Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 23 Oct 2015 (Friday) 06:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Think Tank's new Old Lady Bags

PhotogNY
601 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 23, 2015 06:14 |  #1

Think Tank finally has a line out for women! ......very old, conservative women. E for effort Think Tank! It's a good start.

Think Tank Lily Deanne Series (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Photographer's Guide to Copyright Law Basics (external link)

sponsored links
gtvone
44 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 23, 2015 09:41 |  #2

Tanks for the feedback, I think ;-)a

Simon // thinkTank

http://gtvone.com (external link)

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 24, 2015 20:36 |  #3

They look like cool bags but I'm unclear as to what makes them women-specific.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

crbinson
604 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 24, 2015 22:07 |  #4

n1as wrote in post #17758960 (external link)
They look like cool bags but I'm unclear as to what makes them women-specific.

Marketing ;-)a

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,263 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 24, 2015 22:09 |  #5

Nice looking.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by happy2010. (7 edits in all)

Oct 25, 2015 01:16 |  #6

Hi Simon/gtvone,

I very much like the new TT Lily Deanne bags, (particularly the "Mezzo" model) based on the preliminary Think Tank Photo web site pictures & video;
https://www.thinktankp​hoto.com …roducts/lily-deanne-mezzo (external link)
for the following reasons:
- quiet elegant style (seems like exemplary charming TT co-founder Deanne Fitzmaurice grace)
- a zippered top and wide enough to easily access (finally, thank you Think Tank!)
- critically important light-weight (again thank you Think Tank)
- would help reinforce my desired photography branding (i.e. of being organized, professional & quality imagery).

I was tempted to order one, however unfortunately the deal breaker for me is the color of the lining & outside stitching - both robbin's egg light blue! Oouch, a bit surprisingly disappointing.
[LIner color - the reason I never bought a Kata light stand bag, with its bright yellow-lining, in spite of its long ID LOA length & one of the few rolling lighting cases available which also simultaneously enables carrying 12ft light stands].
If there ever is a Think Tank Lily Deanne Mezzo (liquorice/black) Rev 2, hoping that has a more neutral liner, say Think Tank's conventional professional light-gray color and black outside stitching and outside styling a bit more feminine (it's still a bit too masculine looking). Then I'm sold on it!!

Overall, it is a nice refinement, including the accents of leather, of (what to me appears) fundamentally the Think Tank City Walker 20 with slight changes in its dimensions.
i.e.
on the ID: Width: 0.8" shorter (12.2 - 13.0), Height: 0.7"higher (9.4 - 8.7) [probably to enable zipper closing with a 70-200 f2.8 II lens]
on the OD: Depth: 0.6" narrower (6.1 - 6.7)

Lily Deanne Mezzo (black):
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ezzo_premium_qu​ality.html (external link) $ 249.95 USD
Interior Dimensions 12.2 x 9.4 x 5.3" / 31.0 x 24.0 x 13.5 cm
Exterior Dimensions 13.8 x 9.8 x 6.1" / 35.0 x 25.0 x 15.5 cm
Weight 2.3 lb / 1.0 kg

City Walker 20:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …walker_20_Blue_​Slate.html (external link) $ 144.75 USD
(appears it is no longer available/made in just back).
Exterior Dimensions 13.8 x 9.8 x 6.7" (35.1 x 24.9 x 17.0 cm)
Interior Dimensions 13.0 x 8.7 x 5.3" (33.0 x 22.1 x 13.5 cm)
wt: 2.3 lb

While a manufacturer can't please everyone/all demographics all of the time, the efforts & dedication of innovative Think Tank Photo is appreciated (including the "less gear is more gear" perspective, to some aspects of the company's product line).

So for the near future, based on the above, I will have continue to utilize my existing collection of other quality Think Tank (& Profoto) bags and rolling cases (like everyone, after years of an unmentionable array of bag iterations of various mfrs product lines including Lowepro, Think Tank, Manfrotto, etc.).

for auto & air transportation:
- TT Airport Security v2, or TT Airport International v2 rolling cases (for cameras, lenses & speedlights)
- Profoto Trolley rolling case (modified with locks & reinforced sides for air-travel; for strobe lighting stands & modifiers),
&/or Profoto Double case (for B1's, or D1Air-500's)

for shooting:
- TT City Walker 20(black) bag (a contouringly extremely comfortable bag & shoulder strap!)
or
- TT Skin 50 bag or Skin Body bag
(with for long 10-12hr gigs/activity, selective use of Cotton Carrier Vest & Holster worn discretely as possible under a light stylish dress-jacket/top)

for pleasure travel:
- Lowpro Passport III sling bag
(own the TT Speed Freak & Racer, which are nice shooting bags, but for some applications found them a bit bulky/rigid)

Just one view.

Mary
P.S. I'm a petite 5ft 2in woman, but I'm not an old lady!
(gently remembering: "Youth is a gift. Age is an art"!)

MARY

gtvone
44 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 15, 2015 21:16 as a reply to  @ happy2010's post |  #7

Hi Mary, cheers for the feedback, I've passed this on to both Lily and Deanne.

Thanks

--Simon

mmmagnum
49 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 16, 2015 13:44 |  #8

I'm a guy and like the looks of these bags... Thanks for the review!

happy2010
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by happy2010.

