Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 12 Oct 2015 (Monday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Street portrait shooters, how do you single out a stranger in a group

Masa ­ Yume
36 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 12, 2015 12:01 |  #1

The way I normally shoot street, I either a) don't ask before I shoot, which doesn't work well for a portrait or b) ask the person for a portrait if they're by themselves. To get a portrait of one person in a group, however, seems difficult.

It's usually just one person I want to get, but I figure I have to shoot each person so it doesn't look strange on what I'm doing.

I feel pretty awkward in this scenario, because the group usually will agree if it's the whole group in the photo. They don't get why this stranger just showed up and wants to take each person's photo individually, I hate making a group wait while I shoot each person one at a time (takes time).

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,013 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 12, 2015 12:23 |  #2

Honestly you probably don't. Offer to take individual shots of each and get the one you want. The dynamics of separating a person from group are on their face suspicious. Explaining that one of the group meets your criteria while the others do not almost always comes off as offensive.

PhotosGuy
75,651 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 12, 2015 12:27 |  #3

Masa Yume wrote in post #17742492 (external link)
It's usually just one person I want to get, but I figure I have to shoot each person so it doesn't look strange on what I'm doing.

Try the 85 f/1.2 wide open. If you don't like that, stop down to f/2. If you don't like that, stop down to f/2.8, etc.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 24, 2015 01:15 |  #4

Masa Yume wrote in post #17742492 (external link)
The way I normally shoot street, I either a) don't ask before I shoot, which doesn't work well for a portrait or b) ask the person for a portrait if they're by themselves. To get a portrait of one person in a group, however, seems difficult.

I feel pretty awkward in this scenario, because the group usually will agree if it's the whole group in the photo. They don't get why this stranger just showed up and wants to take each person's photo individually, I hate making a group wait while I shoot each person one at a time (takes time)

It's not what i call "Street photo", if you make contact before the shot, you loose the "street situation", you loose the natural of the people and most important it is not anymore a frozen moment of "life" on your picture, it just become a portraiture session with the famous "say cheese" ...
In my very humble opinion.

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,702 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 24, 2015 01:39 |  #5

You can talk to the subject and it still be considered street. The current most famous street photographer does it all the time and if you watch his videos on YouTube the subject's interaction is beautiful.

More importantly it matters more than some stupid archaic concept that we have to force the subject to feel uncomfortable just so we can say it was un forced. It's not candid it's just freaking weird to be into stuff like that for no othee reason than your own ego because nobody else cares if it was candid or not.

Street has change since the HCB days, his way of shooting would be completely different in the current age, if you watch his late interviews he even admits to it.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Reservoir Dog. (2 edits in all)

Oct 24, 2015 01:53 |  #6

maverick75 wrote in post #17758067 (external link)
You can talk to the subject and it still be considered street. The current most famous street photographer does it all the time and if you watch his videos on YouTube the subject's interaction is beautiful.

More importantly it matters more than some stupid archaic concept that we have to force the subject to feel uncomfortable just so we can say it was un forced. It's not candid it's just freaking weird to be into stuff like that for no othee reason than your own ego because nobody else cares if it was candid or not.

Street has change since the HCB days, his way of shooting would be completely different in the current age, if you watch his late interviews he even admits to it.

Are we living on the same planet? i don't even understand what you are speaking about.... can you develop why do you want to make the subject uncomfortable? i am out here i don't get it ?

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,214 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 25, 2015 02:40 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #7

I’m pretty semantically flexible with the word “street,” since it is such a grossly ambiguous categorization anyway. And after all, the OP’s point was how to get a portrait shot of someone on “the street,” fair enough.

However, to say that candid street shots (and I qualify such as ‘candid’ since street doesn’t even have to contain a human subject) are somehow “archaic” or exists to feed one’s ego is ridiculously simplistic and completely untenable.

For one thing, photographing a fleeting event is not an aspect saddled with a historical expiration date, lest photography itself become a dreadfully prosaic art. And yes, an extremely relevant aspect of candid street shots involves the transient aesthetic, one that often cannot be recreated nor necessarily should be recreated.

Secondly, instead of citing the currently most famous street photographer (whoever this might be in your mind), you might want to look around at the actual state of street photography because it is quite broad and diverse in its overarching style. For it to funnel into one particular trend would be most unfortunate.

Thirdly, you might want to clarify on how you are applying “stupid” and “weird.” Are you merely targeting people who essentially brag that this or that shot was “candid,” as though the photograph was great largely for this sake alone (which was not Reservoir Dog’s point)?

Or is your chastisement directed at all of candid street photography, in which case you would basically be denigrating not only many of the world’s greatest photographers (irrespective of genre), but their numerous admirers.

Concern for privacy and respect is understandable, and the extent to which a photographer imposes on another person is undoubtedly a matter of reasonable debate (this goes for legitimate reportage too, not just candid street).

But as I’ve said on this site in the past, I would hate to think that the photographic scope of humankind should be reduced to posed shots or those only taken with precursory consent. “Street portraits” have there place, as do documentaries where the subject and photographer have an established agreement. But equally valid is the photographing of life unencumbered by preemptive direction.

And should Henri Cartier-Bresson be out of style, so should Shakespeare, Mozart, Davis, Joyce, Rembrandt, Adams, and, well, the point being is that great art, however weighted it might be by the label subjective, is nevertheless timeless. And really, taking portraits of people, whether on the street or in the studio, is not exactly a new concept. In fact, it predates the days of HCB…

And please, let’s not presuppose what Cartier-Bresson would be doing today, any more than we should question what Van Goh might be doing today, since such speculation is just that, speculation. Moreover, it’s largely irrelevant, since what they actually did is what matters.

Besides, any ‘change’ to conform to today’s expectations doesn’t mean that such change would be for the better…and I certainly haven’t seen anything that would suggest such improvement inevitable, far from it.

But yeah, I’m out as well, since consensus on this issue will remain elusive, and more importantly, it digresses from the OP.

By the way, if time permits, suggestions to take individual shots of all the group is a good idea; and who knows, the best photo might actually be of someone other than the intended subject.

Summer 2017 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

sponsored links

2,751 views & 2 likes for this thread
Street portrait shooters, how do you single out a stranger in a group
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.