Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2015 (Wednesday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7x lounge

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,946 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 15, 2015 15:26 |  #7741

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17746824 (external link)
As promised to self I took the 55/1.8 out today. An excuse to show you guys where I live and try to get to grips with a focal length I have little use for, besides the focal length the lens does have its positives, for one it is preciously lightweight and who couldn't love its colors and aperture.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ySV6​FR  (external link) Ripshin in her fall dress (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/zxbW​th  (external link) Moss and Roof (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

Beautiful scenery around you! I live in the concrete and suburban jungle.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

sponsored links
xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,017 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 15, 2015 15:29 |  #7742

medicineman, I guess from you username you are in the medical profession but if you dont mind me asking what is it you do? (no worries if you dont want to divulge but I have been curious about it)

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,379 posts
Gallery: 1835 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 15, 2015 15:48 as a reply to  @ post 17746641 |  #7743

'add a new processor, support UHS-II cards, increase the burst rate, further refine the PDAF to truly bridge the gap between mirrorless and DSLR, and...' And you'd have a more viable wildlife machine. The only thing that I've seen so far doing BIFs with the Rii + 70-400g, even more important than the frame rate, is the EVF refresh rate. It's just not fast enough for a true BIFer and thus fast sports. I would think a new more powerful processor can help that along as well.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,946 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 15, 2015 15:51 |  #7744

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17746853 (external link)
'add a new processor, support UHS-II cards, increase the burst rate, further refine the PDAF to truly bridge the gap between mirrorless and DSLR, and...' And you'd have a more viable wildlife machine. The only thing that I've seen so far doing BIFs with the Rii + 70-400g, even more important than the frame rate, is the EVF refresh rate. It's just not fast enough for a true BIFer and thus fast sports. I would think a new more powerful processor can help that along as well.

Yeah the processor is the biggest bottleneck, IMO. We need a more efficient one not only for performance, but battery consumption and heat. Of all the wonderful things they put in the II version of the a7 bodies.....they didn't update the processor.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

MedicineMan4040
18,379 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 15, 2015 15:51 as a reply to  @ post 17746714 |  #7745

Vin the Rii is already outdated. Sad but true. 18 months max until Riii. Which means I need to get my Rii on the buy/sell at FredMiranda in 12-16 months. I think I anticipated well this last sell off and didn't take a blood bath, in fact I lost more money selling off the 5Diii.

flickr (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,017 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by xpfloyd.

Oct 15, 2015 15:52 |  #7746

With regards to heat i have ordered a dummy battery and an external 10000mah power pack. Going to see if it cures the LE heat issues. Worst case scenario nothing changes but I have a really long battery life for landscaping which will help for my upcoming project

Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Puckman.

Oct 15, 2015 16:08 |  #7747

maverick75 wrote in post #17746792 (external link)
I went out at 9PM and nothing, then 2 hours later we were getting bombarder here in Riverside. Biggest storm I've ever seen hit us. So much Thunder and Lighting. Until 4 in the morning.

Kinda ironic how I check my mailbox and I get the "you're only allowed to water twice a week now" drought postcard.

Well, supposedly, even with a record El Nino winter forecast for 2016, we're still so far in the hole when it comes to water reserves that they think we'll still be "in drought".

What's really ironic is that I seem to live in a pocket of "No Rain". We didn't get a single drop yesterday here in Yorba Linda. It was pouring down in Riverside (which is only a few miles away as the crow flies, behind those sets of ridges that separate us). My friends along teh coastal areas were reporting lightning shows. Same with a friend who lives in Simi. In the meantime, I sat in my backyard looking at a semi-clear sky, a mediocre sunset, and absolutely no rain...

mystik610 wrote in post #17746830 (external link)
Beautiful scenery around you! I live in the concrete and suburban jungle.

Same here. I'm so over the suburbs.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 15, 2015 16:19 |  #7748

xpfloyd wrote in post #17746795 (external link)
trying to get my head around how this would work. You can't increase the image circle of the lens so the only way I can think this works is by cropping?

