Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 17 Oct 2015 (Saturday) 00:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom shows strong red tint after upgrade to Windows 10

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,070 posts
Gallery: 350 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 17, 2015 00:56 |  #1

After an (unwilling) upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 yesterday, Lightroom (ver 5.7) now displays pictures in a strong reddish tint.

Colors were normal up until the upgrade to Win 10.

After the upgrade, Lightroom's picture display only is reddish. (The gray in Lightroom's frame is still a normal gray.)

Exported JPGs have normal colors and differ from the LR display.

Colors look normal in everything (Irfanview, browsers, GIMP, etc) EXCEPT in Lightroom

The reddish tint is apparent in all pics in LR (JPG and RAW, and from at least five different cameras)

Exported JPG pics do not have the reddish tint; they have the same colors as before the upgrade.

It is impossible to work in LR with pictures with this tint. Can anyone point me to a solution?

Examples follow. Below is an exported JPG and has normal colors.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

And below are bad colors as shown in a screen capture from LR in my Win 10.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links
the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 17, 2015 02:10 |  #2

Interesting. Lightroom did that exact same thing AFTER exporting on my last shoot. Darker with a reddish tint.

I am on the latest update of LR CC and using OSX El Capitan.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,455 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 17, 2015 06:15 |  #3

What graphics card? Have you installed the latest Win 10 driver?

Is your monitor calibrated? If yes, have you tried recalibrating? If no, what monitor profile is the OS using, a canned profile supplied by the maker? As a test, change the OS display setting to sRGB - does it make a difference in LR? Sometimes LR finds corruption or inadequancies in the profile that don't affect other apps.

Elie / אלי

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
8,070 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 17, 2015 11:57 |  #4

tzalman wrote in post #17748893 (external link)
What graphics card? Have you installed the latest Win 10 driver?

Is your monitor calibrated? If yes, have you tried recalibrating? If no, what monitor profile is the OS using, a canned profile supplied by the maker? As a test, change the OS display setting to sRGB - does it make a difference in LR? Sometimes LR finds corruption or inadequancies in the profile that don't affect other apps.

ATI graphics card, don't remember the kind, and I'm away from the computer now. The driver is from early this year, and was not updated after going to Win 10.

I have only done simple adjustments to the monitor, but it looked great before. How do I find the profile it is using?

How do I change the OS display setting?

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
8,070 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 17, 2015 13:17 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #5

OK, more info...

SyncMaster 2443 monitor
ATI FirePro V (FireGL V) Graphics Adapter, driver date 8/3/2015
Chip Type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x674A)

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
8,070 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 17, 2015 13:35 |  #6

Restarted LR and problem is now fixed. Colors are normal. Not sure what I did, if anything.

???

I wonder what it will do tomorrow.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bob_A. (6 edits in all)

Oct 17, 2015 13:45 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #7

Did you do an upgrade over top of Win 7 or a fresh install? I did a fresh install and LR6 is working fine for me.

• Start with getting the latest Win 10 driver for your ATI card.
  • If that doesn't work: Since you are adjusting things manually either with monitor controls or with Windows "Color Calibration" (and maybe in the ATI Catalyst software?) I'd be tempted to first put all of that stuff back to their defaults then see if the issue is still there.
  • If that doesn't work: I'd uninstall/reinstall LR.

If you are using a wide gamut monitor:

Also, if you have a wide gamut monitor don't use your desktop image as a guide to adjust colors or contrast under Windows "Color Calibration". With Windows 7 you could use an aRGB image for the desktop image and it will display correctly on a wide gamut monitor. With Win 8 they took away the ability to use an aRGB image unless you did some geeky things as a workaround. With Windows 10 they seemed to have even taken away the ability to do a workaround. As a result Win 10 forces you to always use an untagged sRGB image for the desktop, so the desktop image displays overly saturated and really contrasty (even the ones that come with Windows 10).

Soooo ... if you adjust things manually on a wide gamut monitor base you adjustments on what you see displayed in a proper color managed program, not what you see as the desktop image.

Also, instead of making manual adjustments maybe see if you can borrow a calibration device/software from someone or see if a pro camera shop will allow you to rent one for the weekend. If you do a proper calibration just make sure you set everything in Windows color calibration, the graphics card software and the monitor settings back to their defaults first.

