Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2015 (Thursday) 17:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking SL1 ???

Docsknotinn
152 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Docsknotinn.

Sep 14, 2015 11:08 |  #16

Seems like you made a good choice and I've been thinking of grabbing an SL1 as well. It will of course depend on where you live but with the current sale I can buy a new SL1 less than a refurb since Canon charges sales tax and shipping. I'm not much of a kit lens fan either. There's nothing wrong with them for flexibility but I'd rather have a fixed aperture lens. I recently sold off a 5D3 and glass. The simple truth is that my gear had just been setting...and depreciating. I did keep my 35 f2 IS which may be a bit tankish on the SL1 but if I don't like that I can always sell it off and grab a 24 and a 40. I just want to carry less weight, volume and $$ in a camera bag. I'm still a bit undecided though. For me it's either this or totally cash out of Canon and grab a x100T.

sponsored links
jack_dorsey
280 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 15, 2015 07:44 |  #17

Hi,

On my SL1 I find my 18-55 STM and 55-250 STM more convenient to carry than my 24 mm STM but that has to do with me almost always wearing a back pack of some type when I using it. Every one of my many backpacks has a chest strap that is a handy place for me to store my SL1 when moving. I just tuck the SL1 against my chest with the bottom against my chest and the lens pointed down such the lens is between the chest strap and my chest. The SL1 is held in place above the chest strap with the camera strap loose around my neck as a safety measure.

I just slide it out or unbuckle the chest strap to take shots then slide it back in to hike, climb, or run. That does not work well with the pancake lenses (24m and 40mm STMs) as the lens does not stick far enough down below the chest strap to keep the camera in place when I'm moving.

If it is not precipitating then I keep the SL1 there when I'm likely to take pictures. Otherwise I store it stuff sack in the pack padded by some thing.

The lightest pack that I use is a 12.5 ounce Black Diamond Bullet pack made for technical climbing.

Jack
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon SL1, 430EX II, EFS 18-55 IS STM, EFS 55-250 IS STM, EF 50mm 1.8 STM, EF 85mm 1.8, EF 100-400mm L II, Canon 1.4 III teleconverter

daleg
645 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by daleg.

Sep 15, 2015 12:30 as a reply to  @ Docsknotinn's post |  #18

I've had the SL1 for several months and I love it. So does my wife - as it's now with her in Ireland and Scotland for another week or so. Couple weeks ago, I evaluated the 100-400mm II (at the beach) & while that lens spent most of its time on a 1D3 with or without sticks (monopod mostly), I did remove the foot one afternoon and mounted it to the little SL1. Amazingly, I found it to be a VERY usable combo. Thought I'd hate it, but - in fact - I probably had my most productive daylight session with that combo. But YMMV. i was also evaluating the 11-24mm (that's a separate story. In one word: wow!).

I've also recently acquired the M3 w/EVF & today's 4 EF-M lenses from a poster at "FM". While I'm fumbling a bit with this newest addition to my kit (a 1D3, 5D2, 5D, 70D, 40D, SL1 & Fuji X100S collection), so far, I am liking what I've seen - a lot.

the new EF-M lenses have a more solid, compact, metal feel - impressive build quality. IQ is also impressive & they feel much nicer than the EF-S/EF STM lenses - all of which I think I have except the 24-105 stm (as I have the L variant of that lens).

these existing STM lenses (10-18, 18-55, 18-135, 24, 40, 50 & 55-250) seem to function well (fast and accurate AF) on the M3, I find myself using the 18-135mm - despite it's greater mass when added to the adapter - as much or at times more than the stm primes. I like its practical range and image IQ,

the other EF/EF-S lenses? I'm still experimenting - so my opinions are all over the place - depending on the lens in question. someday I'll master these combinations - what works well vs what does not - but I'm not depending (for use on the M3) on much of my non-STM collection of EF & EF-S glass - at this point.

I do know that my APS-C Tamron EF 16-300mm VC PZD - does not work AT ALL on the M3. It fails to AF a couple times before causing the camera to essentially shut down. I've heard this is also true of other similar Tamron lenses on the M3. tamron has acknowledged this problem - but, to date - has no fix.

In the 3 or so years since Fuji released its MILC system, they have released 16 high quality lenses. This is in stunning contrast to Canon's 4 EF-M STMs. Were I not so invested in the Canon ecosystem, my X100S would have a growing number of Fuji companions.

But, I'm hoping that Canon quits protecting its existing DSLR market positions - as it sure seems that Canon fears cannibalizing its current standing with professional and advanced amateur photographers. Arguably not unlike how kodak protected their film customers from that evil onslaught of binary code.

I'd suggest Canon review how kodak's old protective strategy played out.

Anyhow, while I love the SL1, don't be too quick to dismiss this M3. While I do not think this MILC has reached its design potential, I think it is now a high quality camera - worthy of SERIOUS consideration. I hope canon's recent decision to belatedly announce an October USA/CA launch is finally an indication that they will aggressively develop their mirrorless (M) system.

Then again, this is the third time in three years that this precise rumor has circulated.

But this time I've bought into the M system. In simple terms, I want to use this camera. I really look forward to seeing more reviews and user reports. Also, maybe someday somebody will publish a real guide. HINT (hoping DB finds this) - as of today, the only english resource I find is canon's PDF (I'm not a fan of digital manuals - aka binary sleeping pills).

Anyhow, the SL1 is a fun little camera. I really like it, but I keep bumping into the numerous compromises Canon designed into it - so as to not have it compete with its more expensive rebel siblings.

