Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 12 Oct 2015 (Monday) 14:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WORLDWIDE PHOTO WEEK: Part 485 - Panorama

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,933 posts
Gallery: 280 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 17, 2015 05:35 |  #31

Those are great, Andy!
And I loved the VR version.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
joayne
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,779 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 17, 2015 13:09 |  #32

Love the VR versions Andy! If I hold down my mouse button, I can get dizzy!

Believe it or not, everytime I try to go out for my pano shots, it starts raining like mad with ground striking lightening and thunder that shakes the ground.
It is so unbelievable loud.. We are having 96F (35C) heat with total humidity.. Someday Fall and hopefully Winter will come :rolleyes:

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Klystron
Goldmember
2,718 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 17, 2015 14:04 |  #33

Thanks both, Joayne its been 14C (57F) here to day and trying to rain.

Sony A7R II, Sony A7 III, Sony A5000, G9
zenfolio (external link) - flickr (external link) - 500px (external link)

John_B
Cream of the Crop
7,091 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 17, 2015 19:18 |  #34

Thanks to Benitoite for being inventive, I decided to give the vertical pano a try.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A6500, A6000, Apeman A80, & a bunch of Lenses.............  (external link)
click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,746 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 17, 2015 19:25 |  #35

Love that one, John.

My first pano, stitched together with ZoomBrowser. I didn't spend much time on this, but this is the view from my backyard right now.

HOSTED PHOTO

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
17,933 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 17, 2015 20:34 |  #36

Love both of them, John and Stina!

Levina

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
17,933 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Levina de Ruijter. (2 edits in all)

Oct 17, 2015 21:30 |  #37

So, I've been doing something that is more or less insane. I did a kind of street panorama or people panorama. I had seen an image like that a while ago and thought it pretty cool and as I have no beautiful, exotic landscape here, I thought, let's do this.

My first plan was to go to some nice, interesting location and shoot there. But it's October and it's cold and I would have to be out every day for hours. I couldn't do that. So I decided to just shoot this from my living room. Of course that room is on the third floor (4th in the US) and that is not really a good idea when you are shooting a pano as distortions creep in more easily.

Then, I didn't have a good lens for this and in the end decided on an old Fujinon 135mm lens (it's not in the gear list so I chose the FD 135mm lens). Manual focus only. Bad idea. Because I focus for one focus zone and suddenly something happens in another zone and there's no time to use live view. So I have lots of off focus and blurry shots. And I used them too. The lens also suffers from the worst possible chromatic aberration.

Then I was shooting every day for 5 days and in all kinds of weather, from sunny to rain to foggy, misty, hazy, grey and what have you. And it shows.

I've been shooting every day on and off, and at night worked to put the shots together. Of course I made lots of mistakes but by the time I had an idea of how to do this there wasn't enough time left to start over. I had planned to put in much more people but IQ is really bad and it's bugging me more and more. Besides, this thing is starting to drive me nuts now, so I'm posting it as is, with rough edges and all. :)

I've used over 200 shots for this. The final file was almost 30000x30000 pixels big and over 4GB.
There is a larger version on flickr: https://www.flickr.com …2247738862/in/d​ateposted/ (external link)
I also uploaded a 10000px version to flickr, but I'm not sure if you can see it? Try looking under "See all sizes".

The resulting image is not very good, but I can't tell you how much fun I had processing this every night. And I HATE processing!! :lol:

HOSTED PHOTO

Levina

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,746 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 17, 2015 21:45 |  #38

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17749704 (external link)
Love both of them, John and Stina!

Thanks, Levina.

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17749762 (external link)
So, I've been doing something that is more or less insane. I did a kind of street panorama or people panorama. I had seen an image like that a while ago and thought it pretty cool and as I have no beautiful, exotic landscape here, I thought, let's do this.

Wow! That's crazy, Levina. Love it!

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,237 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Oct 17, 2015 22:12 |  #39

My first plan was to go to some nice, interesting location and shoot there. But it's October and it's cold and I would have to be out every day for hours. I couldn't do that. So I decided to just shoot this from my living room. Of course that room is on the third floor (4th in the US) and that is not really a good idea when you are shooting a pano as distortions creep in more easily.

Then, I didn't have a good lens for this and in the end decided on an old Fujinon 135mm lens. Manual focus only. Bad idea. Because I focus for one focus zone and suddenly something happens in another zone and there's no time to use live view. So I have lots of off focus and blurry shots. And I used them too. The lens also suffers from the worst possible chromatic aberration.

Then I was shooting every day for 5 days and in all kinds of weather, from sunny to rain to foggy, misty, hazy, grey and what have you. And it shows.