For Win 10 you access "Color calibration" by:

1. Right clicking on the desktop
  2. Pick "Display Settings"
  3. If you have a dual monitor setup pick the display you want to adjust
  4. At the bottom of the screen pick "Advanced display settings"
  5. Under "Related Settings" near the bottom of the screen pick "Colour calibration"
  6. Follow the instructions :)

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
8,070 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 17, 2015 14:03 |  #8

Bob_A wrote in post #17749313 (external link)
Did you do an upgrade over top of Win 7 or a fresh install? I did a fresh install and LR6 is working fine for me.
  • Start with getting the latest Win 10 driver for your ATI card.
  • If that doesn't work: Since you are adjusting things manually either with monitor controls or with Windows "Color Calibration" (and maybe in the ATI Catalyst software?) I'd be tempted to first put all of that stuff back to their defaults then see if the issue is still there.
  • If that doesn't work: I'd uninstall/reinstall LR.

If you are using a wide gamut monitor:

Also, if you have a wide gamut monitor don't use your desktop image as a guide to adjust colors or contrast under Windows "Color Management". With Windows 7 you could use an aRGB image for the desktop image and it will display correctly on a wide gamut monitor. With Win 8 they took away the ability to use an aRGB image unless you did some geeky things as a workaround. With Windows 10 they seemed to have even taken away the ability to do a workaround. As a result Win 10 forces you to always use an untagged sRGB image for the desktop, so the image displays overly saturated and really contrasty.

Soooo ... if you adjust things manually on a wide gamut monitor base you adjustments on what you see displayed in a proper color managed program.

Also, instead of making manual adjustments maybe see if you can borrow a calibration device/software from someone or see if a pro camera shop will allow you to rent one for the weekend. If you do a proper calibration just make sure you set everything in Windows color management, the graphics card software and the monitor settings back to their defaults first.

As mentioned, the colors are OK (for now).

The issue was that LR was displaying pictures with a reddish tint, while everything else was displaying colors correctly. Exporting the poorly displaying pic from LR gave an exported JPG with the correct colors. This behaviour was the most telling: the color of the LR export was not consistent with what LR was displaying.

How could a miscalibrated monitor cause this?

My monitor (SyncMaster 2443) was set to "MagicColor", which I guess is a kind of automatic setting. I changed it to manual. I also did some diddling with brightness and contrast. Maybe that is what straightened LR out, after restarting LR.

Windows color management is something mysterious to me. Before the Win10 conversion, the displayed colors seemed fine, and sending files out for printing gave acceptable results, so I figured it might not be necessary to pursue this.

Is my SyncMaster a wide gamut monitor?

If necessary I will learn this color management thing, but I think it will take lots of time...

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 17, 2015 14:49 |  #9

Archibald wrote in post #17749342 (external link)
As mentioned, the colors are OK (for now).

The issue was that LR was displaying pictures with a reddish tint, while everything else was displaying colors correctly. Exporting the poorly displaying pic from LR gave an exported JPG with the correct colors. This behaviour was the most telling: the color of the LR export was not consistent with what LR was displaying.

How could a miscalibrated monitor cause this?

My monitor (SyncMaster 2443) was set to "MagicColor", which I guess is a kind of automatic setting. I changed it to manual. I also did some diddling with brightness and contrast. Maybe that is what straightened LR out, after restarting LR.

Windows color management is something mysterious to me. Before the Win10 conversion, the displayed colors seemed fine, and sending files out for printing gave acceptable results, so I figured it might not be necessary to pursue this.

Is my SyncMaster a wide gamut monitor?

If necessary I will learn this color management thing, but I think it will take lots of time...

I couldn't see a Win 10 driver for your monitor on the Samsung site so I'm thinking that there's a good possibility that Samsung MagicColor is incompatible. If turning it off fixed your problem then that's likely the culprit.

A corrupted monitor profile or a corrupted file used for LR startup could also cause problems for color managed programs like PS or LR. Often it's not the root cause though which is why you start with ensuring you have the most current drivers, put everything back to factory defaults and (as you did) turn off any feature that isn't compatible. :)

Bob

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,342 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 17, 2015 17:06 |  #10

I'm not much of a windows nerd, but I could see LR downloading a patch or updat of some sort after being started for the first time in win 10. Then you restart and it works fine.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bob_A.

Oct 18, 2015 00:18 |  #11

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17749512 (external link)
I'm not much of a windows nerd, but I could see LR downloading a patch or updat of some sort after being started for the first time in win 10. Then you restart and it works fine.

Sounds like this was a Samsung driver/software issue.

Bob

sponsored links

3,451 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom shows strong red tint after upgrade to Windows 10
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.