Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?

BJ_Nguyen
406 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 26, 2015 12:34 |  #976

Hi all ! This is gonna be my first strobe ever. And I need your help. Just ordered Rovelight RL-600B. What should I get to use with PCB 47" Octabox ? Thank you in advance.

sponsored links
Harth
120 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 26, 2015 12:49 |  #977

BJ_Nguyen wrote in post #17760893 (external link)
Hi all ! This is gonna be my first strobe ever. And I need your help. Just ordered Rovelight RL-600B. What should I get to use with PCB 47" Octabox ? Thank you in advance.

Bowens Speedring Adapter
Part Number: FSB-BA
http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/speedrings.php (external link)

OR:

Bowens RD-6210
http://www.adorama.com​/BZRD6210.html (external link)

I recently ordered and attached the second one (RD-6210) and it works perfectly.

Chris
Washington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link) // Facebook (external link) // Instagram (external link)

BJ_Nguyen
406 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 26, 2015 15:54 as a reply to  @ Harth's post |  #978

Thank you so much !:-)

thonee27
297 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 27, 2015 20:04 |  #979

Does the rove light includes a transmitter?

www.marthonee.com (external link)

jmaher
571 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 27, 2015 21:41 |  #980

It does and it will control the power of the lights. However you need a separate one if you want to do HSS.

showtm490
948 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2015 13:34 |  #981

I've been waiting on the YN685EX to come out as I'm liking to idea of the built-in receiver and the extra power over my 430EX for just $117 but I was told to also checkout the RoveLight 600 at $480. From what I've read it's like a speedlight but with a lot more power. I haven't seen anywhere but does it lose power in HSS like a speedlight? Will my Yongnuo 622-TX control the stops like the speedlight?

JohnBphotography.net (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Sony A7 III with Grip - Canon 5D3 with Grip - Canon 16-35 f4 IS - Tamron 28-75 f2.8 - Canon 50 f1.4 - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - Canon 430EX - Flashpoint XPLOR600 - AB 47' Octa

OceanRipple*
842 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by OceanRipple*. (4 edits in all)

Oct 28, 2015 14:56 as a reply to  @ showtm490's post |  #982

Hi, The Rovelight/Jinbei HD600 is essentially a studio strobe with a built-in battery. So it's relatively big & heavy - but it offers 600ws at an incredible price.

The included Jinbei trigger can remotely change power - but your 622 will not do that. Conversely, your 622 can pass on the early trigger signal required for Supersync (not true HSS complete with 50 KHz pulsing). So a common setup is to use the Jinbei trigger in your pocket for power setting, while using a Yn 622 link (or Phottix Odin link, my case) to do the actual 'in-sync' triggering (with greater reliability & range).

BJ_Nguyen
406 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 28, 2015 20:33 |  #983

1 more question : which sync cable to connect to YN-622C ? I just recieved cable from Adorama but it won't fit. it was PC to SUB mini FAPCR. Thank you

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 28, 2015 22:32 as a reply to  @ BJ_Nguyen's post |  #984

Hi guys, ok, so i have been looking to upgrade from my 60D to the 6D and now is the time... however, i have a couple questions or concerns...So Ive been using my Rovelight 600 as my main strobe when outdoors, now I find out that the 6D has a max shutter speed of 4000. I guess 4k isnt too bad and I wont be using it for fast sports. I have wanted the 6D forever and seeing the results I have seen here, does anyone who owns the 6d and use the RL regret their purchase if they could have gone with a 5dII/III? I dont think ill mind the lack of multi cross points, but why the low SS and the low max sync speed? Thanks!!

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,409 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 29, 2015 01:35 |  #985

digitalduck wrote in post #17763994 (external link)
Hi guys, ok, so i have been looking to upgrade from my 60D to the 6D and now is the time... however, i have a couple questions or concerns...So Ive been using my Rovelight 600 as my main strobe when outdoors, now I find out that the 6D has a max shutter speed of 4000. I guess 4k isnt too bad and I wont be using it for fast sports. I have wanted the 6D forever and seeing the results I have seen here, does anyone who owns the 6d and use the RL regret their purchase if they could have gone with a 5dII/III? I dont think ill mind the lack of multi cross points, but why the low SS and the low max sync speed? Thanks!!

Heya,

Realistically, the 1/4000s is not a limitation for a strobist. If you were doing 1/8000s in day light with HSS, you were already probably having to either stop down aperture (from something like F1.2) or use ND filters anyways, just to not clip highlights, if someone actually needed 1/8000s in the sun. It's possible, but that's very, very niche frankly. I would happily be stuck at 1/4000s and lower. That 1 stop of shutter speed is near meaningless to me for portrait photography (or any photography frankly, don't even need 1/8000s for BIF, etc).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

OceanRipple*
842 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Oct 29, 2015 03:13 as a reply to  @ BJ_Nguyen's post |  #986

The Rovelight/Jinbei HD600 takes a mono mini-phone input.

hidroela
305 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 29, 2015 18:47 |  #987

I just got today the strobe, does the LCD screen on it came with a protection plastic.my did not.and the strobe came with some scratch on it what make my to believe that it was a used one.
Also how do I know that they send me the upgraded remote.

PĂ©rez
GEAR

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by PhilF. (3 edits in all)

Oct 29, 2015 22:26 |  #988

Have been using the Rovelight for 2-3 weeks now out in jobs and the HSS is NOT consistent. Sometimes it works... sometimes it doesn't. Today. we went out to do some golf on location shots for high school and we were using a 5D MK II and 7D MK II. The HSS doesn't work. It worked a couple days ago out on a job shooting 60 kids for track. When we went back from shooting Golf high school in the studio, we tried it again and it works in the studio. It has fresh batts and everything... the HSS is not reliable out on jobs. This happened a couple of times already. I wonder if we got a defective unit.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 29, 2015 23:03 as a reply to  @ PhilF's post |  #989

Something funny going on there. I've used mine almost exclusively in HSS and I've never had a failure. Maybe time to RMA it?

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

OceanRipple*
842 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by OceanRipple*. (2 edits in all)

Oct 30, 2015 04:41 |  #990

The only 'H' fail I've had was operator error - I initially neglected to verify that 'H' or 'H-lightening bolt' appeared on both the 600 and on my Odin TCU screens. (I think the 600 had reverted during a sleep phase.) BTW, with a 622 setup how do you verify that the system is actually using the Early trigger signal (except by taking a trial shot - and getting a fail)?

sponsored links

444,573 views & 481 likes for this thread
Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.