Some lenses have image circles much much bigger, I've seen medium format guys use 35mm lenses. Just this week I saw a Canon EF 800mm on a Pentax 67 body. 6x7 is gigantic compared to 35mm, I know since I shoot my RB67 daily.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

MedicineMan4040
18,379 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 15, 2015 16:33 as a reply to  @ xpfloyd's post |  #7749

Brilliant!!!
Now after you get the parts/pieces please teach me the connections/wiring. Is it a simple matter of cutting/stripping/sold​ering?
On one timelapse with the Rii I used a Patriot fuel cell and powered via the USB but duh that blocks the USB which I wanted to go to the Syrp Genie so the Genie could trigger the firing/stop-move-shoot.
It's good that we can use the USB not only to charge but power the Rii but the dummy battery has its place too.

Eddie- my moniker here is my 'trail name'. I've been hiking/backpacking on the Appalachian Trail for 34+ years, some sections I've done 19 times :) On the AT we use trail names, and for several reasons=anonymity and they are easy to remember=no one remembers Joe Smith. Trail names are given to you by other hikers. When on the AT in Georgia my oldest daughter was hiking with me during thru-hiker season and she noticed everyone had a trail name. She then said 'dad you need a trail name and it should be MedicineMan'. I said 'why because I'm a pharmacist?' and she said 'no because of all the pills you take!'
There you go, true story :)

My other hobby is bushcraft and if you are lost in the Appalachian woodlands you'd want me there for rudimentary medicines crafted from the plants and an expansive plant knowledge on edibles. I am also versed in trapping and woodcraft but am generally a week hunter (even with a camera!).

flickr (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,017 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 15, 2015 16:51 |  #7750

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17746903 (external link)
Brilliant!!!
Now after you get the parts/pieces please teach me the connections/wiring. Is it a simple matter of cutting/stripping/sold​ering?
On one timelapse with the Rii I used a Patriot fuel cell and powered via the USB but duh that blocks the USB which I wanted to go to the Syrp Genie so the Genie could trigger the firing/stop-move-shoot.
It's good that we can use the USB not only to charge but power the Rii but the dummy battery has its place too.

Eddie- my moniker here is my 'trail name'. I've been hiking/backpacking on the Appalachian Trail for 34+ years, some sections I've done 19 times :) On the AT we use trail names, and for several reasons=anonymity and they are easy to remember=no one remembers Joe Smith. Trail names are given to you by other hikers. When on the AT in Georgia my oldest daughter was hiking with me during thru-hiker season and she noticed everyone had a trail name. She then said 'dad you need a trail name and it should be MedicineMan'. I said 'why because I'm a pharmacist?' and she said 'no because of all the pills you take!'
There you go, true story :)

My other hobby is bushcraft and if you are lost in the Appalachian woodlands you'd want me there for rudimentary medicines crafted from the plants and an expansive plant knowledge on edibles. I am also versed in trapping and woodcraft but am generally a week hunter (even with a camera!).

Well thanks for fixing my curiosity. You sound like you lead the life I want to live with regards to hiking and backpacking which is what I love, just not getting the time for it these days.

With regards to my diy power setup the reason I opted for the dummy battery and not powering by usb was because I think the heat is from the battery so want to completely remove it. The setup I've went for is plug and play however I'm a bit concerned as my supply is 9v and a fully charged Sony battery is around 8.5v (although rated at7.2v) so not sure if a bit to high. I've found a solution though, you can get led voltage regulators for about £5 which I will solder into the wire feeding the dummy battery. That way I can ensure I won't nuke my camera. Once I get the parts I will post a list and some photos (and also my findings after some long exposures)

Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

ProD1gy_KiD
894 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 15, 2015 17:32 |  #7751

I just got my a7ii yesterday but still waiting for my lens :( doesnt come in til monday. Btw anybody ran into any issues with the watson batteries/charger?

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 15, 2015 17:40 |  #7752

I use the Wasabi kit (2 extra batteries plus charger). It works great.

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 15, 2015 17:49 |  #7753

Puckman wrote in post #17746979 (external link)

+1 on that. Nice to have an external charger too.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,131 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 15, 2015 18:08 |  #7754

Puckman wrote in post #17746979 (external link)

Same here. Got mine on Amazon for around $25.

Tim

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 15, 2015 18:12 |  #7755

ProD1gy_KiD wrote in post #17746971 (external link)
I just got my a7ii yesterday but still waiting for my lens :( doesnt come in til monday. Btw anybody ran into any issues with the watson batteries/charger?

I got lucky and mine came with a Sony external charger and battery, but on my EOS M I've been using the wasabi units for 2 years with zero issues.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links

4,022,835 views & 33,338 likes for this thread
Sony A7x lounge
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.