Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Jan 2012 (Friday) 12:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wein Safe Sync

dba1954
194 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 26, 2012 12:21 as a reply to  @ post 13831727 |  #16

i asked this question to Canon support last week for my Canon 5dM2 I just purchased. Their reply was :

Thank you for your inquiry about the hotshoe on the EOS 5D Mark II.
The hotshoe will safely work with trigger voltages up to 6 volts.
I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with the EOS 5D Mark II. Thank you for choosing Canon.
Sincerely,
Michael
Technical Support Representative

5DMK2, | 50mm f1.4 | 24-105mm f4.0L | 100mm f2.8L | 100mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L | 70-300mm f2.8L IS | EF 2x II | EF 1.4 II | Kenko's | Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash | Canon 270ex II flash | Canon 430ex III flash

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 17, 2015 22:17 |  #17

Wilt wrote in post #13825185 (external link)
Any CANON dSLR made ever since the 20D was launched (as of 2004 when Canon 20D was launched, and later) is safe to 250v trigger voltage, on both hotshoe and PC terminal ; the Sunpak trigger voltage is <250v (newer units 4v, but some old units have 190v)

I'm replying to this very old thread to say: I just bought a Wein safe-sync for my EOS Rebel XSi, which apparently came out around 2008. Having bought it, I then spaced out and put my Vivitar 3700 directly on the camera instead of using the safe-sync! I took about 10 shots using the flash and it worked fine without using the safe-sync. However, the built-in flash no longer pops up. The trigger voltage of the 3700 is supposedly between 9 and 9.5 volts.
I suppose it could be a coincidence that the built-in flash decided to break right after I put an old flash in the hot-shoe, but I really doubt it.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,190 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by gonzogolf.

Oct 17, 2015 22:43 |  #18

ncjohn wrote in post #17749816 (external link)
I'm replying to this very old thread to say: I just bought a Wein safe-sync for my EOS Rebel XSi, which apparently came out around 2008. Having bought it, I then spaced out and put my Vivitar 3700 directly on the camera instead of using the safe-sync! I took about 10 shots using the flash and it worked fine without using the safe-sync. However, the built-in flash no longer pops up. The trigger voltage of the 3700 is supposedly between 9 and 9.5 volts.
I suppose it could be a coincidence that the built-in flash decided to break right after I put an old flash in the hot-shoe, but I really doubt it.

It's likely that you've jammed the micro switch under the hotshoe rail. When it's depressed the popup won't pop-up. Take a straighted paperclip and try to jiggle the switch. Usually that fixes the problem.

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 17, 2015 23:12 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #19

Well, look at you! :-D I didn't even know there was one there. (Yes, that fixed it.)

So, I started to delete my previous post, but this is kind of educational in nature, so I'll leave it.

And, having made that many exposures without the safe-sync in place, can I assume that I don't, in fact, need it? The manual for the camera doesn't say anything about it except to say not to use a "high-voltage" flash because "it might not work."

Thanks a lot, gonzogolf.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,190 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 17, 2015 23:28 |  #20

ncjohn wrote in post #17749868 (external link)
Well, look at you! :-D I didn't even know there was one there. (Yes, that fixed it.)

So, I started to delete my previous post, but this is kind of educational in nature, so I'll leave it.

And, having made that many exposures without the safe-sync in place, can I assume that I don't, in fact, need it? The manual for the camera doesn't say anything about it except to say not to use a "high-voltage" flash because "it might not work."

Thanks a lot, gonzogolf.

You are welcome. Its a common fault.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,738 views & 1 like for this thread
Wein Safe Sync
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.