Nov 16, 2015 19:10 as a reply to  @ gtvone's post |  #9

Dear Simon/gtvone,

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

I greatly respect Deanne Fitzmaurice's code of conduct, agile & determined mind as well as Think Tank Photo Design team's creative solution-driven products, with consistent quality. Consistent quality - the hallmark of professionalism.

Your courtesy & conduct on this POTN forum is appreciated.
Similar to what appears to be Deanne's approach to photography, in effect: to be an excellent & differentiating photographer, you have to first be a good human being.

Thanks again, cheers...
Keep smiling.

Mary

MARY

gtvone
44 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 17, 2015 00:58 as a reply to  @ happy2010's post |  #10

Hi Mary, appreciate your reply!

Deanne and Lily are both great people who I am proud to call friends (despite living on the other side of the world to them both (Hello from Aus)) and I love that they've come together to create their namesake in the LilyDeanne... I am a 6'3" bloke and I do use the Tutto (Black) as my daily driver and, with all of its pockets, I love it.

I won't leave my email as it's against forum rules, but if there's anything I can help you out with regards bags, feel free to get in touch.

Cheers,

Simon

happy2010
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 18, 2015 09:29 as a reply to  @ gtvone's post |  #11

Thanks again, Simon.

Mary

MARY

happy2010
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by happy2010. (3 edits in all)

Feb 13, 2016 15:47 |  #12

A SECOND LOOK -> Reaction: Ooh-La-La !!

Ok, I took a second look at this bag recently, this time physically (after previously only viewing on the internet: new release, web site, etc.).
and after a close scrutiny... I've now purchased it!

Think Tank Lily Deanne Mezzo- Licorice/black [Mfr # 369]:
https://www.thinktankp​hoto.com …-mezzo?variant=87943752​35 (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ezzo_premium_qu​ality.html (external link)

Thank you Think Tank Photo's whole team (including: Lily Fisher & Deanne Fitzmaurice for your thoughtful design-elements).

With time, I have reflected and again carefully re-assessed objectively about the bag:
- a very well designed & incredibly consolidated with all functions one needs for on the go photography & general use. A comprehensive one bag solution.
- narrow depth (OD: 6.1") of the bag is uncompromising, yet enables the bag to unobtrusively rest by one's side, for easy manoeuvring in crowded/congested places, or for ease with client meetings, etc. (not quite as contouring as the City Walker 20, but still very acceptable & more professionally presentable with the added benefit of a top zipper for additional security & easy camera/lens access).
- overall quite refined style (and yes even with the sparrow egg light-blue color liner, which is on reflection actually quite nice, a happy or feminine feeling and complements the bag well. On the internet viewing initially I wasn't keen on the liner colour, but now am convinced was a pleasant designer's choice).
- shoulder strap pad feels slightly too stiff, with the somewhat uncomfortable result of not laying flat at the shoulder/neck contact point; but this eases somewhat with use & becomes a bit more pliable - but is still a bit of an issue for my ergonomics.
(appears slightly more padded than the TT City Walker 20 shoulder strap pad, which I find is the most comfortable strap pad of all many years of photography bags, regardless of all manufacturers. YES it is that good!)
- stylish which helps differentiate and reinforce my photography branding (targeting the upper-end of market).
(but for my individual taste, the bag could still look a bit more feminine; that 's obviously an individual judgement/style call, so a manufacturer can't totally satisfy everyone customer).

- potential caveat:
the magnets (stitched into the front flap & two small outer side-pocket flaps) while very convenient are a bit concerning to me (when I have a wallet, CF memory cards, or small portable hard drive in the large zippered inner side-pocket). While these objects are approx 1" (25mm's) away from the small magnets stitched into the bag, I am quite concerned that it may have the potential to adversely affect or destroy the electronic info stored on the various objects.
My lack of knowledge on the subject of magnetism (& rare earth magnets specifically, which I think maybe approx. 1.5x stronger than conventional magnets & may need to keep sensitive objects say 2" away?); maybe just an unnecessary concern, but I don't know. So just like the old clique: "when in doubt - don't" causes me to not want to put my wallet/credit cards/CF memory cards/portable hard drive in this nice zippered inner-side pocket of this great bag.
Any tech guys/gals that can provide any insight or information on this subject/magnetism (& my maybe unfounded caution/concern), I would be most appreciative.

This will be my new quick go-to bag, enabling ease & style, for fielding a multitude of planned & unplanned situations/application​s
(or when I just want to have some effective camera equipment along with me, without a full or elaborate ensemble of photography gear ).

For my individual needs this bag will hold:
- Canon 5Dmkiii with mounted 24-70Lf2.8mkII [Until a Canon 5Dmkiv, or Nikon D810 mkII]
- Canon 70-200f2.8L mkII
- Canon 85f1.2L &/or Canon 600EX-RT (with canon ST-E3-RT transmitter)
- misc photo stuff (such as: lens cloth, Rogue Flashbender, small LED flashlight for macro, etc.)
- 10" Samsung notepad
- wallet
- business cards
- pen paper
- smart phone
- sports car keys
- etc.

CONCLUSION:
This quality bag, is similar to a well put together woman, or man, who has brains & beauty and carries themselves with poise, grace or charm - worth a second look!!

Thank you Think Tank Photo.com,
from a happy customer who likes & respects quality photography manufacturers, which consistently deliver solution-driven products.

Just one view...

Mary
(P.S. no affiliation to the manufacturer).

MARY

sponsored links

4,248 views & 4 likes for this thread
Think Tank's new Old Lady Bags
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.