I've been shooting every day on and off, and at night worked to put the shots together. Of course I made lots of mistakes but by the time I had an idea of how to do this there wasn't enough time left to start over. I had planned to put in much more people but IQ is really bad and it's bugging me more and more. Besides, this thing is starting to drive me nuts now, so I'm posting it as is, with rough edges and all. :)

I've used about 180 shots for this. The final file was almost 30000x30000 pixels big and over 4GB.
There is a larger version on flickr: https://www.flickr.com …2247738862/in/d​ateposted/ (external link)
I also uploaded a 10000px version to flickr, but I'm not sure if you can see it? Try looking under "See all sizes".

The resulting image is not very good, but I can't tell you how much fun I had processing this every night. And I HATE processing!! :lol:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Levina de Ruijter in
./showthread.php?p=177​49762&i=i165937277
forum: Member Activities

Love it Levina. Very cool!

Mark

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,861 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 18, 2015 04:42 |  #40

couple of comparison panos, one shot with visible light camera, the other with a IR modified R72 body using same lens (50mm F/1.8 MK II)
It shouldn't be too hard to pick the infra one...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
17,933 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Levina de Ruijter.

Oct 18, 2015 05:47 |  #41

Thanks very much, Stina, Mark and Joeseph.

Those are great panos, Joeseph.

As my street pano is downsized and rather small here and you can't zoom in much, I thought I would post a 100% crop of one of my favourite details. :-)

HOSTED PHOTO

Levina

hawaiiboy
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 18, 2015 11:17 |  #42

Wow.....Levina that is amazing.
Great tree shot John.
Stina...great shot....love the view.
Joseph....I really like both of those, but the ir is my favourite.

A couple of walls from me.

IMAGE: http://kmrose.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v25/p1563913909-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://kmrose.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v171/p1563913908-5.jpg

https://www.flickr.com​/gp/hawaiiboy/6V74P7 (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/hawaiiboy59/ (external link)
Kevin

joayne
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,779 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 18, 2015 12:15 |  #43

Then, I didn't have a good lens for this and in the end decided on an old Fujinon 135mm lens. Manual focus only. Bad idea. Because I focus for one focus zone and suddenly something happens in another zone and there's no time to use live view. So I have lots of off focus and blurry shots. And I used them too. The lens also suffers from the worst possible chromatic aberration.

I've used about 180 shots for this. The final file was almost 30000x30000 pixels big and over 4GB.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Levina de Ruijter in
./showthread.php?p=177​49762&i=i165937277
forum: Member Activities

...And of course there are bicycles!

So as I understand this.. you shot the same scene as a pano for 5 days and merged everything you captured into one image... Is that why it looks like some bicycles and autos might collide? The two people headed toward each other on the mobility scooters for instance?

And the birds are so cute!

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
17,933 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Levina de Ruijter. (3 edits in all)

Oct 18, 2015 12:38 |  #44

joayne wrote in post #17750506 (external link)
...And of course there are bicycles!

LOL. Yep! :lol:

So as I understand this.. you shot the same scene as a pano for 5 days and merged everything you captured into one image... Is that why it looks like some bicycles and autos might collide? The two people headed toward each other on the mobility scooters for instance?

Yes. I first made the background by taking I don't know how many shots and merging them in Photoshop, so that was my background. It was sunny that day...
Then I began to shoot the people. Most were alone, some were with another person, or with a child. And then I merged the shots that I liked and masked out what I couldn't use. I put people together that weren't, had people step into cars that weren't theirs. And I designed a few new cars too, as the parked cars kept changing on me of course, so I had to be inventive there. :lol: And then there's the weather. I started with a sunny, mild day and then went to cold, hazy, rain and what not. So you see people wearing all kinds of outfits.

Here's a shot to give you an idea of scale. It's unprocessed, uncropped, so SOOC. Just resized for POTN.

HOSTED PHOTO

And the birds are so cute!

Aren't they? I was shooting the corner where the tree is and suddenly saw them come in. I'm delighted I managed to get them in focus!

Levina

Don1
Cream of the Crop
6,410 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2015 14:05 as a reply to  @ Levina de Ruijter's post |  #45

A wonderful image Levina. I first saw this on Flickr and I wondered about so much activity on the street and the different seasonal clothes that people were wearing. Now I understand. You sure put a lot of work into this and congratulations on the result.

Don
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon G9, EFS 15-85mm 3.5-5.6, EF 70-200mm F4 L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8 II, EF 40mm F2.8, Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM
See my photos on My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

13,859 views & 50 likes for this thread
WORLDWIDE PHOTO WEEK: Part 485 - Panorama
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.