Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Feb 2015 (Monday) 19:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

It's no longer a rumor. The G3X is for real (1-inch sensor and 25x zoom)

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 18, 2015 19:51 |  #76

Okay, I took mine to the zoo and gave it a good, hard workout. Fast moving animals, flowers, extreme contrast, focus against glass, the works. It worked like a champ. Focus was reasonably fast (a squeak slower than my DLSRs but that's okay) and accurate. At the extreme zoom, a support would be useful, it does wobble a tiny bit. Not much but if you like needle sharp images, either up your ISO for a faster shutter speed or use a support. I like the fact that the camera is logically laid out, so you don't struggle to figure out settings. It's not heavy to hold and it fits into the hand comfortably.

It did fail to focus on a dragonfly on a flower, I think that was partially the camera and partially user error. I'm still learning all the features, so I didn't figure out how to zero in on a small insect fast enough to get the shot. It handled back lighting extremely well, even a xeriscape desert garden, with tall narrow cacti was correctly focused and exposed.

I really do like this camera. It will replace both my old SX-40 which was superb and my Fujifilm XE2 which will probably be sold.

sponsored links
WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 13, 2015 19:03 |  #77

So how are we finding this camera now? I am thinking of getting one. Where is the photo thread for this camera too please?

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,620 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 13, 2015 19:32 |  #78

Me too. It's was 899 at bh

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 13, 2015 23:48 |  #79

Tommydigi wrote in post #17744466 (external link)
Me too. It's was 899 at bh

I cant get it for that in Aus, best I can do is Ebay at $1,119

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,620 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 14, 2015 15:33 |  #80

I feel like the market is so flooded with smaller cameras right now its hard to pick. G5x, G9x as well as the new M10.

I've heard very little about this camera.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 14, 2015 16:21 |  #81

I have the G1 X now and I am tossing up between the G1 X II or the G3, from what I have seen and read the G3 is more superior. I wouldn't mind seeing more photo examples though and hearing from some owners before I commit.

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 16, 2015 20:20 as a reply to  @ WA Tiger's post |  #82

i'm having issues figuring out how to post pictures from Flickr, or I would gladly share. (If anyone can provide a clear explanation, I'd be super grateful. I used to be able to do it but the process has changed and I'm stumped)

I did take it out for another workout. I found it just as good as before, but it is an awkward fit in my purse. It's easier to bring a camera bag that can hold my other stuff in addition to my camera, than the other way around. I like it very much but I think I will use it for "photo trips" rather than trips where I happen to have a camera. I am going to NY next week as a tourist but will not bring the camera for the reasons cited above. It's a trip to visit family, not a formal photo expedition. My photo expeditions have been known to alarm folks. I don't eat and will spend a long time photographing just one rock. :-P

I met a Canon rep who told me the G3 is a cousin to the SX40 and other such cameras, rather than a direct descendant or parent design. I'm fascinated by the logic behind Canon's product lines. Why they do what they do is puzzling to me, but I guess it's market driven.

Judder ­ Man
759 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by Judder Man. (3 edits in all)

Oct 19, 2015 16:47 |  #83

Available from Digital Rev for £489 or $760, I don't know why canon have gone to the extreme of 24-600 knowing there will be an IQ drop off along the zoom range. Its quite a heavy compact coming in at a massive 739 grams. Would like to see some Images at 600mm, I'm not sure you can hand hold at this extreme, its quite a slow set up with f5.6 @ 600mm and its best shutter speed of 1/2000.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

sponsored links

25,680 views & 9 likes for this thread
It's no longer a rumor. The G3X is for real (1-inch sensor and 25x zoom)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.