. B&H or Adorama are the only choices. The same is true for most of the equipment I need. Heck, not even gaffer tape do these places have, ain't that ridiculous?

Regardless, and even though I'm strongly anti-unions and fiercely opposed to illegal immigration, I'm disgusted with B&H. I just hope Adorama isn't doing the same thing.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,499 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 14, 2015 11:59 |  #12

Alveric wrote in post #17745221 (external link)
.....I just hope Adorama isn't doing the same thing.

The guys in our warehouse DID ask for union representation; I think it was about a year ago, and I know with 100% certainty that some statements that were made at the time were very obviously and proveably completely made up - to the point of silliness! All the relevant paperwork and procedures were put in place....and the workers changed their minds!! No idea why.

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 14, 2015 16:24 |  #13

Hmm, the article was published in aljazeera.com. Anti-Semitic bias? Just saying ...

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickr (external link)Feedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 14, 2015 18:21 |  #14

chantu wrote in post #17745579 (external link)
Hmm, the article was published in aljazeera.com. Anti-Semitic bias? Just saying ...

LOL seriously? "Additional reporting by Jonah Markowitz"

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Furlan
736 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 14, 2015 18:36 |  #15

This saying is very old but definitely applies today. Don't believe anything you hear or read and
only half of what you see. Judging by some of these posts some of you seem to be quite gullible.

sponsored links

18,609 views & 53 likes for this thread
B&H - How they treat their workers...
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.