I'm interested to see the specs on the rumored SL2 (august slipped by without a peep).

Have fun and enjoy!

watson76
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 16, 2015 10:53 as a reply to  @ Docsknotinn's post |  #19

A while back I bought a Canon 6D. Really loved it, but with the 25-105 it wasn't going places with me. I solid it and purchased a Fuji XT10 with 18-55. The Fuji really has some nice image quality, but the handling leaves quite a bit to be desired. Honestly I missed the simplicity of Canon's menu system and overall design (maybe I am just used to it). The SL1 really isn't much bigger then the Fuji and I feel it connects better with the photographer, besides as much as I love the nostalgic look of the Fuji dials, I can navigate that touch screen 10x faster (that's just me, I use phones and tablets, so touch screens make better sense). It's funny even though the SL1 ranks lower according to DXO, in real world use I see little difference between this camera and other models, in fact I think Canon's per pixel detail is better than Fuji and other models I have used, I prefer the silky smooth look and more natural color rendition from Canon. Fuji can produce deeper greens and nicer skin under certain conditions, but the Canon isn't far off and a tiny bit of work in lightroom closes the gap.

JBlake
126 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 17, 2015 07:54 |  #20

tfd wrote in post #17706497 (external link)
It is a back handed compliment. It is totally fine for what it is, and mine gets used quite a bit, but there is no denying its limitations, especially when the light starts to turn from great.

That same logic, back handed compliment, would apply to the 15-85, 400 5.6L, 70-300L and the also limited 100-400L II. The 18-55 STM just looks and feels extraordinarily cheap and plastic, but makes up for that with great optics, along with fast and accurate AF, according to SLRgear, and photozone and with me playing around with one at Bestbuy. At those sites, the 18-55 STM looks to be as sharp or sharper than the 24-105L (on a crop body) at all comparable focal lengths and apertures.

I just bought a SL1 + 18-55 STM on eBay for $292.07. I will compare that Canon combo to my Nikon D800E + 24-85 VR as soon as I get my hands on it.

watson76
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 22, 2015 09:00 |  #21

I really love the 50 STM, however I can't seem to connect with the 24 STM. I admit I am not much of a wide-angle shooter.

JBlake
126 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 23, 2015 17:48 |  #22

Well, I just got the SL1, and it is smaller than I realized. It is not very comfortable to hold; index finger and pinkie above and below the camera body and the other two fingers around the grip. I find my thumb does not have a very comfortable/natural place to rest. It is really funny in how much smaller the SL1 is compared to the D800E. The SL1 is more of an handling issue with it's small size than the D800E is as far as being too large.

I did a test shot of a homemade test scene, with the D800E and the 24-85 VR at 85mm and f/8 vs the SL1 and the 18-55 STM and the 55-250 STM both at 55mm and f/5.6. It was really difficult to tell which camera/lens combo was the sharpest. I was viewing the images in Photoshop CC, SL1 at 70% and I think the D800E at 46%, the image area was slightly larger than a 30" x 45".

The SL1 is cute and all that, low cost compared to Canon full frame camera's, but I think I will sell both camera's and lens, D800E and SL1 and go with a D7200 or 6D size camera instead.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

bms259
425 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 23, 2015 21:11 |  #23

I appreciate this thread. I'm thinking EOS M/M3 or SL1 as a smaller option to my 5D III. I think I'd like the SL1 better, but I think I'd love be the 22mm f2 m-lens over the 24mm 2.8 EF-S.

Hermelin
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Hermelin.

Sep 24, 2015 02:39 |  #24

watson76 wrote in post #17702702 (external link)
I am switching from Fuji back to a DSLR. I used to shoot canon, did a stint with mirrorless and now I am back. I am thinking about a Rebel and the SL1 is very inexpensive right now. Was thinking of skipping the kit lens (is it worth it ?) and getting the 24 2.8 STM and 50 1.8 STM primes for a nice compact setup.

I was looking at the newer rebels like the t6i, but I am not really sure if it's worth the jump in price. Also considering the T5i, but again the SL1 is very attractive at $399 body only.

Trying to be cheap right now and stay around $750 mark.

I have both 2 lenses (but a 70D) and it's a good combo although I wish the 24 had f/2, however (there is a recent rumor of a ef-s 22 f/2 however). You can still get some thin DOF shots if you just get close enough and it's a perfect focal length for everyday shooting IMO

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/pEQlXn3.jpg

Fujifilm X100F

ian_socool
Goldmember
1,803 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 16, 2015 17:55 |  #25

I just bought a refurb from Canon with a 50 shutter count.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

70D, 70D, SL1, Tokina 11-16 F/2.8, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

DavidWatts
972 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by DavidWatts.

Oct 22, 2015 19:46 as a reply to  @ ian_socool's post |  #26

I own two SL1's and they're both great little cameras. One of these was converted by LifePixel to IR and I'll mount either the 24 pancake or use the 18-55 that came with it. The other I just usually keep the 18-55 on it to keep the weight down. For important shooting I'll still shoot with my 5D3 and L's, but for walkarounds and casual shooting you almost can't beat the SL's, and they're compatible with my other lenses.

IMAGE: http://www.davidwattsphotography.com/photos/i-gNjvJ5g/1/XL/i-gNjvJ5g-XL.jpg

My Smugmug site (external link)

sponsored links

5,419 views & 4 likes for this thread
Thinking SL1 ???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.